Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 2015 MDX Advanced, really like the car, but factory roof racks seem to be a flaw. I have read various posts regarding the cargo boxes, but only see very limited information on what actually fits without interfering with fin or tailgate. I have visited the various manufacturers websites, and the below models are showing a fit using the factory racks, but doubtful the larger capacities actually do fit. If anyone out there has confirmation of the largest capacity cargo box that fits without interference, please advise.

Thule Hyper XL(17cuft)
Thule Force Alpine (12cuft) - not large enough for my needs
Thule Force L (16cuft)
Thule Motion XT L (16cuft)- this is not listed on mfg. site as a fit, but read in forum it fits with some foam on back rack, any other confirms?
Yakima Showcase 20 (20cuft)
Yakima Skybox 16 (16cuft)
Yakima Skybox 18 (18cuft)
Yakima Skybox 21 (21cuft)

Thanks,
VAGator

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I assume the lack of response to this question means that most owners do not use a cargo box. If there is anyone out there that uses a cargo box with a capacity of 16cuft or higher, please let me know the mfg/model, actively pursuing the purchase of one soon. I will post my findings once installed, just would like some insight prior since I need to travel to a place like REI to test while onsite.

Thanks,
VAGator

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you need something that goes on the roof - and it seems this way as this is the only type of option you have listed - then I have nothing to add.

But if you just need storage capacity on the go, I would tell you that I have the hitch-mounted Stowaway 2 Max box. We love it, and have found no problems with it, other than that it blocks the backup camera. It effortlessly swings out of the way of the hatch when fully loaded, there is no wind noise, it doesn’t affect fuel economy, it loads and unloads like a dream, it is easy to attach and remove from the vehicle. Did I mention that we love it? I never even considered a hitch mounted box until I read about the concerns and questions that people were having with the fitment of roof mounted boxes on this particular vehicle, and I realized that we don’t need the form factor of a roof mounted box; we just need extra space to store stuff. If this might satisfy your needs and you don’t have a hitch, you can get an aftermarket one with a wiring harness for less than $300 for the parts, factory hitch with aftermarket harness will run a bit over $500 - owner installation is a one hour no brainer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, unfortunately I have the factory roof racks, so looking for confirmation of the largest size that fits without interference. Hitch mounted stowaway is a nice alternative, but like the backup camera, so not sure this is an option for us. Anyone else confirm a larger size cargo box (>16cuft) on the factory racks?

VAGator

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After extensive research, it seems the Thule Hyper XL is a confirmed fit on the 3rd gen factory racks. I have also read the Thule Force L cargo box would fit, but no actual confirmation that I can find, the price difference between these 2 boxes is well over $400, so preference would be to use the cheaper Thule Force L. Anyone out there confirmed the fit on a 3rd gen with factory racks using the Thule Force L cargo box? If no confirmation, next step would be to drive 2-1/2hrs to closest REI and physically test the fit, trying to avoid this if at all possible.

Thanks,
VAGator

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reaching out again to see if anyone has had success with mounting the Thule Force L cargo box on the Gen3 factory racks, please let me know. If any larger carrier is confirmed, would also like to know this as well.

Thanks,
VAGAtor

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just thought I would post pics of the cargo box which I leveraged thanks to member "lookdad4x". Per his recommendations, I purchased the Thule Motion XT L (16cuft) today from REI. As "lookdad4x" noted, I added a Dakine Aero Pad on the rear factory rack, this is required in order to clear the fin. Due to this pad, the rear clamps on the cargo box are somewhat strained and the carrier is partially bent when tightened, but I do not foresee any issue moving forward since these components are very robust. I chose the Thule Motion XT L due to durability of the lid, lock mechanism enhancements and overall look. Not the cheapest, but currently REI is offering 20% off Thule and Yakima cargo boxes. I did not try the Thule Force L, but this one is actually a confirmed fit on the Thule site, but I have my reservations whether it would clear the open tailgate. As shown in the pictures attached, the Motion XT L just does clear the tailgate, again as "lookdad4x" stated. Drove through rain on the way home, inside bone dry. Minimal wind noise, I would say fairly typical with all carriers. Overall happy with purchase, will advise if anything surfaces, although I do not use a carrier that often.

Thanks,
VAGator

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just thought I would post pics of the cargo box which I leveraged thanks to member "lookdad4x". Per his recommendations, I purchased the Thule Motion XT L (16cuft) today from REI. As "lookdad4x" noted, I added a Dakine Aero Pad on the rear factory rack, this is required in order to clear the fin. Due to this pad, the rear clamps on the cargo box are somewhat strained and the carrier is partially bent when tightened, but I do not foresee any issue moving forward since these components are very robust. I chose the Thule Motion XT L due to durability of the lid, lock mechanism enhancements and overall look. Not the cheapest, but currently REI is offering 20% off Thule and Yakima cargo boxes. I did not try the Thule Force L, but this one is actually a confirmed fit on the Thule site, but I have my reservations whether it would clear the open tailgate. As shown in the pictures attached, the Motion XT L just does clear the tailgate, again as "lookdad4x" stated. Drove through rain on the way home, inside bone dry. Minimal wind noise, I would say fairly typical with all carriers. Overall happy with purchase, will advise if anything surfaces, although I do not use a carrier that often.

Thanks,
VAGator

Hi VAGator,

I've been looking all over the internet trying to find information regarding Thule boxes and if they can fit 3rd generation MDX factory crossbars without interfering with the hatch door when open. Your forum has been very helpful. May I ask how have the Dakine pad has worked out in the past months? You mentioned clamp tension, but has there been anything else that you noticed? Would you recommend a longer pad the length of the box for better support? Any advice would be appreciated!

Daniel

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks,
VAGator

Thank you VAGator! I am searching online for the ame quandary and see the same dearth of info. Thanks to you, I have an option!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I run a Thule Force L on a 2017 with OEM rails and crossbars. Fantastic box! Purchase from REI.

This will clear the liftgate if the box is positioned as far forward as it will go. Clearance is minimal. 1/4" maybe.

This box will not clear the telecom fin on this year model. I cut up an old rubber mouse pad (about 1/2" uncompressed) and place those on top of the rear crossbar to clear the fin. I'd really like to 3D print something more custom.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I run a Thule Force L on a 2017 with OEM rails and crossbars. Fantastic box! Purchase from REI.

This will clear the liftgate if the box is positioned as far forward as it will go. Clearance is minimal. 1/4" maybe.

This box will not clear the telecom fin on this year model. I cut up an old rubber mouse pad (about 1/2" uncompressed) and place those on top of the rear crossbar to clear the fin. I'd really like to 3D print something more custom.
Thule also says the Force XT XL (18 cu ft) fits the MDX, but it's longer than your L (16 cu ft) box.

XL - 82.75" long
L - 74.75" long

Does your 1/4" clearance to the liftgate mean in actuality there's no way the XL would fit? The pictures certainly make it look like the XL has more extension behind the rear clamp area.

Thanks,
Keith

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thule also says the Force XT XL (18 cu ft) fits the MDX, but it's longer than your L (16 cu ft) box.

XL - 82.75" long
L - 74.75" long

Does your 1/4" clearance to the liftgate mean in actuality there's no way the XL would fit? The pictures certainly make it look like the XL has more extension behind the rear clamp area.

Thanks,
Keith

Hi Keith.

My Force L is discontinued, but the Force XT L looks like the newer model of it. Mine is around 74" long and the far-aft position of the rear clamp is about 14-16" from the rear of the box (extremely rough measurements).

I think the XT XL fit will come down to how much is the box extended rear past the rear clamp. Thule might publish some 3-view drawings or something - or their support might help. Just flipping back and forth on their site between the two models, it does look like there is some extra length added aft on the XL.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I knew that the older 15 cu. ft Thule box our extended family has likely wouldn't fit without some massaging on the rear crossbar. I prepared, then, with some neoprene sheet pads I could stack to find the right height that would clear the shark fin but will be able to engage the mounting brackets.

Then came the surprise. It fits fine. It's really not even close to much of anything. See picture below.

Did they update the crossbar design after all the complaints? That part number has been incremented once....

Original - 08L04-TZ5-200
Current - 08L04-TZ5-201

It's a happy surprise for sure. I had my expectations set pretty low.

Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Came to this forum after trying to find a box for my 2014 MDX with OEM Factory installed crossbars and figured I might save some people some time and say..... the Thule Force XT XL does NOT fit correctly. The tailgate won't open with the box mounted on the crossbars. I tried to shift the box as far forward as it will go, but the cutout molding on the box isn't long enough to accommodate the crossbars :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Recently purchased a 2015 MDX Advanced, really like the car, but factory roof racks seem to be a flaw. I have read various posts regarding the cargo boxes, but only see very limited information on what actually fits without interfering with fin or tailgate. I have visited the various manufacturers websites, and the below models are showing a fit using the factory racks, but doubtful the larger capacities actually do fit. If anyone out there has confirmation of the largest capacity cargo box that fits without interference, please advise.

Thule Hyper XL(17cuft)
Thule Force Alpine (12cuft) - not large enough for my needs
Thule Force L (16cuft)
Thule Motion XT L (16cuft)- this is not listed on mfg. site as a fit, but read in forum it fits with some foam on back rack, any other confirms?
Yakima Showcase 20 (20cuft)
Yakima Skybox 16 (16cuft)
Yakima Skybox 18 (18cuft)
Yakima Skybox 21 (21cuft)

Thanks,
VAGator

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ihave purchased two boxes, one 90 inch long and now 82 inch long Thule force and non of them fit, its so frustrating how they install the cross bars at the rear of the car and i cant adjust them. i have a 2018 MDX

1 - 20 of 26 Posts