Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a wealth of information on our 2002 MDX but cannot find where the dipstick is for the transmission. The oil is on the left of the engine looking at it from the front and is an orange handle. But where is the tranny dipstick?
Thanks in advance and apologies if this is covered elsewhere.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Worse, you're meant to check the level when the transmission is up to operating temp, which means all that stuff around it is nice and hot when you need to reach down there and pull the thing out. I'm sure there are perfectly reasonable engineering reasons why this is so, but often after singing my forearm a bit, I curse the fact that it can't be checked cold, like the oil (it would be so convenient to be able to check all the fluids at the same time under the same conditions).

·
Registered
805 Posts
Worse, you're meant to check the level when the transmission is up to operating temp, which means all that stuff around it is nice and hot when you need to reach down there and pull the thing out. I'm sure there are perfectly reasonable engineering reasons why this is so, but often after singing my forearm a bit, I curse the fact that it can't be checked cold, like the oil (it would be so convenient to be able to check all the fluids at the same time under the same conditions).
Check it hot once, and then check it again when cold. Note the difference and then you can check it cold from then on. No need to get burned. Honda should have shot the engineer who designed that. God knows he could have made the handle a little longer so we don't have to stick our arm all the way down there. But then, Honda probably thinks there is no need for us laymen to check the transmission fluid since it's supposed to be "sealed for life," yeah, right!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts