Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 MDX with about 4,000 miles on it. I was driving the other day and the "check emissions" and "check SH-AWD" comes on. I tried tightening the gas cap which made it go away for a couple days, but it came back. Promptly brought it to the dealer who said it was a case of bad gas. After 1.5 new tanks though, I've still got the errors and have lost about 40 miles per tank of gas. I only put 93 octane, so haven't intentionally put lower octane stuff.

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, how did it get resolved?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have a 2010 MDX with about 4,000 miles on it. I was driving the other day and the "check emissions" and "check SH-AWD" comes on. I tried tightening the gas cap which made it go away for a couple days, but it came back. Promptly brought it to the dealer who said it was a case of bad gas. After 1.5 new tanks though, I've still got the errors and have lost about 40 miles per tank of gas. I only put 93 octane, so haven't intentionally put lower octane stuff.

Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, how did it get resolved?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
how many clicks when you closed the gas cap? i usually do more than 5 clicks... i always used recommended octane 91

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After filling up with the most recent tank of gas, it clicked about 5 times.

When the SH-AWD error pops up, the monitor is showing that the car goes to FWD. Other than that, everything else drives fine, so I'm thinking it's a sensor issue or it's taking forever to get the bad gas out of the system.

Trying to see if anyone had this problem before and if I should have it rediagnosed at the dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2007 has similar issues. Here recently when I start the car the "check emissions" warning comes on. Then after I drive a little while the "check SH-AWD" warning comes on. It seems to illuminate when I put on my brakes. When I checked my diagnostic messages I have a P0410 message as well as messages pertaining to the trailer assist. I found a different thread in the MDX forums that suggested changing out the brake switch (switch near the brake pedal that indicates you have applied the brakes). I did this but it did not solve the problem.

I wish I could help you with your issue. Hopefully someone else can assist.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2007 MDX has just started acting similarly. I click the gas cap about 5 times and use 91 octane. The combined warning lights of 'check emissions' and 'check SH-AWD' come on for a couple of days and then go off. Its been alternating between warnings lights and no warning lights for the past month. I have no automated warning messages delivered through the Navigation system.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just had my check sh awd warning coming on this morning. I was working and it was pretty cold out and I went to start my car and I had the warning. I drove it for a bit and then pulled over and turned the car off, waited for about 10 secs and then restarted it. The warning disappeared and everything seems to be working normally. So really i'm still not sure what was wrong...the temp was about -20 celcius

·
Registered
14 Posts
Finally took my car to the stealership and had them check it out. They determined the EGR valve was bad and changed it out. They also pulled the manifold and cleaned the air ports leading to it. They were confident their work would fix both the Check Emissions and SHAWD warnings. So far they seem to have been correct. Here's hoping I can stay warning free for a while. I do get the Check Oil Level warning every now and then due to a faulty switch. The stealership wanted over $150 to do the work, so I will live with the intermittent warning until the weather warms up and I can change out the switch myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2007 60K MDX has the emission/ SH-AWD sensor on now for sometime. Have taken it in. NOT impressed with a$ 50,000 car that has same numerous complaints.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kellie'07...I, too, have a 2007 MDX (Technology Pkg) with 98,000 miles. For the past month I have experienced the check emission warning, followed by the SH-AWD & VSA warning lights...then the car loses power. I have to pull over, turn off the engine, wait a few moments, and start it up again, hoping the SH-SWD & VSA warnings are not triggered again (because the "check emission" warning stays on). It was brought to the dealership the 1st time it happend. They told me the throttle body needed replacing ($500 expense). A week later, after only driving it a few times, it happened again...I was afraid to drive it an hour to the dealership, so my husband trailered it with his truck. This time they told me it was a "yaw rate sensor"...they were able to replace this (relatively inexpensive part) for free with a 75% comp from Acura (and the remaining 25% comped by the dealership)...I picked it up two weeks ago...drove it an hour to get it home. The next morning, drove it about 5 miles, and the same damn thing happened. I was absolutely beside myself at this point. I was finally able to get it to the dealership on Friday (sat in my driveway for 2 weeks)...I wanted to wait until my husband could follow me, in case it broke down to a point, where I couldn't keep it going, because it is such an unreliable issue. Now, they are telling me it is an "alternator drawing power"...Ha!! I am not pleased with this "answer"...I cannot understand how all of these "problematic parts" can cause the same exact malfunction. I cannot understand how a faulty alternator doesn't cause any draw on my electric system, but causes these sensors to trigger these malfunctions...Up until now, I totally trusted the service department at this Acura dealership. I am less than satisfied now, and am quite certain after the problems that I have experienced, coupled with all of the problems I have read about with other Acura owners, that I will NEVER own another Acura...It simply does not live up to the price!!! I wish you the best of luck with your issues!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kellie'07...I, too, have a 2007 MDX (Technology Pkg) with 98,000 miles. For the past month I have experienced the check emission warning, followed by the SH-AWD & VSA warning lights...then the car loses power. I have to pull over, turn off the engine, wait a few moments, and start it up again, hoping the SH-SWD & VSA warnings are not triggered again (because the "check emission" warning stays on). It was brought to the dealership the 1st time it happend. They told me the throttle body needed replacing ($500 expense). A week later, after only driving it a few times, it happened again...I was afraid to drive it an hour to the dealership, so my husband trailered it with his truck. This time they told me it was a "yaw rate sensor"...they were able to replace this (relatively inexpensive part) for free with a 75% comp from Acura (and the remaining 25% comped by the dealership)...I picked it up two weeks ago...drove it an hour to get it home. The next morning, drove it about 5 miles, and the same damn thing happened. I was absolutely beside myself at this point. I was finally able to get it to the dealership on Friday (sat in my driveway for 2 weeks)...I wanted to wait until my husband could follow me, in case it broke down to a point, where I couldn't keep it going, because it is such an unreliable issue. Now, they are telling me it is an "alternator drawing power"...Ha!! I am not pleased with this "answer"...I cannot understand how all of these "problematic parts" can cause the same exact malfunction. I cannot understand how a faulty alternator doesn't cause any draw on my electric system, but causes these sensors to trigger these malfunctions...Up until now, I totally trusted the service department at this Acura dealership. I am less than satisfied now, and am quite certain after the problems that I have experienced, coupled with all of the problems I have read about with other Acura owners, that I will NEVER own another Acura...It simply does not live up to the price!!! I wish you the best of luck with your issues!!!
Any chance that this issue was properly resolved? I have had a very similar problem with my 2008 RDX. I have had a recurring problem with the Emissions and AWD lights coming on and the dealer insisting it was just a loose gas cap. Then, on the highway I suddenly lost power and had to be towed - needed new alternator. If you have any evidence that this issue wit lights and the alternator are connected, I would appreciate the info.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have something happening to my 07 mdx sport. Check emissions and Sh-awd. The shawd indicator shows the rear wheels not producing output. I turned car off and it helped but it's doing again. I'm asking it in. Acura of Lehigh Valley is great and they are price and fair will let all know what I find out

·
Registered
306 Posts
Apparenly when the O2 sensor goes it causes the awd to stop working, and basically your in fwd.

Im going to buy the sensor and attempy myself- dealership initially wanted $400 to replace, then said they can do it for $300. I just said forgetabout it and decided to just make some time and save a few bucks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too have this same problem. I get a P0134 code which is for the bank 1 sensor 1. That sensor is the front sensor before the catalytic converter. I replaced this sensor in July of this year with a Nippondenso 13954 sensor, which I was told is the best to use and is OE. I find out today that the OE is an NTK 24346 sensor. They are very easy to change, especially if you can turn a wrench. I am going to work on convincing the parts store to switch out the sensors.

What gets me is the part about the SH-AWD system problem. How does an oxygen sensor affect the AWD?? I do know one thing, when it's just FWD, there is lots of torque steer and she spins easily!:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi There, I just bought a used 2008 MDX has 160,000 kms and after 1 week of ownership I started to get the same error message, sometimes both show up and then the AWD disappears and then eventually the emission disappears and then BAM they show up again. I have never owned an Acura. This is my first and will be my last. I thought Nissan was bad. I think Acura just took 1st place. I will take it to a trusted non-Acura dealership for their advice and then see what Acura has to say. I have not lost power thank goodness. However, I agree emissions has nothing to do with AWD unless Acura decided to build it that way just to mess with people.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 05 Acura RL gave me a message today SH-AWD system check light came on what? How? Is there a code to reset Is it the gas cap or yet the gas grade itself.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi There, I just bought a used 2008 MDX has 160,000 kms and after 1 week of ownership I started to get the same error message, sometimes both show up and then the AWD disappears and then eventually the emission disappears and then BAM they show up again. I have never owned an Acura. This is my first and will be my last. I thought Nissan was bad. I think Acura just took 1st place. I will take it to a trusted non-Acura dealership for their advice and then see what Acura has to say. I have not lost power thank goodness. However, I agree emissions has nothing to do with AWD unless Acura decided to build it that way just to mess with people.
Ella, I feel you pain. I got the emission light and SH-AWD warning this morning on my 08 MDX. It seems like other people have fixed the issue by:

1. filling up with premium fuel & tightening the gas cap until you hear 5 clicks
2. cleaning/replacing the EGR Valve
3. replacing the Cat converter

I'm going to try the no.1 before going to a shop for no.2 or 3.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the same issues with my 08 RDX. Been to the Acura dealer 4 times, replaced a $500 air sensor, removed my $300 performance module, and then rebuilt the turbocharger ($2000) (Acura wanted to sell me a new turbo for $50000). None of that has eliminated the Emissions and AWD warnings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I get 'Eco-emissions problem' when I start my 2014 mdx. I went to local dealer and he said Costco 91 Oct gas is bad and this is causing this issue. Is that really true? He quoted about $350 ($190 for inspection and $160 to do fuel injection) to fix this problem.
Does this make sense?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I drive a 2011 MDX, it has about 85k miles on it. Late last week I received the following errors:

1.)Check VSA
2.)Check trailer stability assist
3.)Check emission system

My dad disconnected the battery, cleaned the terminals and reconnected and the errors went away. Well they came back on this morning. Any suggestions? The auto shop can't get me in until next week...

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts