Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellow MDXers,

We just bought a new 2002 Red Rock MDX and we are just totally satisfied with it. We are getting ready to take it on a 9 hour trip to the beach and inquired about purchasing a car top carrier at our local Acura dealer only to find out they are not available.

So does anyone have any helpful advice as to what type of carrier you are using, where did you purchase it, and any pros and cons to the carrier?

Thanks a bunch,
BKM

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I used a cargo bag (15 cubic feet I think) purchased from Walmart (about $30) to transport stuff (numerous small boxes) on the roof all the way from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. I placed a cotton towel under the cargo bag to prevent scratching the paint (this worked) since the bag sits on the roof between the roof racks. This cargo bag has straps that go over it and attach to the roof racks to secure it in place.

It really depends on just what you want to transport as to which type of car top carrier you need.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Years ago I had one of those plastic boxes that sit on top of the vehicle with straps that hook to the top of the doors. I don't know what's available now, but that was the most convenient thing I ever put on the top of my minivan - the only problem was storage, but I used the carrier mostly for camping, so I stored my camping stuff in it when I wasn't using it on the van. I'd check with Sears to see if their carrier would work. The nice thing about the plastic carriers is that they are 100% water proof and quite durable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts