Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
New member here and hoping to be part of community in coming months. I am absolute novice in buying used cars.

I am in the market for MDX and trying to determine what is the advantage of a certified MDX with more mileage vs an MDX with low mileage. I am going through internet to learn about certified cars but since I have never purchased a used and/or certified car in the past I am trying to make the right decision on it.

What would the members suggest me to look for when buying a used car. I am looking at 2016 certified with tech package in 34xxx miles $37K (there are multiple cars in this mileage range. ) and used 2014 MDX with tech package in 18K-22K miles $34K. All of them AWD

Does this used MDX come with transferable warranty ? or is it like once i am out of the dealership and the engine fails for whatever reason and I am all by myself. Can you buy warranty on it?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You can buy an AcuraCare extended warranty anytime during the original warranty period. I did this with a 2005 I bought with 20k miles, and subsequently bought an AcuraCare extended warranty at 49k miles. With an AcuraCare warranty, it is transferable in a private sale, but not through a dealer. However, when I traded the 05 on my current 11, I received a refund of $250 on the unused warranty term.

Many here will say the MDX is so dependable that you are wasting your money with a warranty. I bought an extended warranty on my 11 for protection with electronics and things like the adaptive cruise control. However, I have used it for side mirror actuators, and last week, two shocks.

If you look at Acura CPO vehicles, ask for the inspection report.

Also, look at service records and Carfax. Service records from many vendors are now reported on Carfax.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm surprised that the 3 year old car has 18 - 22K miles.

One of the requirements of a certified car is the car has to be under 50,000 and under 4 years old.

A 1 year old car with 34,xxx miles and a 3 year car with 18,000 - 22,000 miles should both qualify as certified cars.

The 2016 mentioned is worth $35,965 with 34,500 miles. Offer them $35,000 and make them meet you half way, at $36,000
The 2014 is worth $33,400 with 22,000 miles. Offer them $32,800 and get them to meet you in the middle, at $33,400.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for replying.

Yeah I have looked at carfax and the car looks to be clean but again carfax is only good for service records. Some of the accidents can skip past it. I am still debating what should I do as I like the 2014 is a low mileage car and I can get extended warranty on it. Will go out to some dealer tomorrow to see what they have to say and test drive it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts