Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just pick up these in the mail. CDM Tail lamp with clear signal.

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
OK, just re-read and see that the turn signal is clear. I like that it could use amber LED bulbs in the back - much more noticeable. It might be cool to pair with an amber/white switchback bulb up front.

Still, would appreciate a link - I haven't been able to find them yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
MDXSpec replied to me while ago on these tailights. Thought it would be a great mod and upgrade. Cant find his response but generally he got them from an Acura dealer in China thru a friend or relative. The cost is almost $700 USD for the pair if I recall. A little too rich for my blood but if I ever see a used pair I will be sure to snap them up if I can.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Are these legal in the U.S.?
I don't see why they wouldn't be. It is clearly legal to have rear amber turn signals, as many other brands offer. If nothing else has changed other than the clear lens for the turn signals then why not? Actually it may be illegal to swap in LEDs for the original incandescent lamps, if the light output were substantially different (ie. either not bright enough or too bright) or the illumination pattern were different. Much of the aftermarket HID and LED headlight conversions are clearly illegal due to intensity or pattern (and is something I would caution against). This change is just not likely an issue, and not something enforcement is going to notice. That $700 though...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Are these legal in the U.S.?
Technically NO. They lack the DOT approval marks.

That said, it is unlikely that you'd actually get a ticket or fail inspection, as they look low-key. But, in theory, they COULD ticket you or refuse to pass your inspection.

·
Registered
744 Posts
He said that he got them through a dealer in China. One can infer that they are a Chinese-specced part. Of course they could also be made in China for export, and be used in China as well. The reason I am looking for confirmation is that "CDM" is used to describe Canadian parts that meet local requirements. The answer could be "both" as well. If they are available in Canada it would be easier for those of us near the border to acquire them.

On a related issue, why does a product that has been around for more than a century not have agreed common international standards? It is absurd to have to adapt every car for each market, although it does offer a convenient non-tariff barrier to trade. Back in the '60s European cars had tempered glass windshields while we had laminated "safety" glass - now at least that has been agreed. Today even the headlights have different standards. And of course there is pollution, collision protection, bumper heights - you name it. Just crazy.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
It's China market for sure. Canadian market uses the same as the US for tails. He did indeed get them from a relative who has an Acura dealership in China, so there is no link.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
He said that he got them through a dealer in China. One can infer that they are a Chinese-specced part. Of course they could also be made in China for export, and be used in China as well. The reason I am looking for confirmation is that "CDM" is used to describe Canadian parts that meet local requirements. The answer could be "both" as well. If they are available in Canada it would be easier for those of us near the border to acquire them.

On a related issue, why does a product that has been around for more than a century not have agreed common international standards? It is absurd to have to adapt every car for each market, although it does offer a convenient non-tariff barrier to trade. Back in the '60s European cars had tempered glass windshields while we had laminated "safety" glass - now at least that has been agreed. Today even the headlights have different standards. And of course there is pollution, collision protection, bumper heights - you name it. Just crazy.
The United States and California can’t even agree on emission standards. China is not going to agree on our standards. We certainly are not going to agree to China’s lack of standards.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.