Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed a vibration or rattle in their center speaker or nav console cover when the voice-recognition responses are played? If I touch the front edge of the cover (closest to the windshield) the vibration goes away - I'm thinking about trying to eliminate the vibration with a small dab of silicone or something. Please help!!

Sorry if this has already been covered - I searched and didn't find anything.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
That cover snaps on and off. Pull towards you and up while wiggling it. It seems like it will never pop off, and then it does. I used the official trim removal tools to lift it off.
This is to say, however, that you shouldn't use glue to silence it. May I suggest a rap with the heel of you hand, to try and seat the cover on the dash?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip, I'll take it off and make sure the cover is actually the piece vibrating and see what happens from there. I did give it a couple of 'love taps" the other day. Did you have to do the same thing to yours?

·
Registered
9 Posts
You don't mention the year of your MDX, but I did see a TSB on this that might apply to you:

07-037

April 10, 2008
Applies To:
2007 MDX With Navigation - From VIN 2HNYD2...7H500001 thru 2HNYD2...7H516118
2007 MDX Without Navigation - ALL
2008 MDX Without Navigation - From VIN 2HNYD2...8H500001 thru 2HNYD2...8H514947

Buzzing From Front Center Speaker

(Supersedes 07-037, dated July 31, 2007, to update the information marked by the black bars and asterisks.)

SYMPTOM

The front center speaker buzzes when the audio is at medium to high volume.

PROBABLE CAUSE

The speaker grille vibrates against the center upper panel.

CORRECTIVE ACTION

Replace the center upper panel.

[...]

DIAGNOSIS

Play the diagnostic CD to recreate the noise complaint. When you hear the buzz, apply pressure to the speaker grille with your hand.
^ If the noise goes away, go to REPAIR PROCEDURE.

^ If the noise does not go away, disregard this service bulletin and continue with your normal diagnosis.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's an 09 Sport/Ent, just picked up this last Saturday. Anyone with an 09 with the same issue? Haven't been able to get the cover off yet. May just call the dealer and ask them to send me a new cover.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok all, here's the scoop. I did get the center upper panel removed and did a little trouble-shooting this evening.

1. With the panel away from the dash, I replicated the conditions where the vibration would have been present - it was, so the panel wasn't vibrating on the dash

2. I removed the speaker from the panel, plugged it in, and tested again - the vibration was not present, so the speaker was obviously fine.

3. I placed a small rubber washer between the speaker and the panel (on each mounting screw), plugged in the speaker and tested again - the vibration was there, so it wasn't that the speaker was vibrating on the panel, I figured it had to be the panel itself that was rattling.

4. The speaker grill is actually a separate piece that is bonded to the main panel, and there is no positive connection at the front of the panel (closest to the windshield), so I used one of the rubber washers to islolate the two pieces of plastic (grill & panel) at the seam, tested again, and the vibration went away.

So I gave the seam a thin layer of clear RTV silicone such that the panels would have some vibration dampening between them, let it dry for a few hours, and reassembled everything. The vibration is gone and I don't have to drive 200 miles to the nearest Acura dealer...

Thanks to 99gixer & shootist for the info.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nice info, Wilk...glad you got it resolved.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
wilk13 said:
Ok all, here's the scoop. I did get the center upper panel removed and did a little trouble-shooting this evening.
Got any pix of your work to help visualize?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a couple but I'm not sure if they are any good - I'll try to post them tonight.

I couldn't get a good close-up of the seam, but if you look at the panel through your windshield, it's the seam that is closest to the dash (and the windshied too). Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, here's the pics - they should explain if there was any confusion.

Also note that I over-separated the two peices (at the seam) while pushing the RTV into the seam so that once the washer was removed, RTV would "squish" out assuring that it would have the desired dampening affect.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Same issue, based on this thread I tried something I was less likely to make look bad and stuck some cotton wadding into the seam on either side of the grill. It's easily undone and I can always revert to the adhesive/sealant solution.

I used cotton from an unused cig. filter (100% cotton roll-your-own type) and it seems to be working. Road trip test tomorrow, lots of nav. and AM stereo, which was the worst for me. I'll update upon return.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue on a 2013 model without Nav. Seems to be blown in my case applying pressure to the speaker grill does nothing to stop the distortion and it is at very low volume too like 5 to 6. Can I replace the speaker by just pulling up the speaker grill or do I need to pull the whole clock assy up and out?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts