Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Recently I got rear-ended by an 18 wheeler in my '05 Pilot and come to find out that it is totaled. The car was very reliable and comfortable for the most part. Now that I am searching for a new (used) car, I am thinking about getting a 2014+ MDX. Is there anything I should be watching out for when checking them out? I do not have any experience with Acura's but I have owned both the Honda CRV and the Pilot and they both worked out great.

Hoping to snag one for the 20-25k range.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
My story is about the same as yours- I also had a 2005 Pilot that an idiot driver hit me and totaled! And I'm looking at possibly getting a used MDX also in the same price range. I need AWD and leather, I tow a boat sometimes on weekends. I will watch this thread to see any responses. Where are you looking online to shop for used cars? Have you looked at any local Acura dealership for certified pre owned cars? They probably aren't the best deals but cheaper than new...

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
You just have to decide fwd or sh-awd and what tech level you want. The consensus seems to be the 16 MDX with the new 9AT seems to be a version to shy away from unless the TSB fixes have been applied. I love using this link for Acura Brochures to check out the different models and tech features:
I always try to get an used Acura with some of the 4yr/50,000 mile basic warranty available to fix any issues I find down the road.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Mr. Gold 35! That link of auto brochures is really useful. Well it sucks about the 2016 MDX being a known problem year - I was in fact going to look at a 2016 MDX with AWD this weekend! I looked up Acura MDX TSBs- each year many are issued, and it's not clear if some models or all models are affected by a particular TSB notice/alert. It looks like TSB # 15-054 for that year affects the transmission. So what's the worst thing you heard about the 2016 MDX transmissions and what do owners do? I can't believe Acura would not address a widely known issue that is a pretty core/basic part of an automobile. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
The issue with the 16 MDX transmission is similar "hit or miss" with the issues the 9AT was having with V-6 TLX. Vibration, rough shifting in lower gears, lurching/noise with low speed acceleration, and/or slow to down shift were some of the issues a TSB could fix with a reflash, fluid exchange, or brand new 9AT. Starting with the 17/18 MDX/TLX, owner with newer 9ATs noticed an improvement in smoothness and less issues; but, the TSB issues are still there (just muted). I think Acura made a mechanical change to later 9AT that can't be duplicated on earlier models without a 9AT replacement. I would check out Acurazine treads for TLX and MDX to see what issues folks were having.

The 14/15 MDXs with the 6AT didn't have 9AT issues and the 6AT got 1-2 mpg better; but, a touch slower acceleration because of less gears. My 6AT in my 11 MDX has been trouble-free for +140,000 miles.

I think Acurawatch was optional for base/tech 16 MDX models (standard for 16 MDX Adv and all models of the +17 MDXs). Finding a 16 MDX with Acurawatch might be a nice safety bonus.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ended up purchasing a 2014 Acura MDX with AWD. I will post a new message thread as I have both some observations and questions. Thanks for helping out with my questions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts