Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a cargo tray or rubber mat for the rear trunk area and seen a couple of different kind. So could someone that has more experience with these, tell me the difference and advantages for each.

1. Regular flat rubber mat - OEM Genuine Acura MDX Fixed Cargo Trunk Tray Rubber Mat 2014-2016

2. One with a raised brim - Rear Trunk Tray Boot Liner Cargo Mat Floor Protector All Weather for Acura MDX

3. One that folds in 3 section - 3D Maxpider Acura MDX 07-13 Gray Cargo Liner Floor Mat

·
Registered
321 Posts
OEM 3 Section on is good quality rubber, each section has a lip & it's great if you occasionally use 3rd row as it folds up & still fits & is even still useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I went with the folding 3 section cargo liner for my 11 MDX. There were times I needed to use the 3rd row seats in a pinch and the folding liner folds and fits nicely in the little spot when the 3rd row is in use. It might be hard to store the non-folding cargo trays behind the 3rd row depending on how rigid the other liners are. I've purchased the tri-fold back in 2014 and it has held up perfectly. I also put a 6X8 folded nylon tarp, Amazon, $8, under the cargo liner for any items larger than the MDX liner. I use the tarp for stuff like Home depot runs for bags of soil/plants/bricks, transporting my fat tire eMTB bike when I'm too lazy to put rack on the hitch, wrapped a extremely dirty flat tire with the tarp, spring cleaning trash runs to the dump, etc...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good feedback guys, thanks

So 3 section folding will be my choice since I do use the 3rd row occasionally. Is there a 3 section folding that has a raised edge to catch spills?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
There is a raised lip about 1 inch tall on the edge; but, the fold parts doesn't have a lip. Spills can leak out where the two folds are located on each side (4 potential leak points). It would take a pretty big spill to be an issue.

Pic of side of OEM MDX cargo tri-fold liner:

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I usually keep the 6X8 tarp folded pretty small and hide under the cargo liner. I whip it out when needed.

·
Registered
321 Posts
That's a great idea MrG. I think I'll start doing that for when my wife makes an unexpected nursery run. For MD_X, it's worth noting I've had my 3Fold for 8 years & it's just as good as new (rubbery, pliable, sticky-in the good rubber way). It's a quality product & has held up better than my 2nd row Weathertech liner (the front row "rubber" Weathertec mats have held up fine thought the anchor hole doesn't line up with my 2009 carpet anchor).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm looking to buy a cargo tray or rubber mat for the rear trunk area and seen a couple of different kind. So could someone that has more experience with these, tell me the difference and advantages for each.

1. Regular flat rubber mat - OEM Genuine Acura MDX Fixed Cargo Trunk Tray Rubber Mat 2014-2016

2. One with a raised brim - Rear Trunk Tray Boot Liner Cargo Mat Floor Protector All Weather for Acura MDX

3. One that folds in 3 section - 3D Maxpider Acura MDX 07-13 Gray Cargo Liner Floor Mat

I have the 3 section version. Easier to deal with if you need to use third row seating and need the tray to stay in the MDX.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Hey MD_X, have you ordered your tri-fold cargo liner yet? I saw the same mat you liked on Amazon, $110, I get free 2 day shipping with Prime and it got a 5 stars rating: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009TB53Y4/ref=crt_ewc_img_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I was thinking about getting this one to replace my OEM cargo liner. I had a bottle of fuel additive with a slightly loose cap in the hatch and it spilled on the OEM liner. The liner did its job and contained the spill. My OEM liner still stinks like the fuel additive after a month of washing, airing out, and a 1/2 gallon of febreze.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey MD_X, have you ordered your tri-fold cargo liner yet? I saw the same mat you liked on Amazon, $110, I get free 2 day shipping with Prime and it got a 5 stars rating: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009TB53Y4/ref=crt_ewc_img_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I was thinking about getting this one to replace my OEM cargo liner. I had a bottle of fuel additive with a slightly loose cap in the hatch and it spilled on the OEM liner. The liner did its job and contained the spill. My OEM liner still stinks like the fuel additive after a month of washing, airing out, and a 1/2 gallon of febreze.

MrG did you end up getting that 3DMaxpider tri-fold cargo mat? I’ve been considering their product to replace myn2nd row Weathertech digital fits. I think it would be my 1st choice for the rear as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
MrG did you end up getting that 3DMaxpider tri-fold cargo mat? I’ve been considering their product to replace myn2nd row Weathertech digital fits. I think it would be my 1st choice for the rear as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I did purchase the 3DMaxpider from Amazon and it is waaaay better than the OEM cargo mat I had before. Much thicker construction, higher lip for containing spills, cool design, and the back side is almost like Velcro to keep it in place without a hint of sliding around.

I now have 3DMaxPider in the cargo area, weather tech 3rd row, and OEM all weather 1st and 2nd row.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I purchased the OEM tri-fold cargo mat, this morning. I considered the 3DMaxpider, but I went genuine Acura so I could match my existing OEM floor mats in the first and second rows.

The tray does slide a little. It wasn't nearly as bad as some of the reports, here, led me to believe. Maybe only 1" of total movement front-to-back and about 1/4" movement side-to-side. I'm going to stop by a hardware store when I get lunch so I can pick up some velcro. I believe sticking some of the "hooks" half of the velcro to the underside of the cargo tray will engage the factory carpet and should hold things solid. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I picked up some "automotive" velcro from Lowes. So far, I like the result.

I added a strip on each end of the tray, and then four small strips near the "MDX" logo. The benefit of this is that the mat stays put, but I can still access the handle for the rear storage compartment, without removing the cargo tray.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I have a flat universal cargo net I got off of Amazon that also keeps my cargo tray in place. I attached the cargo net to the four metal square hooks in the hatch area. I also have the OEM hanging cargo net and cargo cover.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The early OEM tri-fold mats for 3rd-gen Pilot had velcro strips on the back, but it pulls up the nap of the "carpet" beneath it on the back of the 3rd-row seats. That "carpet" is very low quality in Pilot, and it may be a bit better in MDX. But that's something to watch out for if you add velcro. Current OEM tri-fold mats for Pilot omit the velcro, as with the MDX mat. I do find that I have to shove the MDX mat forward now and then.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The early OEM tri-fold mats for 3rd-gen Pilot had velcro strips on the back, but it pulls up the nap of the "carpet" beneath it on the back of the 3rd-row seats. That "carpet" is very low quality in Pilot, and it may be a bit better in MDX. But that's something to watch out for if you add velcro. Current OEM tri-fold mats for Pilot omit the velcro, as with the MDX mat.
That was a consideration when I was deciding where to add the velcro... I wanted to be able to access the cargo cover handle without having to disengage the velcro.

·
Registered
870 Posts
That was a consideration when I was deciding where to add the velcro... I wanted to be able to access the cargo cover handle without having to disengage the velcro.
For Pilot the velcro is only over the back of 3rd row seat, not over cargo cover. My Pilot's carpet is a bit messed up, but it's out of sight and out of mind until I finally sell the thing... maybe take the dog's clippers to it? :grin:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts