·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
What a Hoot! Thanks for the link.

I suggested he use a chainsaw, he mentioned that he was from NYC (I hadn't noticed), had no need for chainsaw, didn't have one, would be in the locked garage if he did have one, and if his neighbor had one he would move.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Wow, and to think, he could have bought an MDX ... scary ... MDX has lots of buttons and twisty things and handles and door locks

·
Registered
116 Posts
When I first saw it I couldn't stop laughing and thought it was more like a joke. However, after reading onto the replies from others seriously trying to help, I could just say it's reall the beauty of these message boards. :)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
wahahaha.. poor guy, can't open its garage door.

one day, my neighbor's garage door open unit [somehow] learn my remote signal while they were out for vacation. whenever I open or close my garage door with remote, theirs will responsed too. SCARY~~~ :rolleyes:

·
Registered
747 Posts
LOL--good link Worm.

BTW, a co-worker of mine clued me into a keypad you can put outside your garage that you just program and you can then open the garage from the outside w/o a remote--good idea, eh? I think it's a sears product...

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Robyjo said:
LOL--good link Worm.

BTW, a co-worker of mine clued me into a keypad you can put outside your garage that you just program and you can then open the garage from the outside w/o a remote--good idea, eh? I think it's a sears product...
Actually many brands of garage opener has keypad. You can find it at sears or home depots.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yup, I'm sure you're right JTM, but this keypad is an aftermarket add-on that will work with any garage door opener, regardless of brand. I'm thinking about picking one up...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Vault

He apparently has a vault style garage. This is where there is only 1 door, the garage door.

We had a sectional door installed at our house. When the power went out one day and we had to get to work we used the release to allow manual operation of the garage door. How this works is there is a key slot towards the top center of the outside of the door, you insert your key, twist it, a handle releases, you pull on the handle, and voila the release mechanism releases the hinge from the opener. Then you bend down, put your hands under the door and lift it up.

I wonder if he has a window on his garage. Perhaps he has a window or boarded up window that he can use to get in.

For those of you thinking of installing a keypad. Be careful! Like us, many criminals can remove the keypad and cross the 2 wires to activate the door. If you go with this method I suggest 1 way screws.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I can't post over there without registering so can someone give him this advice...

His garage door opener seems to be one of the old Sears style ones they made before the Craftsman brand. If that is the case, he just needs to put some muscle into pulling the door open.

I used to do this as a kid to get into my house when I forgot my keys. The garage opener would let me get the door open enough for me to crawl under and into the garage. Now with these new garage door openers, they are much more solid and I can't do that trick anymore.

This guy should just force that garage door open enough to get in, pull the lever, and order a new garage door opener to replace this out-of-date unit.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Since I just installed our garage door opener I could probably have helped the guy, but it wasn't worth registering for. I guess I'm just not that much of a humanitarian.

I can't believe people were advising him to use the "manual release" inside the garage. He's locked out people! OTOH, if he is able to get in the garage and he is so stupid that he can't figure out that big rope hanging down with the red handle is an emergency release then he's too stupid to drive anyway and we are all better off with all his cars locked in garages. :D

Side Note: All modern openers come with a manual release cable that hangs outside of the wall on garages that only have one entry and exit point (such as I'm assuming his has) and it is for just this type of occurence. If his door was installed professionally then there is a very good chance this cable is out there somewhere. If anyone who is registered wants to clue him in, feel free.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
bareyb,

Have you read the posts? If there is a lock, someone would have to point it out to him. Then he would ask YOU where the key was. If he was lucky, it would be IN the garage hanging on a nail. More likely, he'd explain how he had some extra keys when he bought the house so he simply threw them away.

Nope, the best bet is to tell him to call in a crane to lift the garage up so he can get the car out.

I am sorry, really shouldn't rag on the poor guy but golly, ........

Wouldn't it be a gas if we later learn that this is a car port with a door on the front?

·
Registered
238 Posts
srpbep said:
bareyb,

Have you read the posts? If there is a lock, someone would have to point it out to him. Then he would ask YOU where the key was. If he was lucky, it would be IN the garage hanging on a nail. More likely, he'd explain how he had some extra keys when he bought the house so he simply threw them away.

Nope, the best bet is to tell him to call in a crane to lift the garage up so he can get the car out.

I am sorry, really shouldn't rag on the poor guy but golly, ........

Wouldn't it be a gas if we later learn that this is a car port with a door on the front?
LOL! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts