Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 base model. Changed fluid yesterday at 26k miles myself. Did not know the first change was due at 15k.

Maybe just in my head but I noticed improvement in drive quality. Car seems to be shifting through speeds more smoothly. Could it be the diff change that caused it?

I used a pump to insert the new fluid. I over filled by a little. When I was screwing in the fill plug there was a drop every ten seconds or so. Is this OK?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
You're supposed to fill the fluid up to the fill hole. A drop every 10 seconds sounds like it's at the perfect level. I'd be worried if you had nothing come out, or if it was gushing out.

You really shouldn't see a REAL difference in drive-ability. But after we make a change we're often hyper-aware and may perceive differences that don't actually exist.

My wife often comments that her car "drives better" after I do an oil change. I smirk and leave it alone.

This is also why I will NEVER trust someone who claims a mod makes their vehicle faster without actual evidence to back it up. They may think their proverbial "butt dyno" is calibrated... But no.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
No. It cant cause a difference unless your previous fluid was super old and already causing an issue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. It cant cause a difference unless your previous fluid was super old and already causing an issue.
Interestingly when I was wiping the drain plug there was a lot of black dirt I rubbed off. It seemed to come from the end tip (the black part).

The fluid itself was darker then the new fluid but not that bad

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
That "black dirt" was fine metal shavings and clutch material.

The end of the drain plug is a magnet.

It's normal.

·
Registered
869 Posts
With the revised SH-AWD rear diff in 2016+ MDX ( and Pilot ), there is a "purge procedure" to burp air out of the hydraulic system after you refill the diff. You're supposed to replace the fill plug, run the engine in "Park" for a couple minutes, turn it off, then remove the fill plug and recheck the level. I have no idea how much difference this makes.

Reminds me of burping a baby. Seems like a waste of time until you forget and then... :16:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts