Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone aware of good prices for the center console armrest? I only need the passenger side. The best price I have seen is around $260 - $270? They are not repairable, as I know it. I have even looked for a used one in good condition.

Thanks...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried a few junk yards.....no luck. Found one but in worse shape than what I have. Has anyone replaced the leather covering on the armrest or the entire armrest? I have seen some of the leather covers on flea-bay. (see pic) I know I am not the only one that has a worn center console. Seems like this is a common wear part.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
mine isn't that worn but the leather glue has loosened. I plan on buying just the leather/vinyl cover from ebay and having upholster redo it. they are youtube videos on how to remove the leather.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think I paid around 160 for mine last year..left side, now I need the right side...

Acuraoemoarts.com. I believe...

There are 3 colors, tan, grey and black...

Install is simple.

Just looked, they may have gone up. Or maybe i misremembered price... :(

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I paid around 160 for mine last year..left side, now I need the right side...

Acuraoemoarts.com. I believe...

There are 3 colors, tan, grey and black...

Install is simple.

Just looked, they may have gone up. Or maybe i misremembered price... :(

I purchased the left side a couple years back....and yes, the price was about what you mentioned. But now they are $272.17. They increased in price. I think I will find the covers and do the install myself. There's something about Acura and their prices. It's like an over priced club....they get off on their high azz prices for parts.

On fleabay, they come in 3 colors.....Black, beige, and gray. I can not find Taupe color anywhere.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I purchased the left side a couple years back....and yes, the price was about what you mentioned. But now they are $272.17. They increased in price. I think I will find the covers and do the install myself. There's something about Acura and their prices. It's like an over priced club....they get off on their high azz prices for parts.

On fleabay, they come in 3 colors.....Black, beige, and gray. I can not find Taupe color anywhere.

My 2011 is the grey...sort of taupe like...not tan or black...

·
Registered
749 Posts
I followed this video and spent $20, on ebay. I used some transmission gasket maker, to glue the wood down, because it stays flexible.
The OEM covers are not leather. They are vinal, as you'll see, when you peel them off.
I went to a leather craft shop and got some "permanent" transparent double sided tape, about 3/16" wide ($6), to keep the new covers in place.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to a leather craft shop and got some "permanent" transparent double sided tape, about 3/16" wide ($6), to keep the new covers in place.

Did you use the DS tape to hold the cover in place permanent to the console? I would think heavy industrial spray adhesive would work, since the cover seems glued to the console it self.

Not doubting you...just trying to figure all this out. Did you place DS tape to hold the entire replacement cover? Or just the edges?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Did you use the DS tape to hold the cover in place permanent to the console? I would think heavy industrial spray adhesive would work, since the cover seems glued to the console it self.

Not doubting you...just trying to figure all this out. Did you place DS tape to hold the entire replacement cover? Or just the edges?
I used the DS tape on the edges only. It was almost as thin as a hair, unlike commercial 3M tape at 1/64" thick.
Before I bought the DS tape, I tried to reassemble the 2 halves, but the leatherette cover became misaligned.
The screws that I used are positioned like you see in the video.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used the DS tape on the edges only.

Are you saying that the surface of the covers are not glued or DS taped?

Are the edges are the only part that is DS taped?

If that is the case.....only the DS taped edges are holding the covers in place.

Did you staple the edges? If so, what kind of stapler?

Thanks...

·
Registered
749 Posts
Are you saying that the surface of the covers are not glued or DS taped?

Are the edges are the only part that is DS taped?

If that is the case.....only the DS taped edges are holding the covers in place.

Did you staple the edges? If so, what kind of stapler?

Thanks...
The edges are sandwiched together, between the 2 pieces of plastic that had to be separated, with pressure from the screws.
When you peel the old leatherette off, you'll see that glue had been lightly used.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well got my two covers today. The color match was better than I thought it would be. Nice match. After reading, receiving the help here, and viewing videos, I think I am ready to start the install. Still got to pick up DS tape and glue. Couldn't find at HD. Will try to locate at a couple upholstery shops. Also nervous about separating the console door to install cover. But video says, it can be done.

Time to be brave.....Thanks for all the help here.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts