Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I have a 2004 MDX with 191K miles on it. Recently, the CEL came on. I went to AutoZone and got the following codes:
P1454 - Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0420 - Rear Bank Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P2138 - APP Sensor A/B or 1/2 (Throttle Position (TP) Sensor D/E) Incorrect Voltage Correlation

AutoZone suggested that I replace the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor. Has anyone else had these error codes and know what the issue likely is? Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all! I have a 2004 MDX with 191K miles on it. Recently, the CEL came on. I went to AutoZone and got the following codes:
P1454 - Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0420 - Rear Bank Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P2138 - APP Sensor A/B or 1/2 (Throttle Position (TP) Sensor D/E) Incorrect Voltage Correlation

AutoZone suggested that I replace the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor. Has anyone else had these error codes and know what the issue likely is? Any help would be much appreciated.
my 2004 MDX had the same 2 codes just now, P1454 and P2138, no good, my vehicle stalled. several years ago, it was P2138 and I changed the APP sensor myself and fixed the issue. I started my engine again...for some reason the codes went away. not sure if they will come back or not.

·
Registered
869 Posts
If CEL is on, does 1st gen MDX go into a cripple mode and disable the VTM-4 AWD? Or is it only if CEL and VTM-4 lights are both on?

·
Registered
591 Posts
FWIW, when I had the P0420 by itself, I took it in 3 steps. Put at least a 1/2 tank of better quality fuel (I used Shell 91) and Techron additive. Erased the code by disconnecting negative battery cable and resetting the PCM*. That didn't work so replaced the downstream (lower) O2 sensor (after the catalytic by the firewall) - about $35 from rockauto + a $8 socket from Harbor Freight. Erased code/reset as before. Finally changed the catalytic converter (which was a pain as there's not much space back there.) Erase code/reset. Since you have multiple codes, not sure if any of this will work for you.

*Idle learn procedure: Before you disconnect, make sure you have radio and navi codes. Turn off radio, fan, ac, lights. Turn the key to On (II) for 2 secs. If engine is cold, run at 3000 rpm until radiator fan comes on or engine warms up (a few mins). Run the car for about 5 mins at idle. If the radiator fan comes on, don't count that against the 5 mins. I usually set my timer for 7 mins.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts