Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 and like so many, the original vinyl on the center console armrest has loosened and is wrinkled, so I am replacing with leather. I finally figured out how the get the top lids off, but I can't figure out how to get the pad apart from the plastic. I see no screws and haven't been able to pop it off with screwdriver. (See attachments) Any one know the secret to this? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
From what I have seen (youtube videos) it looks like you have to carefully pry the top part from the bottom part, then after you replace the leather on the top part either glue the two parts together or I saw someone actually drill holes and put screws in from the bottom. Not a straight forward job so you have to be a bit creative but definitely DIY.
I am planning on doing the same in my 2010 but have not found a leather piece that matches the taupe color to buy. Where did you get yours?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the material from an ebay seller. You can find several stores on ebay selling the material only. It is definitely real leather. I have tried to gently pry it the pad off with no success. I didn't apply too much pressure because I didn't want to break or damage the plastic. I think there must be a correct way to do this. Hopefully someone who has done this can give us the method.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I found one of the videos in the meantime... right around the 1:05 minute mark you can see what it looks like when separated. I can't post links yet but if you go to youtube and search for "0eBx51lYX8" you'll find the video.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, Thanks GumballWaterson. I used the scraper blade and screwdriver and was able to wedge in and break the glue. Now in need to take off the old vinyl and attach the leather.
Please keep us updated. I've been sitting on a set of replacement leather for my console and have been hesitant to start tearing things apart.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2010 and like so many, the original vinyl on the center console armrest has loosened and is wrinkled, so I am replacing with leather. I finally figured out how the get the top lids off, but I can't figure out how to get the pad apart from the plastic. I see no screws and haven't been able to pop it off with screwdriver. (See attachments) Any one know the secret to this? Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How did u get the lids off? Did u figure out the whole thing .. i bought leather from Amazon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts