Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
looks like Navtool just released new version firmware for "RDX" and "ILX" cars. Hopefully they release the new version firmware for MDX soon, and it will be great if it fixes the problems we reported here.
Has anyone found a way to track firmware releases?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Got everything installed and after some strange findings with my OnePlus 6T (USB mode has to be set to MIDI for it to work within Android Auto). One surprise so far is that I don't get Google Maps turn by turn audio prompts unless the audio source is set to Aux. Is that right? I use SiriusXM a lot and it would kinda suck if there is no way to get AA/Carplay turn prompts while listening to SiriusXM/FM/AM radio.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Unfortunately, you have to use Aux input to hear the sound from Navtool.

Do you see the joystick input delay when you are on phone call using AA?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Do you see the joystick input delay when you are on phone call using AA?
I don't think so but I'm still a little confused about how call handling and mic hand-off (for voice command) works. Bluetooth was disabled on my phone and I made a call. It used the handset speakerphone for the call which I thought was strange. While on the call I turned on Bluetooth and the phone connected to the Acura system and the call audio switched over to the car speakers.

Does anyone know...
* When it uses the mic built into the Acura vs the wired navtool mic vs the phone mic?
* Should I be using Bluetooth for phone calls? I def don't want to use the phone speaker but based on comments here I assumed it would route over the navtool and into the Aux input because Bluetooth was disabled but that didn't happen.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Iirc, It uses the mic from the mdx when you are connected to the mdx's bt interface. It uses the extra mic you install with the navtool if you call through the aa/cp NavTool phone interface.

And yeah with all these aftermarket mirroring systems, they only do audio via aux in.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll play around with it a bit more.

Something else I noticed is that even when the car is off the NavTool unit is still providing power to the phone. Should I be concerned about this? Navtool support says that's not possible and that Navtool is powered off when the car isn't running or in accessory mode but it's def charging the phone.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Hmmm well it gets power from intercepting the harness of the head unit, so it should power off with the head unit. It is possible that the head unit has a delayed shut down, where the power cuts off totally after things like door opening or after a certain time. Maybe try waiting a bit next time you turn off the mdx and see how long before you lose power indication on the phone end.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmmm well it gets power from intercepting the harness of the head unit, so it should power off with the head unit. It is possible that the head unit has a delayed shut down, where the power cuts off totally after things like door opening or after a certain time. Maybe try waiting a bit next time you turn off the mdx and see how long before you lose power indication on the phone end.

You were right. After locking the door and waiting about 30-45 seconds it stopped charging.

For some reason I'm having issues with the mic that Navtool provided. Does anyone have a recommendation for another mic to use with Navtool? Is it a 2.5 or 3.5mm jack?

Also... Does anyone have the docs for how to disassemble the center console so that I can pull the audio cable?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I purchased a new wired mic and still can't get voice commands to work.

On Android it detects the "Ok Google" but I think that's because the phone mic is picking that up. After that it just times out and doesn't hear anything else.

On iPhone I press the phone button to activate Siri and ask things but I never responds.

I've tried reconnecting the harness to the navtool and reconnecting the mic plug. Nada. Anyone have any ideas of things I could try?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Did you try to make phone call through Navtool mic? Do people hear your sound?

Did you connect to the correct mic cable? And try to speak to the mic as close as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you try to make phone call through Navtool mic? Do people hear your sound?

Did you connect to the correct mic cable? And try to speak to the mic as close as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I talked to support they said that on the MDX Bluetooth is used for calls and that the wired mic is only for voice commands. Without Bluetooth calls come thru the handset speakerphone.

I've tried reconnecting the navtool harness and even replacing the mic with a new one. No dice.

Going to try to reflash the software tonight. If anyone has other ideas I'd appreciate it. If none of that helps I would guess my next move would be to ask for the navtool and harness to be replaced?

·
Registered
122 Posts
The Bluetooth + Carplay at the same time caused freezing issue for me, and it seems to confuse the car/Navtool as well.
I removed my phone from my car Bluetooth device list, and it seems to work well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Bluetooth + Carplay at the same time caused freezing issue for me, and it seems to confuse the car/Navtool as well.
I removed my phone from my car Bluetooth device list, and it seems to work well.
So you are able to make calls without Bluetooth and have the incoming audio route over the Aux input and thru the car speakers and it uses the wired mic? If so that directly conflicts with what navtool support told me for my 2016 MDX. Maybe it changed in a recent navtool software update?

·
Registered
122 Posts
that's what they told me as well, and they even say I shouldn't need to use the mic from Navtool at all, but it just didn't work, and this is the final setup I end up with after testing different setups.

speaking of firmware, there was no new firmware release for MDX in the past 2+ months.

I talked to their customer support, and they said they were testing the new MDX firmware, and it should get released soon. They also told me the new firmware would be released in last December which didn't happen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Found the problem with the wired mic not working for voice commands. The mic wires had come out of the molex plug. I shoved them in and confirmed it works but Navtool is sending a new harness since that's not really a permanent solution.

Still having quite a few issues with Android Auto freezing randomly and requiring me to unplug the USB cable and reconnect it. Had to do this 4x during a 45min drive on Saturday. Testing with some new cables to see if it's a problem with the cable I'm using. I've tested on a Pixel XL as well as OnePlus 6t (both on Android 9). My wife's iPhone doesn't have any of these issues.

Is everyone connecting their phone USB cable directly to the navtool? I purchased a USB 3.0 flush mount extension that I had planned to mount in the center console but didn't want to tackle that until I get this working reliably. I'm also testing without this to see if that's part of the problem but I'm curious how other are connected to the navtool. Because my wife and I need to different cables (Apple and USB-C) I really wanted to have an external connection to the navtool.

·
Registered
18 Posts
@leochen,
I tried disabling bluetooth and making calls and it just sends the audio through the handset speakerphone. The only options I have (using Android Auto, not Carplay) is phone or speakerphone. Both use the speakers on the handset itself.

I'm still having a ton of crashing/freezing issues where the display in the car freezes and the phone gives a fullscreen error that says something like "Android Auto encountered an error, communication error 12". I've been going back and forth with support on Facebook chat and they are telling me there is a new firmware he referred to as R7 that fixes this. He sent me a dropbox link to a RAR file with some files it in and instructions to load them onto a thumb drive and flash the Navtool via USB (not using the sotware updater). In short the instructions involved

1. formatting a thumb drive as FAT32
2. copying the files to the root of the drive
3. unplugging the main connector to the navtool
4. insert USB drive into the navtool USB
5. plug in wiring harness back into the navtool to restore power
6. wait 10min
7. unplug wiring harness
8. unplug USB thumb drive
9. plug in wiring harness

I've tried countless times and can't get this stupid thing to update. The person responding on chat insists there are thousands of customers who update Navtool using this process and that I'm not doing it right. Has anyone updated their Navtool like this? If so I'd love some help.

·
Registered
122 Posts
@leochen,
I tried disabling bluetooth and making calls and it just sends the audio through the handset speakerphone. The only options I have (using Android Auto, not Carplay) is phone or speakerphone. Both use the speakers on the handset itself.

I'm still having a ton of crashing/freezing issues where the display in the car freezes and the phone gives a fullscreen error that says something like "Android Auto encountered an error, communication error 12". I've been going back and forth with support on Facebook chat and they are telling me there is a new firmware he referred to as R7 that fixes this. He sent me a dropbox link to a RAR file with some files it in and instructions to load them onto a thumb drive and flash the Navtool via USB (not using the sotware updater). In short the instructions involved

1. formatting a thumb drive as FAT32
2. copying the files to the root of the drive
3. unplugging the main connector to the navtool
4. insert USB drive into the navtool USB
5. plug in wiring harness back into the navtool to restore power
6. wait 10min
7. unplug wiring harness
8. unplug USB thumb drive
9. plug in wiring harness

I've tried countless times and can't get this stupid thing to update. The person responding on chat insists there are thousands of customers who update Navtool using this process and that I'm not doing it right. Has anyone updated their Navtool like this? If so I'd love some help.
No, I'm not aware of anyone did these steps. If I understand the situation correctly, it seems they try to ask you to update the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System. firmware) of the Navtool. It is different from the software (updated via updater).

Can you provide your device model and software version in the updater tool?
Does the Carplay work on your wife's phone?

·
Registered
18 Posts
No, I'm not aware of anyone did these steps. If I understand the situation correctly, it seems they try to ask you to update the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System. firmware) of the Navtool. It is different from the software (updated via updater).

Can you provide your device model and software version in the updater tool?
Does the Carplay work on your wife's phone?
UM132129. Software is 2.3

I'm not sure. I mean it works long enough to test it but then again so does mine. For me it may crash 5 minutes into a drive or 55 minutes. It only seems to happen when I'm using AA for navigation. I've seen it happen with both Waze and Maps.

She's never used Carplay aside from the initial testing I did.

For what it's worth I've tested with 5 different cables including 3 new that I bought just to try and fix this. I also tested with a Google Pixel XL running stock Android 9 so if it doesn't work on that with the factory cable it's a Navtool issue.

·
Registered
122 Posts
UM132129. Software is 2.3

I'm not sure. I mean it works long enough to test it but then again so does mine. For me it may crash 5 minutes into a drive or 55 minutes. It only seems to happen when I'm using AA for navigation. I've seen it happen with both Waze and Maps.

She's never used Carplay aside from the initial testing I did.

For what it's worth I've tested with 5 different cables including 3 new that I bought just to try and fix this. I also tested with a Google Pixel XL running stock Android 9 so if it doesn't work on that with the factory cable it's a Navtool issue.
It is the same device and software version as mine.

For the BIOS/firmware update, did they mention how to check the BIOS/firmware version of the device? I can't find this info to compare with your device, but I only use Carplay, so I'm not sure how valuable this info is even we can find the BIOS/firmware version.

I would recommend trying Carplay, and see if it works. If it doesn't, it is probably device issue, you should get return/replace it. I've never run into freezing issue since I removed my phone from the car bluetooth device list, but it has other issues (unrelated to your issue) as I documented in the other thread.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It is the same device and software version as mine.

For the BIOS/firmware update, did they mention how to check the BIOS/firmware version of the device? I can't find this info to compare with your device, but I only use Carplay, so I'm not sure how valuable it is even we can find the BIOS/firmware version.

I would recommend trying Carplay, and see if it works. If it doesn't, it is probably device issue, you should get return/replace it.
Its hard to really test Carplay because it's not my phone and it would have to be a pretty long drive to really know if it would happen if I were using AA.

To see the firmware plug in phone, activate Carplay by holding in the back button, then selecting Carplay, wait a bit and then unplug the phone cable. It may take a few tries but at some point it should show a blue screen that tells you to connect your phone. In the bottom right corner is the firmware build. Mine is R5. The build they sent me is R7.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts