Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I don't own my MDX yet (ordering it on Tues), I have a question regarding the "Cargo net" (not to be confused with the Cargo Screen).

I've seen it stated they're for things such as holding grocery bags, but I'm trying to understand how that works.

Is the method to place something between the net and the open-door space, that when the door is shut, there is some holding ability? or is it there just to place things in the larger area "in front" and therefor just a thingy to prevent stuff from falling out when the door is opened?

Just curious (and you people always have the answers...)

regards,

JohnW

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
It has options -- first of all, it's "stretchy," so it can expand somewhat for versatility. When it's stretched from left to right across the back, standing vertically, it's actually two vertical panels joined at the bottom and open at the top. Pull the top halves apart, and you can place grocery bags, loose food or tools, etc., between the halves for nearly the full width of the car. It can also be mounted horizontally on the floor so you can lift it up and shove items under it (great for watermelons!) We find it to be versatile, but we don't use it much in the MDX. My wife uses the one in her '99 Accord (similar if not exactly the same) almost daily.

It can also be used in either of the modes you suggest.

If you leave it "disconnected," as we do, it's a bit of a pain to put it up (vertical), as the upper "hooks" take a bit of finger strength and dexterity to connect to the net.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
It depends on the load. In the folded configuration, the idea is to put bags in the net, between the folds if you will.
If it was something large, and just sliding around, not necessarily heavy, then yes, the net will act as a barrier to keep it from falling out when you open the back.

And the hooks on the sides that you pull the top loops of the net over, can also be used to secure plasic shopping bags.

In the unfolded configuration, the net could cover something relatively large, and keep it secured.

Maybe others have found other unique uses.

·
681 Posts
Works For Me

I think DaleB described it very well. I just wanted to add my vote for it's usefulness. It is the one removable accessory that is ALWAYS in the X. I keep some small items like an umbrella and hat etc. inside the net all the time and I will put small packages in it as well. For larger items like full-size grocery bags, the net keeps them in place.
Meep Meep

·
681 Posts
Full Load

I thought you might enjoy this picture of a full-load at the start of our Western Trip . The wife is NOT a light packer.Without the net this would have been a fiasco.
Meep Meep

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
John W

Welcome to the club!!!!

I think the cargo net is a must for all MDX owners. For an item under $40.00, it should be standard equipment.

I didn't get one at first, but after a couple of trips to the store and everything sliding around I quickly place an order to Tim.

When I place my order with Tim, it was on the backorder list. So it seems to be a popular item.

See if the dealer will throw one in for you free and maybe some other accesories.

Papawoolf

·
Registered
285 Posts
i have to admit the cargo net is very useful in the verticle configuration with a relatively full load... if you have only a couple of plastic bags, the hooks on the cargo floor are more useful....

i think the cargo net and cargo tray are more useful than the cargo cover....

·
Registered
671 Posts
The cargo net is the single most useful item that I have added to my MDX. The net comes standard in the TL and CL, I don't understand why it doesn't come with the MDX. I leave mine installed in the folded configuration so I can put items inside it, between the net and the door, and between the net and the third row seats. If need be, I can put the third row down, re-position the net and have the net lay flat so I can put items under it. I can't imagine not having this useful device.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I use my cargo net a lot, but I have one problem with it. The clips used to attached the net are very hard to open. I plan to add some easy open clips like a caribean (sp?).

·
Registered
88 Posts
The cargo net is very useful. It can line up shopping bags so that I can throw a sweater over it lengthwise. This keeps the stuff out of sight in the parking lot (cheap cargo cover). In addition, I don't know you would put groceries in the back without the cargo net. Everything would be flying all over the place. IMHO a must addition (thanks Tim).

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
JohnW said:
Since I don't own my MDX yet (ordering it on Tues), I have a question regarding the "Cargo net" (not to be confused with the Cargo Screen).

I've seen it stated they're for things such as holding grocery bags, but I'm trying to understand how that works.

Is the method to place something between the net and the open-door space, that when the door is shut, there is some holding ability? or is it there just to place things in the larger area "in front" and therefor just a thingy to prevent stuff from falling out when the door is opened?

Just curious (and you people always have the answers...)

regards,

JohnW
Very useful stop objects from smashing into back hatch. Also hold shopping bags upright and don't tip over. Stop things from rattling around. Very good idea!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Couldn't do without cargo net!

We keep the cargo net in the vertical (folded) configuration all the time. I keep a lot of small things (gloves, hats, rags, plastic bags, etc.) in it. Its main function is to act as a flexible divider between the larger (forward) portion of the cargo area and the smaller portion near the hatch. When shopping we load bulky items in the forward part and shopping bags in the rear. (Everything is hidden by the cargo cover.)

On trips the luggage goes in the forward portion, and things we may need quickly or pickup along the way go in the back. (For instance, we have put small flats of plants and boots back there. The net protects the smaller, fragile items for being crushed by larger items and keeps them quickly accessible. The manual warns about things falling out when opening the hatch. I'm always careful, but haven't really had a problem with that.

The only times I disconnect it is when I load a long item that needs the full cargo area and isn't flat enough to fit under the net. Then I disconnect one end (with everything in it) and pull it to the side. I like the idea of using a carabiner clip on the bottom--I'm going to try that. Once you get the hang of looping the elastic over the hangers at the top, it isn't too hard, but that is definitely the most difficult part.

- Conrad

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Very Useful

Since the rear hatch opens from the top, loose items in the back can fall out if you are not careful - considering the price I consider the net a MUST have accessory.

By Cargo Screen, I assume you mean the Cover? It too is very useful and a MUST have in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
ifeldman said:
I use my cargo net a lot, but I have one problem with it. The clips used to attached the net are very hard to open. I plan to add some easy open clips like a caribean (sp?).
Gosh, I love this site! Great idea, ifeldman! I haven't used mine a lot, just because of the wrastling it takes to get it into position - I'll have to try this out!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
ghost said:

Gosh, I love this site! Great idea, ifeldman! I haven't used mine a lot, just because of the wrastling it takes to get it into position - I'll have to try this out!
Initially I was fighting it t get it into place, but after you figure the concept it is very easy to install. If your fighting to stretch it into place your not doing it right. Take it from me, I was fighting alot initially!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
The cargo net is a lifesaver when going to pick up all the flowers for the garden also - had several big bags of fertilizer leaned up against it and our driveway is uphill. Just had to open the hatch and pull them right out with no mess (except on my nice all weather cargo tray).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts