Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one bothered by the huge gap between the cargo cover and the second row seatbacks? Am I being stupid somehow?

I like the cargo cover, despite the design failings with the catch labyrinth, but it seems much less useful with the ~4" gap there.

Has anyone else been bothered by this? Found a solution?

Thanks in advance,
Richard

·
Registered
285 Posts
i think the gap is normal, it allows you to change the seatback positions... if it's too close to the second row seatback, you may not be able to adjust the seatback positions as freely as you wish...

just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
285 Posts
i do have another question kind of related... when i installed the cargo cover, i had to push it into the position, and that action left some scratches on the side wall... did i do something wrong here? any suggestion on how to 'remove' those scratches?

thanks...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree...

I was also disappointed by the pretty large gap using the cargo cover. It defeats the purpose to some extent...

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
The gap bothers me not. The 2nd row seatbacks do recline a bit (as do the 3rd), so that the gap is reduced to 1 1/2" or so. But even with the un-reclined gap, how much can you see when looking in from the outside? :8:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Installing/Removing Cargo Cover

jj_mdx,

The cargo cover is spring loaded (held in place by spring loaded end caps). If you don't compress the spring during install, the end caps scrape against the quarter panel trim (quarter panel trim provides the compression as you slide it into place). I suspect that you failed to manually compress the spring loaded end caps and allowed the end caps to scrape against the quarter panel trim. This scraping is what I suspect resulted in the scratches.

I don't have a clue how you can remove the scratches at this point short of replacing the quarter panel trim.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Gap Between 2nd Seat and Cargo Cover

If the gap bothers you, why not simply recline the 2nd seat seatback somewhat. The further you recline the seatback, the closer the seatback will be to the Cargo Cover Tube and the smaller the gap.

As mentioned earlier, if there was no gap, we wouldn't be able to recline the 2nd seat seatback.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Gap Between 2nd Seat and Cargo Cover

srpbep said:
If the gap bothers you, why not simply recline the 2nd seat seatback somewhat.
Because I have a child seat installed in the middle seat of the 2nd row, and need the seatback upright for mounting that.

As others have said, the gap defeats part of the purpose of the cargo cover, IMHO. Anyone thought about a filler for that? Seems like a soft "flap" attached to the back of the cover would allow seat reclining AND cover the hole...

Richard

·
Registered
616 Posts
Re: Re: Gap Between 2nd Seat and Cargo Cover

solomon said:

As others have said, the gap defeats part of the purpose of the cargo cover, IMHO. Anyone thought about a filler for that? Seems like a soft "flap" attached to the back of the cover would allow seat reclining AND cover the hole...

Richard
FWIW, the RX300's rear cargo cover has flexible "flaps" that attach to the base of the headrests of the 2nd row to cover that gap (it's seats move fore/aft as well as recline so maybe they thought they needed it more).

Just out of curiosity, have they changed the level of tint on the windows in the cargo area and rear hatch? I honestly don't see the need for a cargo cover on our 2001 MDX - I can barely see into the cargo area under most lighting conditions anyway.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Re: Re: Gap Between 2nd Seat and Cargo Cover

donsev said:

FWIW, the RX300's rear cargo cover has flexible "flaps" that attach to the base of the headrests of the 2nd row to cover that gap (it's seats move fore/aft as well as recline so maybe they thought they needed it more).
Thanks for the tip, I'll check out the Lexus site, perhaps I can adapt that system to the MDX.

Just out of curiosity, have they changed the level of tint on the windows in the cargo area and rear hatch? I honestly don't see the need for a cargo cover on our 2001 MDX - I can barely see into the cargo area under most lighting conditions anyway.
I don't know. I checked this morning as I left and I can easily see through the rearmost window into the "gap" with the MDX sitting in our garage....

Richard

·
Registered
747 Posts
Richard,

I'm with you on this one--regardless of how well you can see into the rear of the X, I think it's a simple addition that would've been cheap to add to the accesory that Acura/Honda just didn't splurge for. Dunno why. My Audi (with adjustable seats) cover has a flap that covers that area, but then the Audi cover is easier to lock into place and has a nice integrated handle that 'dissapears' into the cover. Sounds like the Toyota boys thought about this when they designed for the RX...

Rob :31:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts