Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 6-CD changer jams from time-to-time. The first time it happened, the dealer had to replace the unit.

The next few times, the unit unjammed itself before I got it to the dealer. (It seems to help to press Eject while going over a bump.)

Anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have an Alpine 6-disk CD-Changer under my driver seat, it has never jammed at all.

·
Registered
351 Posts
DaleB said:
Outboard changers are inherently more reliable, flexible, and adaptable. But the optional Acura changer is overpriced. Alpine, Carion, Sony, Pioneer, etc. all make excellent ones.
Since I didn't get the touring model, I added the Acura 6-CD under the seat upon delivery. I had heard too many problems with the in-dash changer, so I didn't trust it. Plus my dealer was offering the changer+roof rack for $799. I've never had probs with the changer. What's the problem with the in-dash systems?? Is the technology not perfected yet??

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I honestly do not know the specifics of why it would be less reliable.
Maybe trying to shove 6lbs of ....... into a 5 lb bag?
My reasons have more to do with ergonomics and are largely subjective.
However, the flexibility of hooking an outboard changer through either RCA inputs to a more high end audio system, now or in the future is a major advantage , and in the interim there are other special adapters that can interface some with the Acura electronics, or the 3rd option is using the FM tuner. Probably the lowest option on the 'fidelity' list, but it's still an option.
Plus the ability to have an IR remote with numerous functions, and independent mechanical system which does not shut down your stock electronics if it screws up, and the ability to pre-stack mutli-disk cartridges are all major advantages in my book.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Jamming CD's

I heard of these problems but all were related to inserting the disc's upside down. If you acidentially insert the disc's the wrong way it jams the player. My friend had to have the entire bose unit removed and replaced. The had to send the unit to bose to get the disc's out. Be careful while loading the disc's, make sure they are inserted properly. They should make a way to eject if inserted the wrong way, but I don't believe they have a way.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
If you're burning your own CDs and using stickers or labels it can cause jamming.

Reports of jamming have been few and far between...was always either a defective unit (and I don't think there have been more than a couple w/the issue) or the dreaded label.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Are we talking Alpine changer or built-in Bose changer? I thought I was the only one with a screwed up Bose changer. It sometimes happens so much, I keep a super small sized needle nose in my console now. It would go months without a problem, then two or three times consecutively. If the problem doesn't get any worse, I'll just wail toward the end of my warranty and decide if I'll hit up the dealer for a replacement. Probably won't show a problem when I demonstrate it to them, of course (the un-escapable nature of intermittent problems).

·
Registered
54 Posts
nford said:
The 6-CD changer jams from time-to-time. The first time it happened, the dealer had to replace the unit.

The next few times, the unit unjammed itself before I got it to the dealer. (It seems to help to press Eject while going over a bump.)

Anyone else having this problem?
I just encountered this dreaded problem this morning. I put a homemade CD with a paper label in and the thing jammed. Never had trouble before. I couldn't eject or play any CDs. All I got was the error code Er E1 after it tried ejecting.:3:

I drove over some bumps and must have hit the eject button some fifty times with no luck. I also took out the coin holder ashtray and rapped on it from underneath while pushing the eject button.

Finally I stopped and shut it off. I got a small screwdriver and nail file. I got the CD feeder slot opened up and was able to maneuver the CD holder up and down. It appears to be a plastic rack that goes up and down inside with a slot for each CD. Once I got this turkey to move, I turned on the player again and was able to eject all the CDs out of the unit. I then started feeding them back in and everything is back to normal.:)

It worked for me and it sure as heck beats two trips to the dealer. Watch out for those homemade paper labels!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
So far I use mine one disk at a time. I make sure I don't put one in upside down, now come on it won't just reject it if I do? I won't take the chance.
Using it one disk at a time is not a big deal, that's how it works anyway, it will not allow me to shuffle between tracks on different disks. That sucks.
I may eventually go back to a good changer under my seat, load it with 12 disks for each trip and have a remote to operate it. No fuss!

·
Registered
35 Posts
CD's not Ejecting

My '01 Touring with original in-dash unit has had problem ejecting all kinds of discs; original, copied with or without paper labels from day 1. Dealer is going to replace head next Monday and I can't wait to see if it fixes all the hassles. We've left the same 6 cd's in it for several months now since it always jams. I'll let you know if it fixes my issues.

We're also getting 15,000 mile service done - any hints, cautions to watch out for?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
TheyCallMeBruce -- that's also known as The Perversity of Inanimate Objects (one of the basic Engineering principles).

BTW, I don't have the changer, only the single-CD unit, and have never had a problem with paper labels -- as long as the labels are rubbed-on with a firm finger, and there are no air bubbles left under the label.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yep, had same problem with homemade discs. Friend of mine does beautiful labels on his copy CD's and lent me some. Instant jam!! So my advise is if you want to use homemade copies of CD's, use a felt tip pen to label....no paper labels! Other than that, I have had no problems with the changer. Did change out the door speakers to a decent model with dramatic improvement.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Does everyone normally leave their 6-CD Changer loaded when not traveling. Any problems with a loaded changer in summer heat or winter cold.

·
Registered
499 Posts
We have never had a problem with our 01 Touring in-dash Bose CD changer and my wife gives it constant use with home made cd's. We leave cd's in it all the time!

The Louisiana heat never bothered it and the Virginia winters don't cause any problems either.:1:

Good luck..

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Our X is almost a year old. It has always had 6 CDs in it from the get go (changed from time to time). The SCAL temps don't get very cold, but the summers get over 100 degrees.

We just had the unit changed, but not because of the CD changer mechanism. No problems with the CD changer in the replacement unit either.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Bose finally went completey out

Couple months ago, September. The Bose-master decided to keep all of my CDs; no movement, no action, nada . . . just an ER message. Dealer said they've replaced several Bose in-dash players across different models ever since this type of player was put into production. They were not surprised and handled the matter rather routinely (advisor calls out down the hall to parts, "Joe, another Bose, MDX!" "Okay, I'll add it to the TL order!") Two days later they installed a new Bose unit under warranty, and 5 weeks later my CDs made it way back to the dealer. Between their paper-based full-range speakers, the anemic amps, and the unreliable in-dash changer, I am not very impressed with Bose automotive equipment. ( Though, I continue to be a fan of their home and studio speaker units.)

Not bad so far:

Weeping mirrors
Dead Bose
Broken Sway Link
Crooked replacement glove box

But not real good either. Still ahead at 4 vs. 15 compared to my Explorer during the first year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts