Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone recovered their center armrest? The padding is shot in mine and I'd like to dismantle it, add new foam and recover, possibly with new leather or reuse the old. Before I tackle this, I'm curious if anyone has tried this, any tips or pictures?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I've seen a thread recently where someone did just that - IIRC, they just removed the leather, cut a new piece of high-density foam, and reattached the leather.

FWIW, your question prompted me to look for a padded cover that I can use on road trips. I find that the center arm rest is a little too low, and a little to hard for comfort (I do LOOOOOONG road trips). I figured someone out there has to make something, and sure enough...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/187626872/acura-mdx-2000-2006-center-console?ref=related-0

I just ordered one, and will post a "review" here when I get it. I doubt I'll want to leave it in place most of the time (in case it's kind of ugly), but it might be just the ticket for my road tripping.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I prefer a stock look but you could cut out a piece of memory foam, sew up a "sock" with elastic along the edge and cover the foam onto the armrest....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've seen the replacement covers on eBay. Mine is pretty messed up but I've seen good to decent second hand ones going for the same or even a little less at a wrecker. I'm not sure it's worth the effort to recover mine when I can accomplish almost the same thing with a screwdriver and 5 minutes.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've seen the replacement covers on eBay. Mine is pretty messed up but I've seen good to decent second hand ones going for the same or even a little less at a wrecker. I'm not sure it's worth the effort to recover mine when I can accomplish almost the same thing with a screwdriver and 5 minutes.
Wow my local 'do it yourself' junkyards don't / wont carry MDXs. Probably because the parts are worth too much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check ebay for second hand parts or else car-part(dot)com. I bet you there's an MDX in a yard not far from you. I have my choice of about 10 within an hour's drive.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Check ebay for second hand parts or else car-part(dot)com. I bet you there's an MDX in a yard not far from you. I have my choice of about 10 within an hour's drive.
Oh I know about that site, just the poster made it sound like you can go to a 'pickapart' and none of those near me (I have 3) will ever carry a high end car like the MDX. Those junk yards will sell you the part , for a nice premium.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I replaced the foam in mine. I got some spray adhesive, anti fatigue mats from harbor frieght and a sander. Also a air powered staple gun helps a lot!

I took off the leather and scrapped the old foam off and glued pieces of the new foam in place. I used picture online to get the basic shape. Then I sanded it to match the leather. Then I re stapled the cover on and bam good as new!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts