Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had the Check Emission light on and off for a couple of months. It has come and gone but the SH-AWD light started to show. I've just replaced the Oxygen sensor ($80) using a Oxygen Sensor Socket Wrench Tool ($15). It's not to hard to do the replacement after taking off the engine cover. It's a lot cheaper than getting this done a a dealership.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any chance that this issue was properly resolved? I have had a very similar problem with my 2008 RDX. I have had a recurring problem with the Emissions and AWD lights coming on and the dealer insisting it was just a loose gas cap. Then, on the highway I suddenly lost power and had to be towed - needed new alternator. If you have any evidence that this issue wit lights and the alternator are connected, I would appreciate the info.
What causes the SH-ADW and Emissions Light to come on with my 2011 Acura MDX

·
Registered
20 Posts
You really need to get a code reader and check the actual code on the computer if you have the Check Emissions and SH-AWD warning!

In my case it was dirty EGR valve and clogged EGR passages in the intake plenum. I'm not sure why the HELL Acura/Honda decided to disable the AWD if you have a "check engine" light.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
It only seems to does it when there is some part of the Emission System involved.. Probably due to the excessive fuel consumption it will get, If it unloads the AWD System the engine can work less and thus save MPGs which otherwise will add to the already low MPG numbers in the city. When I had issues with my TRS (Transmission Range Switch) it didn´t disable the AWD System.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just in case it helps someone, I had the tighten fuel cap error for months, and then finally got the Check Emissions system (p145c) and SH AWD (code 77) lights simultaneously earlier this week. I bought a purge control solenoid valve (https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-36162-RMX-A01-Solenoid-Assembly/dp/B00IFPEBDY) or more specifically the third party one I bought (https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/bwd-3123/fuel---emissions-16775/emission-smog-parts-16465/canister-purge-valve-solenoid-12047/solenoid/cp728/2592160/2010/acura/mdx?q=purge+control+solenoid) and it has fixed all issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2010 MDX with about 4,000 miles on it. I was driving the other day and the "check emissions" and "check SH-AWD" comes on. I tried tightening the gas cap which made it go away for a couple days, but it came back. Promptly brought it to the dealer who said it was a case of bad gas. After 1.5 new tanks though, I've still got the errors and have lost about 40 miles per tank of gas. I only put 93 octane, so haven't intentionally put lower octane stuff.

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, how did it get resolved?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Having problem right now with my 2008 rdx..i do use regular gas...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi There, I just bought a used 2008 MDX has 160,000 kms and after 1 week of ownership I started to get the same error message, sometimes both show up and then the AWD disappears and then eventually the emission disappears and then BAM they show up again. I have never owned an Acura. This is my first and will be my last. I thought Nissan was bad. I think Acura just took 1st place. I will take it to a trusted non-Acura dealership for their advice and then see what Acura has to say. I have not lost power thank goodness. However, I agree emissions has nothing to do with AWD unless Acura decided to build it that way just to mess with people.
Same problem...2008 accura..accura said my Turbo was shot...however that was 4 months ago and the car drives very well..Dont fall for turbo..get 2nd opinion

21 - 32 of 32 Posts