Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in the Seattle area. We've noticed recently that frequently my wife's Sprint PCS phone cannot call my Verizon Wireless phone. She gets "unable to complete your call" with no indication of which carrier the message comes from. The phone numbers are all in the same area code.

When this occurs, she can use her phone to call other numbers (e.g. her voice mail at the office). I can call her without any problem. If she tries to call me from a land-line, she can get through to me.

Which carrier is at fault here? This is really annoying and if it keeps up, we'd rather drop the carrier at fault.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Funny you mention this...I was calling a colleague yesterday, via my Verizon phone in SF to his SprintPCS in Seattle, and it took about 10 tries to get through.

Unfortunately, since our outbound/inbound phones are exactly the same carriers as yours, it probably won't answer the question. However, I was convinced the problem was at his end. If my carrier lacks capacity (rarely) or if it can't connect (also rarely) I will usually get a fast-busy or a recording within 1 second of dialing (and no ring tone). Yesterday, however, I would get a noticable delay along with multiple "distant sounding" ring tones -- yet no answer -- not even to voicemail.

On a couple of occassions I did receive an "all circuits are busy" recording that didn't specify whos circuits were busy. However, given the delay, ring-tone(s), and sound quality (distant) I presumed it was Sprint @ his end.

He mentioned that my callerID was appearing on his phone, multiple times, even tho the connection never went through. My phone was working fine for other calls to other areas (landline and cell).

:confused:

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suspect -- but am not sure -- that it is Sprint's problem. What makes it hard to figure is that when the Sprint phone couldn't call the Verizon phone, the Sprint phone could call other phone numbers. And the Verizon phone wasn't have trouble getting calls from other phones, and can dial the Sprint phone without any issue.

If it's Sprint's fault, perhaps it's that when Sprint plugs back into phone networks to make a call, it doesn't have enough capacity to get onto whatever network leads to Verizon? Their access may be through a different route, especially since they seem to have their own network (Verizon around here is built on the old GTE network).

If it's Verizon's fault, perhaps it's that Verizon doesn't have enough capacity on the network that leads to Sprint? But it's not like the problem is two way.

I wonder when calls are made, do they originate from a different network point?

Sigh ... I really don't want to switch. We bought the phones last year and have invested in accessories (like extra batteries). And of course Sprint phones don't readily work on other carriers, and, to a good degree, vice versa. I hope this is just a temporary and occasional problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts