Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is definitely something wrong with my remote key. This is the 4th battery within 6 months.
Does somebody here have the same problem?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Are you storing your key near your vehicle? The key and vehicle "talk" to each other, so you will go through the battery faster if you leave the key too close to the car.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Where are you buying your batteries?

I learned to never buy lithium in bulk online. You never know what you are going to get.

I went through a battery a month or less.

Now I just buy a fresh name brand and have no issues.

·
Registered
713 Posts
funny - I had to replace the battery last night. Pulled one from the spare fob for the totaled 2014 that has been gone since October. That battery was new in May. It was dead too. On my list of things to get at the store - package of CR2032 ............... The RL battery lasted 4 or 5 years at a time.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I also had problems with generics. Switched to Energizer and no more problems.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Are you storing your key near your vehicle? The key and vehicle "talk" to each other, so you will go through the battery faster if you leave the key too close to the car.
I have this problem - entranceway where I hang my coat is too close to where I park my car. Not only will the battery in fob die quickly, the car will unlock/lock in repeated cycles all night in some circumstances. (Quite annoying when warm and windows open)

So I toss the key in a tin from some fancy tea when I get home.

A few other notes:
-this doesn't happen at some distances / angles - close to the car, it settles down. Too far, no problem. The worst seems to be if I'm 15-25 metres away - it will beep unlock and lock continuously sometimes.
-I once left the fob inside the car overnight; battery in keyfob died - being 'close' to the car isn't a guarantee they're not chattering away on some frequency.
-I'd left keyfob in car before that for shorter periods and it had always stayed unlocked. Beware: if the battery dies while in the car, the doors may lock (no more fob present!), and then you can be locked out.

[There's more to this story but I'll leave it at that - it was rather embarrassing and inconvenient]

Overall I have to replace the damn keyfob batteries more often than I'd have thought possible; every six months or thereabout.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I have this problem - entranceway where I hang my coat is too close to where I park my car. Not only will the battery in fob die quickly, the car will unlock/lock in repeated cycles all night in some circumstances. (Quite annoying when warm and windows open)

So I toss the key in a tin from some fancy tea when I get home.

A few other notes:
-this doesn't happen at some distances / angles - close to the car, it settles down. Too far, no problem. The worst seems to be if I'm 15-25 metres away - it will beep unlock and lock continuously sometimes.
-I once left the fob inside the car overnight; battery in keyfob died - being 'close' to the car isn't a guarantee they're not chattering away on some frequency.
-I'd left keyfob in car before that for shorter periods and it had always stayed unlocked. Beware: if the battery dies while in the car, the doors may lock (no more fob present!), and then you can be locked out.

[There's more to this story but I'll leave it at that - it was rather embarrassing and inconvenient]

Overall I have to replace the damn keyfob batteries more often than I'd have thought possible; every six months or thereabout.
This is confusing. Why haven’t you brought the car in? If you’re away from the car it shouldn’t be unlocking and locking. There is clearly something wrong. Since you have to replace the battery every 6 months. The remote is probably bad. The door shouldn’t lock unless you press the button. Unless you have the auto lock on. You need to have the remote replaced.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is confusing. Why haven’t you brought the car in? If you’re away from the car it shouldn’t be unlocking and locking. There is clearly something wrong. Since you have to replace the battery every 6 months. The remote is probably bad. The door shouldn’t lock unless you press the button. Unless you have the auto lock on. You need to have the remote replaced.
I have an aftermarket remote alarm/start system that was pre-installed when I bought the car, and it does auto-lock with notifications over cell network and some other features. I wouldn't have bothered with this myself but it does have some convenient features. Likely my unusual issues are related to that.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I have an aftermarket remote alarm/start system that was pre-installed when I bought the car, and it does auto-lock with notifications over cell network and some other features. I wouldn't have bothered with this myself but it does have some convenient features. Likely my unusual issues are related to that.
Ok,it probably would have made sense to mention this was after market in your original post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts