Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check emission light has gone on intermittently about 7 times in the last year or so. I've taken it in 2 times prior to today but in both prior cases the light had already gone out when I got there. The last time in early August they told me it was reading for the cc but since the light was out not to worry about it. It went back on about 6 weeks later and I took it in today (light is out again). Car is a 2011 with 89,900 miles on it. So they are saying it's definitely the cc but it's beyond warranty which they tell me is 8 years/80K miles. I'm so frustrated because I've taken it in in the past for this and that may have been before I was at 80,000. I have Acura Care until next November or 100K but it's apparently not covered under that. I have a call into Acura and they opened a case but I don't know if I have any chance of them honoring the warranty. Any thoughts? Also if it continues to go off and on and I'm not noticing any change in performance, should I do this now or wait? I wanted to get it in there now because I thought it would be covered under Acura care. Thanks for any suggestions on this. The dealer tells me it's $940 plus tax for a replacement.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If the light went out, there should be a snapshot of the code still stored in the ECM that Acura should be able to pull up since you took the car to them for the issue before the 80K mark.

Either way, you can buy a new cat for $250:

CONVERTER (2) for 2011 Acura MDX 5-DOOR

and labor should be less than 4 hours to do it, so it should be under $700 installed easily.

You can also buy the Rv6 Pre-Cat deletes (not sure if you have to go though inspections, but you may fail with the deletes) for $370 and you won't have the issue again.

https://rv6-p.com/pcd-mdx0709.html

You can also try running a fuel cleaner like seafoam through your gas tank and see if it helps!

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can install a "bypass" for the secondary O2 sensor to bypass the code. The rear cats (facing the firewall) on these cars seem to fail prematurely causing the code. They dont fail in a way which causes blockage, rather the chemicals used to make them filter out emissions "burns up". There is still the 3rd cat on the exhaust pipe which should filter out the rest which will still let you pass emissions, however the car will not be ULEV compliant.

To bypass and prevent the code from occuring, see this post from RallyD:
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/453811-post10.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts