Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
To see the firmware plug in phone, activate Carplay by holding in the back button, then selecting Carplay, wait a bit and then unplug the phone cable. It may take a few tries but at some point it should show a blue screen that tells you to connect your phone. In the bottom right corner is the firmware build. Mine is R5. The build they sent me is R7.
Just checked mine, it is R5 as well...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Its hard to really test Carplay because it's not my phone and it would have to be a pretty long drive to really know if it would happen if I were using AA.

To see the firmware plug in phone, activate Carplay by holding in the back button, then selecting Carplay, wait a bit and then unplug the phone cable. It may take a few tries but at some point it should show a blue screen that tells you to connect your phone. In the bottom right corner is the firmware build. Mine is R5. The build they sent me is R7.

If you still under warranty, I would recommend an exchange. NavTool never admitted it's their fault and blamed on us not doing it right. I had the same issue with TLX with CarPlay. They never did sent me zip file but they blamed on me doing it wrong and they kept sending link to read --- blaming it's iOS issues. I decided to do an exchange. I marked mine just to be sure before returning. A week a later, I got the SAME unit back. Asked them why, they replay saying nothing wrong with my unit. This is the exact same wording they use. They did not use the word bios or whatever. They said,
the hardware is 5.0 but the software is 4.0. They had missed a few customers with latest 5.0 software before shipping out. They told me that their no way we as a customer know it's 5.0 or 4.0. Only their machine at their shop can tell.
Once I receive the exchange and they claimed it 5.0, my unit working great. They even told me if new update released, they will email to customer to install using "NavTool Updater". I doubt this is true on notifying customers.

From my FB msger:

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
My Experience with NavTool W/CarPlay....17MDX

Although I don't think it make a difference on which model year you are using NavTool in. My context is for 17 MDX.

I originally used NavTool unit with HDMI mirroring. Ordered the device and got it in a weeks time no issues there. Installed it with out any issues and enjoyed the HDMI mirroring with my iPhone.

Later when I saw NavTool came up with CarPlay. I was quite excited. Ordered it Next day got an email saying order shipped. But i think it was almost a week before it actually got to the shipping company. Well in ~three weeks I got the unit and I installed it.
Did not came across any major issues, well actually no issues at all installing it. I was lucky enough that they sent everything. I mean all the Harnesses with the MIC (yes the MIC was also given).

Now for me it was too good to be true :smile2: that I got the unit, everything was their and I installed it in less that couple of hours. CarPlay was working seamlessly. After couple of days we went for a long drive and noticed that CarPlay stopped working after some time (too good to be true movement was trashed:crying2:). And it asks me to connect iPhone with a USB cable (PIC attached). I thought might be some issue with the phone. Next day took the car out for 5-10min drives and CarPlay worked just fine. Next week again we went for a long drive and again noticed that CarPlay stops working after some time. Beginning to notice a pattern that CarPlay stops working after 20-30min of use. And I have to stop the car turn off the engine and start it back. And Carplay working fine again. But again after 20-30min of use same problem.

So I contacted Navtool team. As you guys know the customer service is Mediocre. After quite a few email exchanges and followups they asked me to send in the unit. Couple of week later someone from Navtool calls me and asks me what is the probelm. I explained. Couple of weeks later I got the NavTool back. I had no idea what happened. So I emailed them asking what happened was there any issues is the issue with the unit, did you send a new unit. They replied the unit was changed.

Well ok, So I installed it and tested. Same problem CarPlay stops working after 20-30 mins. When all of this was happening I was also discussing this with a FB friend in MDX group. He Mentioned by listening to the problem it looks like the unit is getting heated up and stops working. He asked me to keep it cool. So I took his advice replaced Navtool unit to a different place in the car. After placing the unit in a different place which was last week I have not seen the problem coming back. I tested the CarPlay on longer drives of 1+hour.

Attached is the pic of where it was before and where its now. I hope it helps.

All in all in my opinion Navtool is a good Product, but they need to work on their Customer Service and also their email skills. Almost all their emails are crappy. Some emails does not even makes sense.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Model & year do matter. They have different device and software for different model and year. For example, it doesn’t work when I try to install the TLX Navtool software on my MDX (the back button doesn’t switch to Navtool mode)

Wow, was it in winter or summer when you had heat issue?

I noticed that the Navtool was kinda hot even in winter. Hopefully the heat won’t become a problem in summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Model & year do matter. They have different device and software for different model and year. For example, it doesn’t work when I try to install the TLX Navtool software on my MDX (the back button doesn’t switch to Navtool mode)

Wow, was it in winter or summer when you had heat issue?

I noticed that the Navtool was kinda hot even in winter. Hopefully the heat won’t become a problem in summer.

Sure software matters hardware is same.

Heating issue came in peak winter. I mean even in negative temps. Now that you mentioned about summer and winter. I am now worried.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Think the oem head unit outputs enough heat in the original position to cause overheating issues?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Indeed. Though i never had heat issues with my naviks there so these new units seem very sensitive. Their casings dont seem to have ventilation either.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
I'm going back to the shop that installed the NavTool in my MDX some. Lately, half the time it work, half the time it doesnt work. So frustrating! The owner (the guy who does the install videos on YouTube) is close by the shop so I'm hoping he stops by and does the upgrade. I don't think its a heat issue because it sometimes works for an hour with no issues and at other times, it crapps out after 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2015 MDX Tech SHAWD
58 Posts
I'm going back to the shop that installed the NavTool in my MDX some. Lately, half the time it work, half the time it doesnt work. So frustrating! The owner (the guy who does the install videos on YouTube) is close by the shop so I'm hoping he stops by and does the upgrade.
Keep us posted on that. I'm curious to see if the owner will come through with an update to fix your issues. I may jump on onboard and get one sooner if the reliability improves. My Naviks mirror unit is starting to act up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm going back to the shop that installed the NavTool in my MDX some. Lately, half the time it work, half the time it doesnt work. So frustrating! The owner (the guy who does the install videos on YouTube) is close by the shop so I'm hoping he stops by and does the upgrade. I don't think its a heat issue because it sometimes works for an hour with no issues and at other times, it crapps out after 5 minutes.
Who did your install? Can you share contact info (DM if you prefer)?

Do you use iOS or Android devices?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Would you be able to refer to the shop you went for the install? Please DM me if preferable.

Thanks!

·
Registered
147 Posts
All I know is every time I pop in here there is a long thread where the Navtool requires some sort of tweet, fix, kick to get it to work. No way I would ever put that in my ride. I give all of you credit that struggle with it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yea, I feel I’m their alpha not even beta tester... many issues here and there, takes them forever to release a fix, or maybe no fix at all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So, I finally received my replacement navtool unit and so far everything works! I hate to say this but their customer service sucks! Every time I have to call to ask a question on any updates on my replacement or software issues I say I’ll never refer these guys! It’s sad because they have a great product just crappie customer service.

So anyone using iPhone with CarPlay and mirroring? So with a usb to lighting cable connector on Navtool unit for CarPlay and hdmi cable to hdmi port on navtool unit to hdmi lighting connector then to iPhone for mirroring. You you guys have to use 2 separate lighting cables one for mirroring and another for CarPlay? Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes you have to use two separate cable for Carplay and Mirroring.

I am with you I cannot recommend these guys. True, its a shame they have a good product.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So, I think I may have blown my HDMI port by pluging my usb to lightning cable into a cigarette lighter 3.1 amp usb changer to my Apple hdmi lighting connector to charge my phone while using mirroring? When I purchased my CarPlay and mirroring unit the mirroring worked. But after playing around it stopped and nothing would work on my HDMI port on Navtool unit. Anyone have same issues?? When I had just Navtool’s mirroring unit I plugged directly into the USB port on the navtool unit to get my power to charge my iPhone while I used it to view on my navigation screen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yea, I feel I’m their alpha not even beta tester... many issues here and there, takes them forever to release a fix, or maybe no fix at all.

@leochen,
I am in a big dilemma to get/not get the Navtool unit for my Acura MDX 16. Being a long term user, what would be your suggestion?. Is it worth enough to invest time and money in this?.

·
Registered
117 Posts
@leochen,
I am in a big dilemma to get/not get the Navtool unit for my Acura MDX 16. Being a long term user, what would be your suggestion?. Is it worth enough to invest time and money in this?.
I plan to keep my car for years, so I think it was worth the investment. I now have phone mirroring, rear DVD player, Roku player and front camera installed. I use the rear DVD player the most just to see what my kids are watching. I've had zero problems after they fixed my dead unit. I still don't like that my unit was NOT 100% plug and play nor does it do Android Auto, but it's OK.

101 - 120 of 139 Posts