Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a cargo cover for my 2018 MDX, first of all the installation takes way too much time and effort for a simple interior trim piece (drilling holes into the side walls, really?) and the plastic trim pieces are very hard to remove. Anyhow, managed to install it quite well but the damn thing rattles like a mofo. especially the part that attaches to the second row. Already re-seated and made sure that everything is installed tight, so is this the best it's gonna get? If so I am inclined to put it in storage and put the trim pieces I worked so hard to remove with care, back in :mad:

Any thoughts to make it better before I totally give up? Really bad design choice IMHO.

The only reason I got it is cause a couple of friends had cars broken into recently while parked so this seemed like a good accessory to add but in hindsight it's prolly too much hassle to have signed up for.

On the bright side , the front hood clear bra I installed a couple of weeks back is now almost bubble free so that was a good call.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just installed a cargo cover for my 2018 MDX, first of all the installation takes way too much time and effort for a simple interior trim piece (drilling holes into the side walls, really?) and the plastic trim pieces are very hard to remove. Anyhow, managed to install it quite well but the damn thing rattles like a mofo. especially the part that attaches to the second row. Already re-seated and made sure that everything is installed tight, so is this the best it's gonna get? If so I am inclined to put it in storage and put the trim pieces I worked so hard to remove with care, back in :mad:

Any thoughts to make it better before I totally give up? Really bad design choice IMHO.

The only reason I got it is cause a couple of friends had cars broken into recently while parked so this seemed like a good accessory to add but in hindsight it's prolly too much hassle to have signed up for.

On the bright side , the front hood clear bra I installed a couple of weeks back is now almost bubble free so that was a good call.
My 2017 does the same thing. Mine was dealer installed. It rattles like crazy. I just ignore it because nothing seems can help. After a year or so, it seems that the rattle is gone. I almost forgot until reading your post. I am not sure if I am being conditioned or the rattle actually is gone. To be honest, my 2006 MDX has much better build quality. The new cargo cover is the exact same one as the 2000 CR-V which I also owned. I hate this type of cargo cover. The most annoying part is that there is no room to store the cover when you need to open the 3rd seats. Extremely inconvenience!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, helps to know getting it installed by the dealer would have been no better except may be another 150 or 200 out of pocket for the labor. For now, I am thinking of just using the back part of the cover and not the part that clasps to the second row headrests as that seems to be the root cause of the rattles.Should just uninstall it but guess just hurts my ego to admit that I wasted 2 hours installing and troubleshooting it for naught.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks, helps to know getting it installed by the dealer would have been no better except may be another 150 or 200 out of pocket for the labor. For now, I am thinking of just using the back part of the cover and not the part that clasps to the second row headrests as that seems to be the root cause of the rattles.Should just uninstall it but guess just hurts my ego to admit that I wasted 2 hours installing and troubleshooting it for naught.
Interesting, mine is the back part rattles. You can see some white dust left on the inside of the hatch (the cover rub against the hatch). Regarding to the seat back portions, try to spread the 2 plastic clamps apart as far as you can before attaching to the head rest. This should eliminate the rattles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting, mine is the back part rattles. You can see some white dust left on the inside of the hatch (the cover rub against the hatch). Regarding to the seat back portions, try to spread the 2 plastic clamps apart as far as you can before attaching to the head rest. This should eliminate the rattles.
Not sure I follow, the clamps are going to always be at the same distance since they attach to the headrest posts.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
If you decide to forego the cover - I've found that a darker colored blanket works very well for hiding any cargo since it's hard to see anything through the rear tinted windows with the darker blanket covering whatever's back there. It also can just lay in the cargo area and protect the carpet or be folded up and stashed in a corner if desired. It can also do double duty as a beach or picnic blanket. IMO it's much less hassle to use than the cargo covers (which I've had on some other vehicles) and more flexible (literally) as well in being able to cover items that would be taller than could be covered by the official cargo covers. And of course - it's cheap...and requires no installation...and doesn't rattle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Inclined to keep it part way right now as long as the back piece does not rattle, still has some value since it's the height of most grocery bags and prevents them from sliding around in the back but yes really poor design by Acura and the installation procedure seems to be designed specifically to help dealerships make extra $$$.

·
Registered
740 Posts
maybe some foam tape from HomeDepot or Lowes might hjelp? I know that Acura is using it in the doors to stop rattles due to loose windows. Maybe the dealer will have something approved for the problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered some felt tape seeing as that may be useful in general. May try to put in the top and bottom of the flap recess where the cover (particularly the front part that snaps into the headrests) goes into the bar to prevent up and down motion but not too optimistic of the outcome here.

·
Registered
417 Posts
cover

I guess I'm lucky, as my cover has never rattled. It was dealer-installed on my 17 at the time of purchase. I do notice the car seems quieter with cover deployed versus rolled up. But I have an Advance, and that opening between the 2 captains' chairs can admit some road noise from the rear, The cover mitigates the noise noticeably. I would MUCH rather have had a bench back there, but only way to get that with Advance is to buy the $2k rear seat entertainment - no thanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess I'm lucky, as my cover has never rattled. It was dealer-installed on my 17 at the time of purchase. I do notice the car seems quieter with cover deployed versus rolled up. But I have an Advance, and that opening between the 2 captains' chairs can admit some road noise from the rear, The cover mitigates the noise noticeably. I would MUCH rather have had a bench back there, but only way to get that with Advance is to buy the $2k rear seat entertainment - no thanks.
The rattle happens over bumps and I'd bet that yours would rattle as well since the spring loaded front part that ties to the headrests vibrates at the slightest motion and rattles over bumps very easily, unless your dealer put felt in there to mitigate it somewhat. Mine is a 2018 advance and I do not see how the cover would mitigate road noise since it's just a piece of plastic and the opening between the second row center console and the rear still remains.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks everyone for your thread postings re: cargo covers on 2017/2018 MDX. i just got my first MDX (a 2018 w/Advance) last week. i asked the salesman to throw in (gratis) all weather floor mats and cargo cover. he told me he would throw in the floor mats and even offered a cargo tray , but that the cargo cover is just too much of hassle. so i looked online and saw the dealer price for a cargo cover is $289, then i looked at alternative sellers and saw them selling for $202 (amazon) or $155 (e-bay) and was about to push the button to order one, but decided to look up cargo cover "install" which lead me to these great posts here. so thanks to everyones comments, i will NOT be ordering or even entertaining the idea to bother with this accessory. i will just let the limo tint i had installed on the rear side windows, rear passenger windows and lift gate glass be my cargo cover for the next 3 years until my lease runs out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.