Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I saw a review of the new honda accord with the next iteration of the honda dual display system. Its quite impressive. Heck even Cooley from CNET who basically thought Acura had set the bar to a new low with the current gen system was singing its praises. Its fast and also comes with Android and Apple car software. Any chance we will see this offered in the current generation of the MDX?

Also will we ever get the 360 Camera available on the RLX or Canuk MDX ever?

I`d hate to have to wait on the 4th gen for this lol

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
They have plenty of bugs with their system as well. So don't think the grass is greener.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I`d hate to have to wait on the 4th gen for this
I'll go on record now saying that when the 4th generation arrives, people will still complain about this and that, some people will have some things break on it, some people will experience odd noises, and some people will find fault with the infotainment system, regardless of what it is. As the infotainment systems evolve to attempt to meet consumer expectations, the expectations are evolving as well and seem to always be a step ahead of the systems.

Mark my words.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
The answer is always: we don't know (sadly). We thought 2016 might bring carplay and android auto. Boy were we wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
looking at the reviews of the new civic, the main advantage of the new headunits is that if you don't like honda's you have the option of carplay.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I don't think Honda and Acura realize they are part of the same company sometimes. It feels like Honda treats Acura like a pet project that doesn't add a lot of value to the Honda brand. I would think Honda would at a minimum add the same level of info-tainment to the MMC Acura brands. Acura seems to lean more towards sporty styling, slight performance enhancement (sh-awd, P-AWS, sport hybrid sh-awd, HP bump), and affordable safety features. Acura still has the sport hybrid, 7DCT, surround view camera, improved head-up display, and Krell audio system on the RLX wasting away on a flagship model.

The ILX and RDX are done tech/styling wise until an all new model hits the road in 3-4 years. I don't know how soon the MMC RLX is going to be available. That might be an indication of of the MDX MMC styling and tech upgrades.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
grass maybe browner on the other side, but as long as the system can offer a working connection to my phone Ill bite. I dont really fancy the current H/A setup

the 360 camera is rapidly being offered by competitors even the RLX but not MDX which would be a nice touch

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'll go on record now saying that when the 4th generation arrives, people will still complain about this and that, some people will have some things break on it, some people will experience odd noises, and some people will find fault with the infotainment system, regardless of what it is. As the infotainment systems evolve to attempt to meet consumer expectations, the expectations are evolving as well and seem to always be a step ahead of the systems.

Mark my words.
Hey I liked the navi from 2004 (MY) TL >>> 2013 (MY) MDX.

Every generation took a step forward.

It's only with the dual-screen (2014+) that I have a beef.

I never complained pre-2014. Perfect? No. Forward progress? Yes.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Hey I liked the navi from 2004 (MY) TL >>> 2013 (MY) MDX.

Every generation took a step forward.

It's only with the dual-screen (2014+) that I have a beef.

I never complained pre-2014. Perfect? No. Forward progress? Yes.
While you might not like the dual screen, I have no problem with it. I view it as a step forward compared to the ever-increasing number of discrete physical switches as features increase on infotainment systems. Apparently I'm not the only one - the 2nd gen MDX was routinely called out in a negative way for the sea of switches in the stack. In practice it's rare that I ever even need to do anything with the touchscreen.

Features were added between the 2004 and the 2013 and more features were added between the 2013 and the 2014. Not everyone will care about all the features and something like the nanny function that disables certain usage while driving is likely viewed negatively by almost every actual user but that's something more related to liability concerns by the manufacturer and seems to be creeping into many vehicles.

My point is that the next iteration of this will almost certainly have even more features in it, perhaps even features that are lacking now that people are complaining about, yet I can guarantee there'll be some people who'll complain about whatever it ends up being because when they compare it to either product offerings in certain other vehicles, a particular function from the past they liked (hey - where's my cassette player!), or even what's on the bubble to come next but wasn't here in time (Carplay/Android Auto), or just because the UI is different (ex: switches on the 2013 vs touchscreen on the 2014), they'll almost certainly voice their complaints on a forum like this.

That said, the current implementation in the MDX has plenty of room for improvement - as I've posted in the past. Regardless, while there's room for improvement, it's just not that big of a deal to me - I spend the vast majority of my time in the vehicle enjoying the handling, acceleration, comfort, streaming sounds, and spend almost no time relatively speaking operating the UI.

·
Registered
357 Posts
To me 360 Camera is just another toy that would not change my decision to buy a certain vehicle. Safety features are far more important to me and my family.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While you might not like the dual screen, I have no problem with it. I view it as a step forward compared to the ever-increasing number of discrete physical switches as features increase on infotainment systems. Apparently I'm not the only one - the 2nd gen MDX was routinely called out in a negative way for the sea of switches in the stack. In practice it's rare that I ever even need to do anything with the touchscreen.

Features were added between the 2004 and the 2013 and more features were added between the 2013 and the 2014. Not everyone will care about all the features and something like the nanny function that disables certain usage while driving is likely viewed negatively by almost every actual user but that's something more related to liability concerns by the manufacturer and seems to be creeping into many vehicles.

My point is that the next iteration of this will almost certainly have even more features in it, perhaps even features that are lacking now that people are complaining about, yet I can guarantee there'll be some people who'll complain about whatever it ends up being because when they compare it to either product offerings in certain other vehicles, a particular function from the past they liked (hey - where's my cassette player!), or even what's on the bubble to come next but wasn't here in time (Carplay/Android Auto), or just because the UI is different (ex: switches on the 2013 vs touchscreen on the 2014), they'll almost certainly voice their complaints on a forum like this.

That said, the current implementation in the MDX has plenty of room for improvement - as I've posted in the past. Regardless, while there's room for improvement, it's just not that big of a deal to me - I spend the vast majority of my time in the vehicle enjoying the handling, acceleration, comfort, streaming sounds, and spend almost no time relatively speaking operating the UI.
Ignorance is bliss I assume. For me everything you basically use is the through the central system so UI is important

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Ignorance is bliss I assume. For me everything you basically use is the through the central system so UI is important
There's no ignorance here on my part and you may have missed the point. For me at least, 99% of my time driving is spent 'not' using the UI - it's spent driving. If someone spends a lot more time than that with the UI then there's a problem.

And not 'everything used is through the central system'. Like I said, the majority of my usage of the vehicle involves the steering wheel, gas pedal, and brakes. I suspect the same is true for most people. Beyond that, I use the excellent steering wheel controls much more than the touchscreen since via those convenient controls I can answer the phone, indicate to have a text read to me, switch audio inputs and stations and volume on the sound system, and operate the cruise control. This is why relatively speaking I don't use the touchscreen that much. I doubt you do either.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's no ignorance here on my part and you may have missed the point. For me at least, 99% of my time driving is spent 'not' using the UI - it's spent driving. If someone spends a lot more time than that with the UI then there's a problem.

And not 'everything used is through the central system'. Like I said, the majority of my usage of the vehicle involves the steering wheel, gas pedal, and brakes. I suspect the same is true for most people. Beyond that, I use the excellent steering wheel controls much more than the touchscreen since via those convenient controls I can answer the phone, indicate to have a text read to me, switch audio inputs and stations and volume on the sound system, and operate the cruise control. This is why relatively speaking I don't use the touchscreen that much. I doubt you do either.
Cool. Different Strokes for different folks.

My thing after reading your paragraph, which the following is not a direct critique of what works for you, is that if you want to an MDX you have to pay to compromise.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
if you want to an MDX you have to pay to compromise
While I'd rather not compromise on anything, it seems that when it comes to vehicles we're always compromising somehow.
- Get the nicer interior - pay more money.
- Get the vehicle with higher performance - pay more money and get worse mileage and have a vehicle without as much room.
- Get the vehicle that has a lot more features/functions - get a touchscreen of some sort to provide the UI since there would be no place to put discrete switches for it all versus some years ago.
- Get a vehicle with a lot of room - and end up with a large unwieldy vehicle with worse mileage.
- Get a vehicle that's smaller, easier to park, more nimble - and end up with no usable 3rd row seat, not as much room to haul stuff.
- And the compromises continue down the line.

Since there almost always 'are' compromises, we then have to decide what's most important to us and use that preference to weight the features and make the buying decision. The point I was trying to make is that for me, maybe not for some others, I biased my purchase decision with a bias towards the proportions of the vehicle (not too big, not too small, has a 3rd row seat), handling, acceleration, mileage, and less so toward some of the infotainment functions - especially ones rarely used in practice like the touchscreen.

That said, I agree there's room for improvement in the infotainment and it wouldn't even be that difficult to improve since most of the issues are software and are almost certainly provided by an outside supplier as a package and there are plenty of examples of better implementations of some of the functions. The vendor could improve the functions (which they already did to some extent but Acura won't provide it to 2014 owners) or Acura could switch to another vendor.

I hope also that they'll improve the infotainment going forward in case I decide to buy another MDX in the future.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
From all indications, they changed vendors on the recent Hondas, so I'm pretty sure the next MDX update will also have a different vendor. If it's anything like what they did to the 2016 Accord, the other vendor head unit will blend into the current look, but it will be substantially different in that we current owners will not receive any updates/changes in features.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
but it will be substantially different in that we current owners will not receive any updates/changes in features
There's no loss there since even if the system is the same Acura seems uninterested in offering feature updates for existing owners - i.e. the feature update that was done for 2015 was 'not' offered to 2014 owners even though the system is the same (although there could be minor internal differences that are likely inconsequential) and even was at the same starting software version.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I may upgrade my 2014 Accord to a 16, with the Honda Sense safety package. Apple Car Play to boot. A bargin!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts