Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier today as I was driving the Check Charging System minder and red battery light came on. No weird noises or odd driving behaviors. Was close to an AutoZone so I pulled in and had a guy test the battery. With engine off battery was at 12.8 or something like that. When I went to turn engine on it dropped to 5.3 or so. He said “oh it’s the battery”. Which was a few years old, so I bought and replaced the battery. The same dash minder and battery light come on still. I was pulled over for a few minutes with cat running and out the car in neutral, lights went off. Put it in drive, lights came back on. Any idea or experience with this?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Take a look at the grounding battery cable. These often deteriorate/corrode but are hard to identify due to the sheathing. Look for green or other evidence of corrosion at the end of the sheath. There are identical replacements from Acura (about $45) & Honda (about $25) & even cheaper if bought online (about $15). I needed mine immediately so I just used generic parts from O’Reilly’s - less than $10. All those prices are circa 2018 when this happened to my ‘09.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input! I feel like the cables looked ok when the guy was helping install the new battery. I’m concerned it’s alternator or something else. It doesn’t start the same. Guess I’ll call dealer service in the morning and sign over my first born 😂😂😣

Take a look at the grounding battery cable. These often deteriorate/corrode but are hard to identify due to the sheathing. Look for green or other evidence of corrosion at the end of the sheath. There are identical replacements from Acura (about $45) & Honda (about $25) & even cheaper if bought online (about $15). I needed mine immediately so I just used generic parts from O’Reilly’s - less than $10. All those prices are circa 2018 when this happened to my ‘09.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Just a stab - for what it’s worth, my cable only had a faint green at the sheath but replacing it fixed my problem. That said, my alternator went out within a year (surprisingly easy to replace-though I needed a $40 tool to release the belt tension)

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I had a 06 TSX and have an 08 RDX and had the same issue. It was the alternator slowly dying and unable to put out enough volts to run the system and recharge the battery. The alternator would slowly steal power from the battery until the volts got too low to even run the vehicle.

The Acura's from that era all seem to have issues with the alternator, P/S pump leakes, P/S rack leaks, battery ground/corrosion, door actuators, radiator cooling fans, A/C clutch failures, hairline cracks in plastic parts of radiators, or ballast issues with HIDs (not all issue hit).

·
Registered
13 Posts
What is the grounding battery cable? How do I identify it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
What is the grounding battery cable? How do I identify it?
negative ground is black, runs from the negative battery terminal "-" to the fender, short one
starter cable runs down the side of the the battery from the red "+" battery terminal.

There are also sub ground and transmission ground cables.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts