and once R to D

R to D was on a hill,
car facing toward the downhill

normal?
what might be the problem?????

·
Registered
83 Posts
Did you ever figure out what was the cause of the stalling problem? I have an 03 MDX that periodically stalls. Sometimes when backing up, but also sometimes moving from a stop.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Has the battery gone dead recently? May need to simply do an idle relearn.

Disconnect the battery for a few minutes. Reconnect it. Start the engine with all accessories off. So no A/C, radio, lights, nothing. Let it just idle for at least 15 minutes or until the radiator fans have run and shut off twice. Done.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Neither re-learning idle (as suggested) nor replacing the EGR Valve fixed my problem. My 03 X still dies when...
1) Started cold (left sitting for 6-8 hours)
2) Not left idling to warm it up at least 5 minutes
3) When put in drive.

Seems to idle okay. OBD-II codes keep showing "Engine Misfire" errors. Not sure if this is related. Already changes out the plugs. VTM-4 lights comes on and goes off periodically.

Bringing it to the Acura dealer on Thursday night, for troubleshooting Friday morning...unless someone has more suggestions for me for this weekend. :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
arnel_lim said:
Neither re-learning idle (as suggested) nor replacing the EGR Valve fixed my problem. My 03 X still dies when...
1) Started cold (left sitting for 6-8 hours)
2) Not left idling to warm it up at least 5 minutes
3) When put in drive.

Seems to idle okay. OBD-II codes keep showing "Engine Misfire" errors. Not sure if this is related. Already changes out the plugs. VTM-4 lights comes on and goes off periodically.

Bringing it to the Acura dealer on Thursday night, for troubleshooting Friday morning...unless someone has more suggestions for me for this weekend. :)
Did they clean the ports with the EGR valve replacement? Those two really should go hand in hand. I think that is the code it may be throwing you for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You guys with the cold stall problem are most likely experiencing a fuel related concern. I am an Acura technician (at dealer) with 14 years behind me, and have seen more problems in the last year with bad fuel than ever before. Since changing from MTBE to Ethanol blends, gas stations have had a hard time keeping water out of their fuel (since water will absorb into the Ethanol in the RFG gas). Most typically, 04-Up TL and 02-Up MDX models have been the most problematic. They do not have fuel returns to the tank, so cold morning starts run through the heavily water saturated fuel that settles to the bottom of the tank by the fuel pump pickup screen. The result is typically a rough idle for the first few seconds at startup but extreme cases can display stalling and random multiple misfire codes being displayed (P0300-P0306), with the resulting VTM-4 light illumination. Since gas companies are now prohibited from using MTBE for their oxygenation blends, they are forced to use Ethanol year-round instead of the previous winter only usage. Ethanol is particularly problematic in the summer, expect worse mileage and occasional driveability problems. My advice is to make sure to only frequent very busy gas stations that always need to replenish tanks. Another interesting side note, as gas prices go higher people tend to care less about buying Premium octane that their vehicle may require. As a result, those stations see that Premium fuel sit in the tanks longer-picking up ground water and moisture from the atmosphere. So sometimes, buying a more expensive fuel gets you a lower quality fill-up. Sorry so long, hope this helps a bit! Let me know if you have any questions!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the post. I'm scheduled to bring my MDX in to the dealer on Friday (drop off Thursday night) so they can reproduce the problem. If you're correct, then what's the dealer's solution? Also, if this is widespread, is there some information I can tell them to reference? Shouldn't they already know about it?

Now I'm afraid I'm going to drop it off, and they're going to charge up the wazoo for diagnostics, change a bunch of parts that don't need to be changed, and the problem will still exist! I'm bringing it to Los Gatos Acura in Los Gatos, CA. ...you don't happen to work there do you? :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unfortunately there is no fix on the horizon from American Honda. They only official thing they have release was a while back, and included a TEST for technicians to determine the mere PRESENCE of ethanol in the fuel (as a problem no less), now it is standard issue in all gas....I will post the ServiceNews here. There is little they can do short of some slight PCM programming tweaks on cold starts that MAY enhance cold start driveability. If your problem most occurs first or first few starts in the morning, you are virtually guaranteed to have a fuel volatility issue. If yours sets a MIL, then it is definately one of the more severe (1 in 20) cases. The only remedy for this is to :
1. Run down as much gas in your tank as possible, get the low fuel light on if possible.
2. Don't go to your regular gas station, find another BUSY station that is 2 pennies cheaper than the other guy across the street. Remember: the station with 2 cents cheaper gas turns their tanks over 4 TIMES FASTER than the competition!!!
Watch the gas station lots when it rains. If there is standing water on the concrete, there is likely water in the tanks.
3. Fill up with 89 or lower octane (trust me, it'll be OK) for the next fill up or two. This will help ensure a fresher gas, and actually contains less additives which helps absorb any remaining water in your tank
4. Try to find RXP brand fuel additive and add it to a full tank. It is in a small red bottle at parts stores.

I have had tremendous success with this procedure, and have been recommending it to my customers over the last year with great feedback!

It may be worth trying this before you bring it to your dealer. Many times we cannot find a hard fault to repair, and if you are out of warranty you are likely going to leave a little poorer without much to show for it. If this works for you, feel free to repost this to a general forum. It seems to be a common problem and I won't be able to address it every time it comes up.

By the way, I'm in N. Texas, sorry no help there! ;)

Let me know how it goes!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK, here's the text, verbatim from an Acura Service News a few years back:
////////////////////////
Fuel Sobriety Test
You suspect a certain station is selling gasoline
that has alcohol added to it. Alcohol doesn’t make
gasoline look any different, so how can you tell?
There’s a simple yet effective test that can be done
in your shop (as long as it’s done in a well-ventilated
area that’s clear of sparks, flames, lit cigarettes, etc.).
The test is based on the following facts:
• Alcohol blends with gasoline.
• Alcohol blends better with water than with
gasoline.
• Water and gasoline don’t mix.
• When alcohol, water and gasoline are mixed
together, the alcohol will combine with the water,
and the alcohol and water solution will separate
from the gasoline.
For the test you’ll need an 8 oz. graduated
container. Fill the container to the 1.5 oz. mark with
water. (Be sure to mark the exact water level.) Add
test fuel up to the 8 oz. mark, cap the container and
then shake it vigorously.
Place the container upright on the bench and wait
a few minutes. If there is no alcohol in the gasoline,
the gasoline/water separation line will be at the exact
level you marked. If there is alcohol in the gasoline,
it will combine with the water and the gasoline/water
separation line will be ABOVE the level you marked.
////////////////////
Hmm.....It seems what used to be a problem to look for is now a "feature" of reformulated gasoline.....Oh the problems we hate to admit we're now part of.....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, I tried the gas thing, and fuel injection cleaner. This didn't solve my problem.

I dropped of the car at the dealer (Los Gatos Acura) last night, and they tell me the stalling is from sticky valves, and that I need a valve adjustment. I'm leary, but I'm also frustrated, so gave the $539 go-ahead..... I have 83K on it, so I'm guessing a valve adjustment right now isn't too bad. ...but if that doesn't take care of the stalling I'm gonna have a @#1T fit.

They also wanted $541 to replace my starter which was making some funny noises, which I'm holding up on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dealer charged me $170 to diagnose problem on top of the $540 for the valve adjustment. They also said they fixed a loose ground wire.

2 days and 100+ miles later the stalling problem appears completely gone, and CEL light is *still* off. Car feels like it runs much better. I filled up and went 55+ miles (highway) and the trip computer is showing avg gas consumption of 22.3MPG. That's a far cry from what I'm used to seeing...normally 16.5MPG...under the same conditions.

So, was the $710 worth it? Well, my wife's not complaining about it anymore, I got a free cup of Starbucks coffee along with a hot chocolate for my 8 year old, my mileage appears to have improved tremendously, and I got a free car wash and vacuum. I'm irked about the extra $170 they never mentioned over the phone, but all-in-all I think I'm okay with the results.

·
Registered
28 Posts
There are various reasons of a Car getting stalled down:
  • A lot of Load: Car running on a lot of load might be an essential cause of stall down.
  • Fuel Injection: There are numerous parts responsible for Car stalls, key part is fuel injectors or carburettors, check if they have any issues with it or they are sending lean blend to the car engine, an appropriate overhaul and cleaning can fix the issue.
  • Dirt in the fuel, might be clogging the injectors
Now, you need to find a good mechanic for your car.

Hope this helps!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
tofikcharoliya
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing