Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cassette adapter that I have been using to connect my MP3 player to the head unit so I, but lately there's been a lot of crackling coming from the speakers only when I use this adapter (although I haven't tried listening to a tape to see if it crackles during tape play back), and not when I listen to the CD player (I don't listen to the radio so I would have to first find a station to test that source!).

This is my question --- are these adapters known to not provide good quality audio connections, or should I get a new one (this one is only a month or so old - I got it at Circuit City for about $15)

Another question --- are there any other ways to connect an MP3 player to the base head unit without messing with the wiring? (e.g. do the FM adapters work any better?)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I have never owned either kind of adaptor, but have heard both several times -- the FM adaptors definitely beat the cassette adaptors for sound quality.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the FM adapter opinion. Today I'm going to try the adapter in my TL-S. That should determine whether it's the adapter or the headunit! I don't know why these things don't come to be at a more reasonable time of day!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Some of the adaptors are of very poor quality. My first one broke after about six months. I then bought an adaptor made by Sony. The Sony unit is much better and is still working after almost two years. I would have to disagree with the other post - IMHO the cassette adaptors have better sound than the FM modulators.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have both the adapters, and I agree with MDX88 that the cassette adapter works better than the FM modulator. I connect it to my mini disc player using the FM modulator and I get a lot of distortion driving in the city. The FM modulator will receive transmission from any kind of sources and if the FM modulator is not mounted at a fixed location you will get a lot of distortion (even if it is sitting next to the radio, close to the antenna is what that counts).

I would recomended buying a better quality cassette adapter like the Sony one, or the MP3 player that is in the form of a cassette (have 64MB memory built in and upgradeable). :4:

Eddie,
:D

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I tried the adapter on my TL-S and it doesn't crackle, but it does have a bit of engine whine leaking through at high volume. I wonder if there's something wrong with my 'X's headunit! I think I'll try a cassette tape, if I can find one and see if it crackles, too.

BTW I've tried the FM adapters in the past for portable CD players and have not had fun! It can be quite hard to find a clear FM station and if you're travelling around, the clear spot will shift continually.

If I don't get crackling with the cassette, I'll go for the better quality adapter.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
eddie899 said:
I have both the adapters, and I agree with MDX88 that the cassette adapter works better than the FM modulator. I connect it to my mini disc player using the FM modulator and I get a lot of distortion driving in the city. The FM modulator will receive transmission from any kind of sources and if the FM modulator is not mounted at a fixed location you will get a lot of distortion (even if it is sitting next to the radio, close to the antenna is what that counts).

I would recomended buying a better quality cassette adapter like the Sony one, or the MP3 player that is in the form of a cassette (have 64MB memory built in and upgradeable). :4:

Eddie,
:D
I third the fact that the cassette adapter is better!! Thanks so much guys for giving me the idea of trying the cassette adapter today on my video sound. For the past 2 months, I've been struggling with the FM Modulator installed. The sound signal goes in and out, and the volume was just not loud enough when playing DVDs especially on the highway.

Today, I took out a cassete adapter I had, hooked it to the DVD player, and "Top Gun" sounded sensational:2:

Thanks so much guys. DVD players playing DVDs are the ultimate test in whether a solution is good, and until my installer will schedule me to put the sound through the external CD changer input, the cassette adapter will do. Thanks so much guys:2:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MDX88 said:
Some of the adaptors are of very poor quality. My first one broke after about six months. I then bought an adaptor made by Sony. The Sony unit is much better and is still working after almost two years. I would have to disagree with the other post - IMHO the cassette adaptors have better sound than the FM modulators.
So I'm thinking "geez, I must have some cheap adapter. I should stop at Circuit City and see if I can find a Sony adapter, that'll solve my problems!" when I took a look at the one I have -- surprise, surprise -- it's a Sony and it works like crap! I'm a Sony freak (I guess I prefer to spend a little more for my electonics!) and I am very dissatisfied with this product. I wish I could find the original packaging and the receipt, I'd take it back to the store.

I noticed another problem -- when I play my MP3 player through this adapter, the right channel over-powers the left and I have to rebalance the stereo to enjoy it! I happen to have the same CD in the changer (this was in my TL-S) as on the MP3 so I could switch between the two to compare the music and there is a definite balance problem!

Now, I'm switching back to the MDX and trying to solve the crackling noise. I hope I can do this before I embark on my 4,000 mile trip next week! I can't imagine having to lug a billion CDs with me when I can have all th CDs I need stored on my MP3 player.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts