Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the MDX (2011 with 158k miles) to dealership for transmission fluid issue. Tranny fluid was very low and they added fluid. Cost about $150 for diagnosis and fluid.
Also paid for pre-owned vehicle inspection report since I am going to sell the car, and wanted to know if anything needed to be addressed, and give the new buyer peace of mind that Acura inspected the vehicle as well.

I am still in the dealership parking lot and as soon as I started the car I hear a strange whining noise. I drive home about an hour away and still hear the whining noice at low RPMs and when the car is in Park. Car sits overnight.
The next day I go to the grocery store and still hear the whining. Almost home and then the following warning messages show up:
  • Check Charging System (and little red battery light)
  • Check SH-AWD System (and little yellow SH-AWD light)
  • Charging System P05625

Bought new battery 2 years ago...about $200+ dollars.

Called dealership and explained the above info.
They think the alternator is going out. About $800 for new OEM or about $650 for aftermarket alternator....before taxes.
Called local mechanic and $600 for remanufactured alternator.
Car will most likely not make it to dealership since it is an hour away.

Anyone else have any experience with the mentioned warning messages?
To be honest...I am getting tired of this car.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
SH-AWD will disable itself for many reasons in this case if the Alternator is failing it cannot deliver the power to properly make SH-AWD works so this is tied to the same Alternator issue.. Check Charging system as well is saying there is an issue with the Alternator.

Replace the alternator and it should fix all issues.

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
106 Posts
For $240, you can get a brand spanking new 250 amp alternator shipping included. They used to have a 300 amp alternator listed that I bought but I don't see it anymore but hey, 250 amps is way more than enough. With the money you save, you can get it installed plus get a yellow top Optima battery too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For $240, you can get a brand spanking new 250 amp alternator shipping included. They used to have a 300 amp alternator listed that I bought but I don't see it anymore but hey, 250 amps is way more than enough. With the money you save, you can get it installed plus get a yellow top Optima battery too.

I don't feel all that comfortable replacing the alternator myself, but yeah, that would save quite a bit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts