Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 Fram OCOD (orange can of death) on hand. I figure that they are only good for 3k miles each and the oil is good for 6k miles. So I need to change filter once while keeping the old oil. My question is how much oil will flow out of the filter housing w/o draining the oil first? I have never done this so want to get prepared. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
It will drip the same oil as always, The majority of the oil sits at the oil pan. Leaving it there wont make the filter drain more oil than usual.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Who said the Fram is limited to 3k? Run it for the entire 6k cycle. If you are that concerned don't use it at all. You are overthinking this one.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. First time heard about air lock. Could you explain what it is and how it can happen?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Pre-fill the filter with fresh oil when replacing it. Not too much or you may air lock the filter.
Whaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttt?
Joke aside, and seriously... what the hell?

·
Registered
43 Posts
You've never seen this? It's happened to me on cars and bikes. Cars have bypassed the filter, bikes wont build pressure.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Never, and I always top off the filter when installing.. Top off as in even wait till all the air has gone from the filter and its fully filled with oil to the threads.

Bikes don´t usually install the filter horizontally? (I am stuck with the Kawasaki design when the spin off filter was between the headers) perhaps that affects it?.

·
Registered
336 Posts
In my 24 years of driving and changing oil, I have NEVER filled the filter with oil before installing it …*and not one problem.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
It wont probably damage a thing, but its piece of mind knowing the engine doesn´t start dry.

·
Registered
43 Posts
In my 24 years of driving and changing oil, I have NEVER filled the filter with oil before installing it …*and not one problem.
I never did either until I was a diesel tech for a large trucking company. It was shop policy to pre-fill oil and fuel filters about 75% of the way full, letting the filter "soak" until the oil levels past the filter media. I have been following that policy ever since. In a few instances the oil has not flowed past the filter. Once on an ex-GF's Nissan Sentra with it's horizontal filter at the firewall side of the motor, and on numerous occasions on various Ducatis I've owned (vertical filter). In all cases I happened to overfill the filter with oil before initial start and after a full system drain.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
still do not know what an air lock is and how it could happen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts