Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. New guy here. Bought a used 2016 with 10k miles, non-cpo.

The machine drives fine but one thing I noticed is the shift after putting car in park (without parking brake, i never use parking brake unless on steep in/decline). It is a lot more than anything else I've driven before (crv, various sedans small and big, even minivan). Wondering if this is normal for this model or if something is wrong. I also noticed when I put or take out heavier things in the car like a child, the car rocks for/backward.

i tried just pushing the car forward some and i heard a small click from the front of the car.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Hi. New guy here. Bought a used 2016 with 10k miles, non-cpo.

The machine drives fine but one thing I noticed is the shift after putting car in park (without parking brake, i never use parking brake unless on steep in/decline). It is a lot more than anything else I've driven before (crv, various sedans small and big, even minivan). Wondering if this is normal for this model or if something is wrong. I also noticed when I put or take out heavier things in the car like a child, the car rocks for/backward.

i tried just pushing the car forward some and i heard a small click from the front of the car.
I guess I don't know what you are talking about. Do you mean the movement after you take your foot off the brake? Every car moves a bit.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I think he's referring to the small back and forward movement from the car while in park? like it is excessive?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
As I said. All cars do that. A couple of inches would be ok.
And as I said, He feels EXCESSIVE movement as not in a couple of inches...

To OP I don't have a 3rd Gen but my 2nd Gen does not move since I always engage the parking E-brake, You should try and engage it too at all times when parking.

To everyone even if you have SH-AWD cars remember than when the car is off there is no engagement with the rear diff and the prop shaft.. In park only the front wheels are locked in FWD Operation, the rear wheels will not hold the vehicle. If you engage the E-Brake the rear wheels will hold the vehicle with the front wheels, You can use the E-Brake to avoid the horrible CLUNK and POP when you Park in a grade since the park fork will stress on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And as I said, He feels EXCESSIVE movement as not in a couple of inches...

To OP I don't have a 3rd Gen but my 2nd Gen does not move since I always engage the parking E-brake, You should try and engage it too at all times when parking.

To everyone even if you have SH-AWD cars remember than when the car is off there is no engagement with the rear diff and the prop shaft.. In park only the front wheels are locked in FWD Operation, the rear wheels will not hold the vehicle. If you engage the E-Brake the rear wheels will hold the vehicle with the front wheels, You can use the E-Brake to avoid the horrible CLUNK and POP when you Park in a grade since the park fork will stress on it.
OK, i will have to start using the parking brake. This will take a while to get used to as in my over 20 yrs of driving, i've never applied it except for when driving a manual for a few yrs.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
OK, i will have to start using the parking brake. This will take a while to get used to as in my over 20 yrs of driving, i've never applied it except for when driving a manual for a few yrs.
I almost never use the parking brake unless I'm parking on a hill. I have not noticed anything unusual on this car. If it's moving more then an inch or so,there may be a problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have noticed our 2015 FWD moves more than my truck (F-150) after placing it in park. However, I'm not worried there is a problem. 41,000 miles in 2 years and it runs and operates like the day we bought it. And we never use the PB.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.