Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new here... am a proud owner of a 2003 MDX right hand drive model all the way from Malaysia. As the car is getting high in mileage, around 350K now, have been experiencing more and more complicated problems lately. There is probably less than 5 MDX 1st generation in the whole country here, pretty much no workshop or technician to has the experience to troubleshoot the model....hence humbly seeking for advice here.

The car has had the CEL light coming on intermittently in the past few months. No noticable difference in the car performance though while driving back then.

Starting last month however, the VSA and VTM light followed suit together with the CEL. The car would lose power, the engine became heavy and the rpm became higher than normal when driving. The VSA and VTM light will go off (but not the CEL) once I switched off the ignition and started the car again, but will come back on again after driving for like 45 minutes.

Reading the forum here, I had hoped that the problem was due to the EGR and/or exhaust port. Had the EGR cleaned, seemed to be in good working condition, so had it reinstalled back. Had the exhaust port cleaned as well.

After doing all that, all the warning lights did not appear anymore, but after 1 day, the CEL and VTM (not the VSA though) came on immediately upon starting the car. Now they are on permanently immediately upon ignition, and no matter how many times I turn on or off the ignition : (. Weirdly, this time the engine was not as heavy as experienced before whenever the VTM was on, but there is loss of power experienced still, rpm seems to be fine though.

Pulled the codes as the lights is worrying me and had the following fault/error codes (see attached)

If anyone can suggest my next course of action to fix the problem, it will be much appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi, I am new here... am a proud owner of a 2003 MDX right hand drive model all the way from Malaysia. As the car is getting high in mileage, around 350K now, have been experiencing more and more complicated problems lately. There is probably less than 5 MDX 1st generation in the whole country here, pretty much no workshop or technician to has the experience to troubleshoot the model....hence humbly seeking for advice here.

The car has had the CEL light coming on intermittently in the past few months. No noticable difference in the car performance though while driving back then.

Starting last month however, the VSA and VTM light followed suit together with the CEL. The car would lose power, the engine became heavy and the rpm became higher than normal when driving. The VSA and VTM light will go off (but not the CEL) once I switched off the ignition and started the car again, but will come back on again after driving for like 45 minutes.

Reading the forum here, I had hoped that the problem was due to the EGR and/or exhaust port. Had the EGR cleaned, seemed to be in good working condition, so had it reinstalled back. Had the exhaust port cleaned as well.

After doing all that, all the warning lights did not appear anymore, but after 1 day, the CEL and VTM (not the VSA though) came on immediately upon starting the car. Now they are on permanently immediately upon ignition, and no matter how many times I turn on or off the ignition : (. Weirdly, this time the engine was not as heavy as experienced before whenever the VTM was on, but there is loss of power experienced still, rpm seems to be fine though.

Pulled the codes as the lights is worrying me and had the following fault/error codes (see attached)

If anyone can suggest my next course of action to fix the problem, it will be much appreciated
Forgot to mention, had ran the diagnostics and cleared all the fault codes after cleaning the EGR valve and exhaust port, they appeared again after 1 day of driving as mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Geeze. I'm not familiar with those error code numbers, but the names I recognize

You've got multiple transmission failures, the catalytic converters aren't working, the variable valve timing system had a failure, and the accelerator pedal sensors aren't agreeing.

There are so many seemingly unrelated to errors I almost think the ECU is bad. But that's an expensive thing to replace without knowing.

Are you current with all your preventative maintenance? Full engine and transmission oils? For sure you didn't get any contaminated gas?

I'd start with troubleshooting the accelerator pedal sensor to see if it is truly broken. If it isn't broken that strongly indicates a wiring short somewhere or a bad ECU.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts