Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today when I started the 'X that my check engine light flashed on/off a few times before it went off. Before today it only flashed once as I started the 'X. Is this normal? I have about 6,050 miles ... is this a warning for the upcoming 7,500 maintenance? Too cold to go get the manual in the garage :(.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Ms. Mdx said:
... is this a warning for the upcoming 7,500 maintenance? Thanks
Yep!

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
LOL - we should do a poll on the number of times folks have posted to the site cuz they didn't want to head out to the garage. :D

I'd have to count on 2 hands, and maybe a couple toes.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: Re: Check Engine Light

mdxxxx said:

Once you get to 7500 miles, the light will stay on continuously...
That's when the "how do I get the maintenance required light to turn off" post happens :)

I wonder if there's a version of the manual that says "if the maintenance required light remains lit continuously, post on acuramdx.org" :D

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
You'd think that something as complicated as a car with lots of buttons, people would pick up the owner's manual and read them... I lost count of how many times I've heard about the mysterious flashing maint. light.

Rob

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! To clarify, I did read most of the manual when I got the car 6 months ago, mostly paying attention to features, not problems.
When I posted it was around 10pm, about 30F in the garage and I was in my PJs . . . this is a tough crowd :D ;) .

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hold on.....

Ms. MDX, WHICH light is flashing? Your original post said the "Check Engine" light. That's different from the "Maintenance Required" light that flashes or stays on to indicate that it's time for the 7500 mi (or later) service.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Re: Hold on.....

dmyles said:
Ms. MDX, WHICH light is flashing? Your original post said the "Check Engine" light. That's different from the "Maintenance Required" light that flashes or stays on to indicate that it's time for the 7500 mi (or later) service.
Just what I was thinking. If the check engine light goes on with every start, you've got much more than a maintenance issue on your hands. Check again and please indicate with warning light is actually lit.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Yeah, me, too -- there's a BIG difference between Check Engine (which points to trouble) and Maint Required (which just says it's 6000 miles since it was last reset by the dealer [when it begins to flash] or 7500 miles since the last reset [when it stays on steady]).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is the "check engine" - lower left on the dash. When you turn the car on it will flash on/off 3-5 times (didn't get exact count) and then go off. Doesn't stay on and doesn't flash any other time.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Ms. Mdx: Its operation is not mentioned in the service manuals, and I haven't checked the owner's manual -- but that short flash when starting sounds just like what it should do, sort of like the flash sequence that the "key" symbol does when a properly-coded key is sensed. If the check engine light doesn't stay on, you're probably OK, unless the owner's manual says otherwise.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
I think you should be fine, here is what the 02 manual says:

"This indicator comes on when you turn the ignition switch ON (II) and goes off after the engine starts. If it comes on at any other time, it indicates one of the engine’s emissions control systems may have a problem. Even though you may feel no difference in your vehicle’s performance, it can reduce your fuel economy and cause your vehicle to put out excessive emissions."

Hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts