Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Final answer to "center console storage area heating up" from acura

we noticed that during normal driving conditions, the bottom part of the center console in our MDX heated up quite a bit... the side walls around the CD-holder chamber (the big deep storage area underneath the center arm rest) got very warm, if not hot in some cases, and this has been really annoying....

anybody having the similar problem? or is this just normal?

thanks...

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Depending on temperature-rear seats

I believe there is a heater core and a cooling condenser in the console, so the rear seat people can have independant controls in back. You can have cold up front and they can have warm in back. Check to see the dashboard control for rear seats is off when no-one is back there, and check fan speed and temperature setting in back. I set fan to lowest setting and temp in the middle when not using. I bet you have the rear temp hot and fan on high which is activating the heater core which in turn warms the console.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Depending on temperature-rear seats

paul123 said:
Check to see the dashboard control for rear seats is off when no-one is back there, and check fan speed and temperature setting in back. I set fan to lowest setting and temp in the middle when not using.
i actually did set the fan to lowest/off and temperature in the middle for the rear A/C controller... i also turned the rear a/c manual on (the indicator came on after i pushed the button), this way no air (cold or warm) was coming out of the rear a/c vent... should i do this or not, maybe i should leave the rear a/c manual off???

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
yes it should be off

as long as nobody is in rear seat, I would set it to off or not lite up. It should only br on when using te controls in rear. by leaving on you are using the separate thermostate in rear which is probably heating up the second heater core for rear.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Mine does not heat up ....

... there is another new thred regarding excess condensation there?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeap.... the thread about the condensation seems related to my question....

here's what i'm going to do:

- i'm gonna to turn OFF the 'rear a/c manual control', as suggested by Paul, and see if the heating goes away at the center console...

- since i'm going to pick up my license plate this weekend, i'm gonna ask the dealer's service dept to take a look at the problem, if it persists...

i'm keep you guys updated...

thanks for the response...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paul's right... when i set the 'rear a/c manual control' off (not light up), the center console area did not heat up... i guess when it is set on, the a/c unit underneath the center console storage area starts working, generating heat that will not disperse easily...

i haven't been to the dealer yet, but i think WE had the problem solved... if anyone would like to test the theory, please turn the 'rear a/c manual control' on (light up) and feel the center console area (bottom part) after 10 minutes, please post your testing result here... thanks a lot...

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Your Welcome

Anytime!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update from the dealership service dept.

well, i just called my service advisor, after describing the problem, he told me it's acturally not because of the condensor for the rear a/c, it's because the transmission gear is located in the same area beneath the center console area, so it's quite normal for the area to warm up a little bit....:confused:

the symptom is that when the rear a/c vents are not pumping out cold air, the bottom part of the center console warms up (including the CD storage area)... anybody experiencing the same problem?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
final answer from acura engineering dept

ok, here's what is going on underneath the center console:

- the service dept at another dealership took it apart and found out that there's a thick tubing running around the mid portion of the center console that became warm.... aparently, that tubing is circulating hot water for the rear a/c unit constantly.... they assumed that there should be a shut-off valve that could turn the hot water off when a/c is not in use.... so they acturally called the acura engineering dept and found out that there's NO such valves in any of the mdx....

- so it IS normal (or as acura would like to say: a characteristics of the vehicle)....

- the dealer also ran parallell comparison testings on several mdxs and found out that everyone of them warmed up the same way when a/c was turn off (after 10-15 minutes)

- acura engineering dept said the rear vent should be on constantly to cool off the tubing inside the console.....

the bottom line: maybe i've been over sensitive, but it's worth the effort to find out what's going on there....:2:

thanks everyone for your help and attention....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts