Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 MDX's alarm keeps going off randomly. We have had to keep it unlocked to avoid it happening. It's at the dealership now and they said it might be the hood latch? They offered two options $300 parts + 2 hours labor to replace latch? Or think $100 to turn off the alarm system? What are my options? Looks like the latch is $80 online? How hard is it to replace and is this the problem? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I didn't realize the hood had an alarm until I reached into the rolled down driver side window to pop the hood to check the oil a while back.

Have you checked with local car audio/alarm shops? They might be able to disable the hood alarm and add an aftermarket system with motion, remote start, fob alarm, etc... for the same or less price Acura would charge to fix. You wouldn't need the hood alarm if you have a motion alarm for the whole vehicle. The Acura alarm doesn't have motion or glass break sensors; which, makes the alarm more of a loud nuisance for the owner compared to stopping the dumbest thieves.

A lot of Acura owners had "smash and grab", stolen, or found their vehicles on blocks with the cheap factory alarm.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had the same issue with my ?07, and I just disconnected the hood latch sensor! Fixed my problem right away!

Pop the hood, and right under the hood latch there is a connector. Just disconnect that, and your problem is fixed!

·
Registered
2012 MDX Advance
18 Posts
My 2012 MDX just started doing the Phantom alarm this morning. The Service Manager at Acura advised disconnecting the front hood connector. All is quiet again. The front hood sensor is connected to the rear tailgate so the "tailgate open" message will be on your dash even though the tailgate is closed.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
My 2012 MDX just started doing the Phantom alarm this morning. The Service Manager at Acura advised disconnecting the front hood connector. All is quiet again. The front hood sensor is connected to the rear tailgate so the "tailgate open" message will be on your dash even though the tailgate is closed.
What is the root issue though?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 MDX Advance
18 Posts
What is the root issue though?

The front hood sensor is bad. Once disconnected the alarm will not sound if someone tries to pry open your front hood but will work for the rear latch sensor if you get the back hatch door open. SM told me they are both connected and it happens all the time. (y)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Thanks! That's an easy fix

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
The front hood sensor is bad. Once disconnected the alarm will not sound if someone tries to pry open your front hood but will work for the rear latch sensor if you get the back hatch door open. SM told me they are both connected and it happens all the time. (y)
Did the service manager give a estimate of repair or does it look like an easy/hard DYI? Want to see if it worth fixin' when it happens to me on my 11 MDX (just replaced my weak hood struts).

·
Registered
2012 MDX Advance
18 Posts
Did the service manager give a estimate of repair or does it look like an easy/hard DYI? Want to see if it worth fixin' when it happens to me on my 11 MDX (just replaced my weak hood struts).
No estimate. Just unplugged the sensor. Honda's are usually easy to work on as they are straight forward compared to our German rivals. I'm sure it's an easy DIY. (y)

·
Registered
77 Posts
You can try to clean the switch with some contact cleaner if you can get it inside the sealed switch or just replace the hood latch. I don’t remember if the switch is mechanical or proximity, if it’s mechanical try cleaning if not just replace the latch assy. I just had mine off a couple of days ago replacing the radiator and don’t remember what type switch it is.
The aftermarkets are not that expensive but the OE is a little over $200. You have to remove the front bulkhead cover but it’s only 3 bolts and the wire to the hood latch if you want to function. Probably a 30 minute job.
Make sure you mark your current latch with a sharpie so you can line it back up. Loosely attach it and make sure the latch on the hood is centered and retighten your bolts.

·
Registered
2012 MDX Advance
18 Posts
You can try to clean the switch with some contact cleaner if you can get it inside the sealed switch or just replace the hood latch. I don’t remember if the switch is mechanical or proximity, if it’s mechanical try cleaning if not just replace the latch assy. I just had mine off a couple of days ago replacing the radiator and don’t remember what type switch it is.
The aftermarkets are not that expensive but the OE is a little over $200. You have to remove the front bulkhead cover but it’s only 3 bolts and the wire to the hood latch if you want to function. Probably a 30 minute job.
Make sure you mark your current latch with a sharpie so you can line it back up. Loosely attach it and make sure the latch on the hood is centered and retighten your bolts.
Thanks. This MDX looks very easy to work on. Thank you for the tip.(y)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Don’t let it fool you!
Radiator was a pain in the rear to get out and I tried to remove the fans after I removed it and gave up. I wanted to remove them in case I ever had to replace the fan motors.. looks like I’ll be leaving them in place if I ever have to replace them.
I’m not a Honda mechanic but I do have all the proper tools and worked in a shop for a few years when I was younger and it took me a couple of hours to remove it but only 20 minutes to get it back in and buttoned up.
I yelled at it many times.. 🤣🤣🤣
It is easy for the most part just some parts seem virtually impossible to remove even with the proper tools.
Hood latch is super easy though.
Good luck with it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts