Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My CD player is acting goofy. If I am on FM and push CD, the last number will come up and then the error message Er E1 will come on flashing 2or3 times and then it goes back FM by it self.
The book says to contact the dealer. I was just wondering if I could do something and save driving 100 miles. It does it on any of the 6 CDs.

Big Al

P S Pushing the eject button also brings up the same message.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My wife's MDX had the exact error message and symptoms. Basically, the CD unit is jammed and must be replaced. BTW, this reminds me to contact our dealer regarding the return of the 6 CD's that were jammed in the changer - they're supposed to be returned after the unit's sent to the Manufacturer (the dealer's aren't supposed to try unjamming the unit).

The CD player has some things that I've always found a little odd. For example, if you switch to the radio, and then later back to the CD player, it starts in exactly the same spot on the disk as it left off. Same with when you turn off the car. When you get back in, the CD just starts playing at the last spot. You'd think that the player would have some built-in logic, where the head would move to a "landing area", when the unit is turned off.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I'm not sure that just because the CD Player picks up right where it left off, that that means the cd head does not move to a "Landing area". It may just store the CD/Track/position and return to it when you switch back.

Now, having said that, does a CD Player really need a "landing area"? The laser doesn't touch the surface, so regardless of "where" it is, shouldn't it be just as safe as any other position?

Just some thoughts.

I've always thought of it picking up from where it stopped as a bonus.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Agreed with AtlantaMDX about the feature, although I do admit starting the song in the middle is a little bit funny, but quite useful. Perhaps, a better solutions is having a set up option where one can set up either as start of last song in progress or continuing at the last point of listening.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm not sure either whether a CD player actually needs a landing zone. However, if the tolerances are so tight that the player can jam itself, then maybe a landing area would be a good thing. Our player didn't jam while changing a disk, it jammed in the middle of a disk, by itself, when it wasn't even playing.

I've never seen any other CD player that didn't reset itself after being turned off. To each his own, but I think it's odd that you come back to the truck after not driving it for a couple of days, and the CD player starts in mid-song. I don't think it's recalling where it was playing because there's no access lag when you turn the CD back on, it must just stop where it is when the CD's turned off. Never really bothered me, but after the player jammed itself, I thought it was odd (in hindsight).

·
Registered
681 Posts
golfski said:
I'm not sure either whether a CD player actually needs a landing zone. However, if the tolerances are so tight that the player can jam itself, then maybe a landing area would be a good thing. Our player didn't jam while changing a disk, it jammed in the middle of a disk, by itself, when it wasn't even playing.

I've never seen any other CD player that didn't reset itself after being turned off. To each his own, but I think it's odd that you come back to the truck after not driving it for a couple of days, and the CD player starts in mid-song. I don't think it's recalling where it was playing because there's no access lag when you turn the CD back on, it must just stop where it is when the CD's turned off. Never really bothered me, but after the player jammed itself, I thought it was odd (in hindsight).
Most CD player have the laser light glide on a rail so there is no need to go to a landing zone since there is no land to "land". I think the one in the X is not different. In fact I think the rail suuport system for the laser light as well as the drive mechanism is much more rigid/rugged due to the vibration of a moving vehicle (potholes included).

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
golfski said:
The CD player has some things that I've always found a little odd. For example, if you switch to the radio, and then later back to the CD player, it starts in exactly the same spot on the disk as it left off. Same with when you turn off the car. When you get back in, the CD just starts playing at the last spot.

This is a feature, not a mistake. The older CD players always started from the beginning of the track, which drives you crazy if you just shut it off quickly, restart and then have to listen to 2-3 minutes of the same song again.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It's not like a tape deck

This discussion seems to equate a CD player to a tape deck head. The tape deck has a head that actually touches the tape.

The CD player does not ever touch the recorded surface of the CD. There is only a beam of light that shines across the surface. It reflects off of the pits in the CD onto a laser pickup that interprets the binary position of each pit (or what becomes a bit). The logic in the CD player tells it which bit(s) to read next, so there is really no equivalent to a tape head moving across tape, or a park for the light or laser pickup.

You have all had a portable Walkman CD, right? Other than the spinning CD, the CD isn't touched and there aren't any other significant moving parts. If there were, the first time you bumped it, it would be forever out of whack.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I'm all for the "start where you left off" feature, great if you're listening to long tracks - Close to the Edge, Carmina Burana, the 5th Symphony, or, in Remery's case, the drum solo from "In-a-Gada-Da-Vida" - it's nice to not have to start over when the song is longer than your trip! :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm well aware that the laser is not designed to touch the disk. However, the fact remains that the CD jammed when the player was not even being used (implying that the disk was not spinning, and the laser was positioned wherever it was when the CD was turned off - i.e. in the middle of a disk). Like Big Al, I was unable to even eject any of the 6 disks. It was well and truly jammed!!

As far as this being a "feature", well as I said, to each his own. If the feature could be defeated in some way, then I might agree that it's a good design. I would have preferred that Acura/Bose put in a far more useful feature such as 6 disk random play, but that's just me.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
CD Player Jam

CD Player Jam. I have the same problem. It will correct itself after pressing eject a few times. I was told by the dealer that the Alpine player does not like pre-recorded CD's. (recorded from computers) I tried a store CD and it worked fine. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ours didn't correct itself. It was, according to our dealer, physically jammed and needed to be replaced. Our dealer replaced the unit and sent it back to the mfg. The dealer was quite familiar with the problem, even to the point of knowing that Acura doesn't want the dealer to attempt retrieving the disks (Acura probably knows the procedure that will minimize damage to the unit - so that it can be rebuilt and used as a re-furbished part.)

Usually, if a CD player cannot read a CD-R disk, the error shows up by the player not being able to read the TOC. We played many CD-R's on the old unit, and continue to play them on the new unit and we haven't had any problems (other than the one jamming!). However, IF what you're saying is correct, then it means that the player is not physically jammed, but is "logically" jammed and again goes back to the design of the player (not resetting itself on power off).

·
Registered
7 Posts
CD Jam

What the dealer is saying is CD-R's are not as wide as pre-recorded CD's and the Alpine player will not always load them or reject them correctly. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
24 Posts
CD Jam

I own a 91 Acura Legend LS Coupe with 6 CD changer in the trunk. My CD would start playing from where it left off even after few months. I think there is a computer in every CD player to remember where the last played location on a CD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Important Safety Tip

It appeared that my CD player jammed last night. I was ejecting all the CDs and it got stuck on one and started flashing the ER-E1 code and would then which to the radio. Well, when I looked at it this morning, someone had inserted a CD they had burned that had a paper label on the front. The Bose CD player simply cannot handle those disks well at all. While it can play CD-Rs fine, the rollers can't grab the paper and the disk gets stuck. Just something to check for in the future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tad_Taylor

Thanks for the info., I've previously had a CD-R get stuck and consequently stopped using them in the X, which was disappointing since I have a lot of music on CD-Rs. I will try using CD-Rs without the labels.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, since we have gone this far, maybe some one can tell me why I have THIS problem. For Christmas, my wife took a recording of my favorite Broadway show I did some 15 or so years ago which was on cassette and had it transfered to a CD. The CD plays fine in her X and also on her computer, but it will not play in my Eclipse GSX or on my computer. Is this personal? The technician at the studio where she had this done says he does not understand this. Does anyone here?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
baxter --

Is the underside of the CD fairly light (silver or gold) or is it dark (blue or green)? Some CD players have a hard time with dark-colored CDs, as the reflection characteristics (from the laser to the disc and back to the sensor) are different. If it's dark, email me and maybe I can help by burning you another on a light-colored CD.

Tad_Taylor --

Are the labels stuck down well and perfectly flat? If they have bubbles under them (easy to do), they're much more likely to jam. When I'm labeling CDs, I make sure the labels have all of the bubbles squeezed out from under them. I have no problems on my CD player, but I have the base system, not the Bose.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts