Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I plan to keep my car for years, so I think it was worth the investment. I now have phone mirroring, rear DVD player, Roku player and front camera installed. I use the rear DVD player the most just to see what my kids are watching. I've had zero problems after they fixed my dead unit. I still don't like that my unit was NOT 100% plug and play nor does it do Android Auto, but it's OK.

@Simi_MDX. I was referring to the Navtool Carplay/Android Auto for the Center stack display, Are you referring to the same or the DVD unit for Rear seats?

***.navtool.com/acura-mdx-2014-2017-apple-carplay.aspx

·
Registered
117 Posts
NavTool box without the Apple Carplay. I used it to add video inputs to the front display. I spliced the signal from the rear OEM DVD player so I can see it on the front screen.

·
Registered
122 Posts
@leochen,

I am in a big dilemma to get/not get the Navtool unit for my Acura MDX 16. Being a long term user, what would be your suggestion?. Is it worth enough to invest time and money in this?.

That depends on your expectations. Don’t expect it to work like OEM unit. There are bugs here and there. I can only speak for Carplay.
What you get:
1. Carplay - you might need to connect/disconnect your phone multiple times for it to connect. Once connected, it works well. I mainly use Apple Music and Apple maps.
2. Control Carplay UI using factory buttons and joystick.
3. Front parking camera if you are going to install it - the guide line doesn’t work all the time. It shows 2, 3 lines randomly.
4. Side cameras - I don’t install them, so I can’t tell if they work.

Issues:
1. The center screen doesn’t always show back up camera when in reverse in Navtool mode. It only works around 50% of the time. This is very annoying bug to me. You have to switch out of Navtool mode and then back up camera would show on the screen.
2. Audio output from Navtool can only be sent to AUX In (stereo only?)
3. Siri commands don’t work well because of the cheap mic/low volume, and there is no way to boost the mic volume from the unit.
4. The Carplay UI becomes unusable(huge input delay) when I’m on phone call through Carplay.

You should not expect these issues will be fixed. I reported these issues to them couple months ago, and there is still no fix. I think we’d just have to live with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
That depends on your expectations. Don’t expect it to work like OEM unit. There are bugs here and there. I can only speak for Carplay.
What you get:
1. Carplay - you might need to connect/disconnect your phone multiple times for it to connect. Once connected, it works well. I mainly use Apple Music and Apple maps.
2. Control Carplay UI using factory buttons and joystick.
3. Front parking camera if you are going to install it - the guide line doesn’t work all the time. It shows 2, 3 lines randomly.
4. Side cameras - I don’t install them, so I can’t tell if they work.

Issues:
1. The center screen doesn’t always show back up camera when in reverse in Navtool mode. It only works around 50% of the time. This is very annoying bug to me. You have to switch out of Navtool mode and then back up camera would show on the screen.
2. Audio output from Navtool can only be sent to AUX In (stereo only?)
3. Siri commands don’t work well because of the cheap mic/low volume, and there is no way to boost the mic volume from the unit.
4. The Carplay UI becomes unusable(huge input delay) when I’m on phone call through Carplay.

You should not expect these issues will be fixed. I reported these issues to them couple months ago, and there is still no fix. I think we’d just have to live with it.

I am a android Auto user. I checked with Navtool and they claim support for AA. I have not seen any long-term review for AA from Navtool. If you test AA in future ,kindly update your experience in this thread.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am a android Auto user. I checked with Navtool and they claim support for AA. I have not seen any long-term review for AA from Navtool. If you test AA in future ,kindly update your experience in this thread.
I used an LG phone once on my MDX with Navtool for AA. Software seem to be working fine. Haven't tired it for longer period of time.
My guess is if its working for Carplay why wouldn't it work for AA.
Just try to set it in a cooler place. Unit seems to get hot easily and stop working. Check my other post in same thread for the placement of the unit. For me its not 100% but it works 90% of times.

·
Registered
54 Posts
also interested in getting the apple car play for my wife's 2015 but will subscribe to see future updates also. i've done some major tablet installs on my past cars (here's my well known acurazine one on my TL, https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-94/2013-nexus-7-diy-install-type-s-reverse-camera-953237/) so getting down and dirty mechanically isn't a problem, i'm just worried about software issues

thank you to all those in this thread that have put up their positives and negatives!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, i have a 2016 Honda odyssey, but our infotainment systems are similar. There is much more discussion on this forum about Navtool. I installed it yesterday, and I'm seeing alot of the same stuff other people on this forum are reporting.

-I'm sort of happy with it, its better than before. It can now read me texts, I can repy, I can navigate with google maps, I can use various music apps.
-My Oneplus 6T requires me to switch the USB mode to "MIDI" before it works (this is really annoying - I need a fix).
-The Microphone seems to pick up my "OK Google", but then doesn't pick anything else up unless I yell right into it.
-Phone calls are difficult, still don't know the best way to handle it, but it seems to be to switch back to the Honda System, which is lame.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks to everyone that has posted on here for your input and feedback. Based on the comments here, I'm not going to get this product. I'm not sure they understand U.S. consumers expectations that a $500+ product works perfectly every time right out of the box. Their website makes claims that disagree with the posts on here. Dang...I really would like to have CP on my 2016.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just wanted to chime in here and say that after I took the device back to Navtool in NJ and had them update the firmware (not the same as what gets updated using the Navtool updater tool) everything has been flawless. No more crashes when using Android Auto.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
That's kind of lame that the updates provided online are not the same. Not everyone can go into their physical location... Unless you're just their guinea pig for this version lol

Meanwhile on ebay someone just bought a 2018 head unit from LKQ for about $250 (what a steal!). I'm hoping that means someone is attempting to retrofit an older 2014-2017 mdx with it but hope they know they also need the aa/cp cpu unit from under the center storage cubby and associated harnesses along with some other parts.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
From your description this looks like a poor quality product from a fly by night company.

The product had all kinds of issues upon installation including apparently needing software patches written specifically in response to your issues, which means it was never a sale-ready product to begin with. If you hadn't been right down the street, if you will, from the company owner and hadn't been so accommodating to the company I expect the install would have never succeeded and if you had an installer install it you'd still be on the hook to pay the installer for a product that didn't work.

I say 'fly by night' since they seem to be very spotty on returning correspondence and calls in addition to trying to sell a product that won't work as shipped.

I can't imagine buying from this company regardless of how attractive the feature might sound.

Regardless, thanks for posting your experience.

Another possible explanation is that the original partner installer caused some of the problems. From the video i watched the install requires updates to be applied prior to installing the unit. I have not yet purchased anything from NAVTOOL but am planning to do so. I actually called them to ask questions and was able to get a support person live on the phone within 10 minutes of making the call. The initial tech I spoke to was moderatly knowledgable. Eventually I asked a question that required another tech to help with. From the point of asking that question to having the additional tech was about 3 to 4 minutes. I am network engineer by trade and have been in the IT support industry for over 20 years. In my honest opinion I think this is a good product from a company that is trying to be honest and reputable while still making money. After all my research on this product and all the reviews I have read , good and bad, I will be ordering this product. While I have yet to install this product or venture behind the display units and into the guts of my 2014 MDX I suspect things to be very tight. That said, I am planning to be sure all connections are secured, unstrained and ventinaltion is a good as possible. Could heat or cable strain also contribute to problems? I would say it is highly likely. Hope this helps someone ........

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's kind of lame that the updates provided online are not the same. Not everyone can go into their physical location... Unless you're just their guinea pig for this version lol

Meanwhile on ebay someone just bought a 2018 head unit from LKQ for about $250 (what a steal!). I'm hoping that means someone is attempting to retrofit an older 2014-2017 mdx with it but hope they know they also need the aa/cp cpu unit from under the center storage cubby and associated harnesses along with some other parts.

I beleive the NAVTOOL product is updatable by anyone who has physical possesion of the unit. It seems the update requires a laptop, USB connection and copy of the update software. All documented here: https://www.navtool.com/updates.aspx

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I beleive the NAVTOOL product is updatable by anyone who has physical possesion of the unit. It seems the update requires a laptop, USB connection and copy of the update software. All documented here: https://www.navtool.com/updates.aspx
Yes we know about that method. The other poster was saying that the fix was not obtainable from there and he had to go to navtool in person to get them to update it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The other poster was saying that the fix was not obtainable from there and he had to go to navtool in person to get them to update it.
Correct. I went back and forth with their support because and they sent me the firmware which they called R7 (guessing that's the revision) and instructions for flashing it but the instructions didn't work. It involved formatting a thumb drive as FAT32, copying some files to it, powering down the Navtool, plugging in the thumb drive, powering up the navtool and waiting 5min or something like that.

I eventually just gave up and asked if I could bring it to them, drop it off and have it updated. We went around and around for days on that and finally they said yes and then when I found the time they said I needed an appointment and they didn't have any openings for a week. They made an exception and told me that if I dropped it off in the morning they would work on it when they had time and I could pick it up end of day. They weren't great at communicating when it was done but I was able to pick it up that evening and now it's showing as R11 on the display so something definitely changed. The constant freezing issue is gone and it's been pretty solid since that update.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've looked at this product on this site, their site, and on acurazine...the reviews are 80% negative (my perception). Until I read near universal positive reviews on this company and product, I will steer clear. I really don't need another $500 - $800 problem right now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Correct. I went back and forth with their support because and they sent me the firmware which they called R7 (guessing that's the revision) and instructions for flashing it but the instructions didn't work. It involved formatting a thumb drive as FAT32, copying some files to it, powering down the Navtool, plugging in the thumb drive, powering up the navtool and waiting 5min or something like that.

I eventually just gave up and asked if I could bring it to them, drop it off and have it updated. We went around and around for days on that and finally they said yes and then when I found the time they said I needed an appointment and they didn't have any openings for a week. They made an exception and told me that if I dropped it off in the morning they would work on it when they had time and I could pick it up end of day. They weren't great at communicating when it was done but I was able to pick it up that evening and now it's showing as R11 on the display so something definitely changed. The constant freezing issue is gone and it's been pretty solid since that update.
I’m still debating if I should have my unit updated. It is still R5. I don’t have the freezing issue, but I do have the backup camera not showing issue. Is the camera issue fixed after upgrading to R11?

One good thing is Navtool seem to work fine with iOS 13 - the new Carplay interface.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My friend just gave me a used CarPlay Navtool for his 2017 Acura RLX, can I use it for my 2017 Acura MDX? Are they the same device? If yes, do I need to re-install any software or firmware? Thank you.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts