Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just a quick info, I have a 2015 MDX tech SHawd that I am trying to get Carplay on.

I've seen the extensive Navtool thread here, and when I spoke to my local stereo installer, he basically said that they do not recommend Navtool because they are "shady" and not good/reliable folks to deal with. In reading the Navtool thread, that looks to be accurate.

I'm trying to see if anyone has tried buying the MDX OEM Acura Carplay module? It's part # 39095-TYR-A01. The brief research I've done, it seems to be the only added unit to the whole MDX setup. I'm thinking (and hoping) that it is similar to the way Ford retrofitted Carplay in their cars. There is a Youtube video about it from Ford itself titled: "Apple CarPlay™ Upgrade for SYNC® 3 Ford vehicles"

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.
-Chuck

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Nobody has tried it yet but a few other things did change along with the added cpu. You'll need a way to switch to the cpu, so they added a button to the ones we already had, so you'll need a new jog controller unit. There is also a harness between the head unit and cpu that you will need to changed. The head unit as a whole was also changed in 2018, but I'm not entirely certain it is required unless it included additional ports or pins required for the new harness. I haven't been able to find a picture of the back of a unit to confirm. The upper screen was also changed for a higher resolution one but I'm not so sure it's absolutely needed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello all,

Just a quick info, I have a 2015 MDX tech SHawd that I am trying to get Carplay on.

I've seen the extensive Navtool thread here, and when I spoke to my local stereo installer, he basically said that they do not recommend Navtool because they are "shady" and not good/reliable folks to deal with. In reading the Navtool thread, that looks to be accurate.

I'm trying to see if anyone has tried buying the MDX OEM Acura Carplay module? It's part # 39095-TYR-A01. The brief research I've done, it seems to be the only added unit to the whole MDX setup. I'm thinking (and hoping) that it is similar to the way Ford retrofitted Carplay in their cars. There is a Youtube video about it from Ford itself titled: "Apple CarPlay™ Upgrade for SYNC® 3 Ford vehicles"

Thanks all.
-Chuck
I installed the navtool.com product and it works just fine. I’ve been running it now in my 2016 MDX for several weeks and it provides for CarPlay on the upper screen. There’s one or two small limitations but this is certainly a better solution than buying a new car!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks all.
-Chuck
I have used Navtool with CarPlay and for the most part it works are intended. However it comes with few issues. Like Backup camera not always pops up. Since audio is routed through AUX input you cannot use steering wheel controls to change the audio track. Customer service is not great, its okay. For the few times I contacted them they helped me but not proactively, but they helped eventually which I think is okay.

Currently I am using GROM VLine VL2 with wireless CarPlay. I think currently this is one of the best integrated CarPlay retrofit to the car. I am using it on my 2017 MDX ADV. These guys are good. The few issues I had were fixed by updates to the unit via WIFI.

·
Registered
2018 MDX Advance SH-AWD Black Copper Pearl/Espresso
61 Posts
I’ve done research on this for my 2015 TLX and I’ve also found more positive feedback about GROM. Not only is it wireless, but installation looks much simpler as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have used Navtool with CarPlay and for the most part it works are intended. However it comes with few issues. Like Backup camera not always pops up. Since audio is routed through AUX input you cannot use steering wheel controls to change the audio track. Customer service is not great, its okay. For the few times I contacted them they helped me but not proactively, but they helped eventually which I think is okay.

Currently I am using GROM VLine VL2 with wireless CarPlay. I think currently this is one of the best integrated CarPlay retrofit to the car. I am using it on my 2017 MDX ADV. These guys are good. The few issues I had were fixed by updates to the unit via WIFI.
Thanks for sharing! I have your exact car and would LOVE to see pictures of how it looks installed. I feel out of my element here because I'm not at all sure how this would work. I don't do DIY, but I can pay someone to do it for me. Just don't know where to go, what to order, or who will install. I'd love some help. Signed, Suburban Soccer Mom ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts