Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my power steering fluid is a lot easier and less messy than the oil change if you know the steps. I did mine a few days ago at 87045 miles and the fluid is dark as hell. I used 5 bottles to flush 4 or 5 time until the fluid came out clear and filled about 2 more bottles for the final. You need 7 bottles to do a clean flush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I changed my power steering fluid is a lot easier and less messy than the oil change if you know the steps. I did mine a few days ago at 87045 miles and the fluid is dark as hell. I used 5 bottles to flush 4 or 5 time until the fluid came out clear and filled about 2 more bottles for the final. You need 7 bottles to do a clean flush

My steering doesn't hesitate anymore when I do a u-turn

·
Registered
268 Posts
I?ve been tied down with problems on both my cars but I definitely want to do this to my X! I?ve heard you can just take out the return hose and use a catch bottle, but that runs the pump dry. Should I really be worried if it?s dry for a couple minutes?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I?ve been tied down with problems on both my cars but I definitely want to do this to my X! I?ve heard you can just take out the return hose and use a catch bottle, but that runs the pump dry. Should I really be worried if it?s dry for a couple minutes?

When you see the fluid came out with a lot of bubbles from your return hose shut the engine off immediately. Do not run your engine longer than 20 seconds for each flush.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Proper procedure is to lift the front axle and run the steering wheel lock to lock 10 times. Until every drip of oil comes out, Each time you lock to lock it will spit a little more fluid since the wheels are off the ground you are not giving any stress to the P/S Pump without fluid. Once done you can fill the system and you will be running almost entirely new fluid. Wasting new fluid just to make the fluid 100% see through is not needed!!!..

I did it not too long ago, including the P/S O-Ring.
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-second-generation-mdx-2007-2013/154178-tuesday-project.html

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Proper procedure is to lift the front axle and run the steering wheel lock to lock 10 times. Until every drip of oil comes out, Each time you lock to lock it will spit a little more fluid since the wheels are off the ground you are not giving any stress to the P/S Pump without fluid. Once done you can fill the system and you will be running almost entirely new fluid. Wasting new fluid just to make the fluid 100% see through is not needed!!!..

I did it not too long ago, including the P/S O-Ring.

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-second-generation-mdx-2007-2013/154178-tuesday-project.html

Good advice! I just place a cardboard under the front wheels and turned the wheel lock to right and shut off the engine. Filled the reservoir and started the engine and quickly turned the wheel lock to the left and shut off the engine. Refill the reservoir and start the engine and turned the wheel lock to the right and shut off the engine. I repeated doing this until the fluid came out clean and clear. Simple

1 - 7 of 7 Posts