Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
Car lights, radio, instrument panel, etc. all worked until I tried to start/crank the car, then it seems there was a some small click (not starter trying to turn over, something inside car maybe relay type click?) and all electricity went out, basically car is disabled even electrical items that don't need key (inside lights), nothing. Maybe 30 minutes later, electricity came up again when I inserted car key. Again I start and same result as before all electricity went out, this time around after waiting hours and days car is 100% out of electricity.

Things I did so far:
Put a working battery from other car (same battery as MDX)
Check fuses inside car (I believe it is called relay ignition, I had to remove trim and panel to access it)
Check fuses in engine bay: fuses from fuse box 1 and box 2 (including the main fuse, the one that is held by screw)
Check battery terminals, also removed battery and did continuity test on starter (I am not sure if 100% i did it correctly, I watched some youtube video)

I am planning next to
1) Look at battery positive wire for corrosion (I already did this but maybe more in depth, I read cars have fusible links in this wire but I could not see them, can someone confirm MDX has fusible links and they are multiple wires that I have to connect, solder, heat shrink?) and replace battery negative wire (i think old is good but just in case)
2) Remove ignition switch and see if this is the problem, also anyone has instructions how to do this?

Anyone had similar problem? and what possible solutions?馃檹

Registered
Nobody answered you because I guess this is not an easy one. It might be a parasitic draw on the battery. First fully charge the battery to see whether your car loses battery slowly. There's a good Eric the car guy video on YouTube. Also check out the various posts here on bluetooth hands free link issue.

To explain your situation, there's a tiny bit of battery left to run the minor lights etc. Once you tried to start, it is all gone. So you heard one click and nothing.

If no parasitic draw, still fully charge and be logical. Measure whether you have 12v on starter first. But be careful, don't poke the wrong places.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Nobody answered you because I guess this is not an easy one. It might be a parasitic draw on the battery. First fully charge the battery to see whether your car loses battery slowly. There's a good Eric the car guy video on YouTube. Also check out the various posts here on bluetooth hands free link issue.

To explain your situation, there's a tiny bit of battery left to run the minor lights etc. Once you tried to start, it is all gone. So you heard one click and nothing.

If no parasitic draw, still fully charge and be logical. Measure whether you have 12v on starter first. But be careful, don't poke the wrong places.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Ok thank you for reply, I decided to do simple things before trying to see if it was parasitic draw.
1) I tapped with mallet on metal extension on starter (I read somewhere starter could get stuck)
2) Wiggled and expected (for corrosion or defects) the positive battery cable that (I had the battery and battery metal housing removed)
3) Replaced Negative battery cable, the original to me looked good but just in case

I think 3) is what helped but I am not 100% sure, could be combination of all 3.

Car seem to work now, next few days will tell me if the fix is permanent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts