Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sharing my misery. Accessory belt started burning up on hot night and had to turn off AC. That morning the belt noise was starting to happen. I was late for an inspection so I told the mechanic to check it out. He said it was the belt tensioner. So he swapped it.

I get the X back and NO NOISE!! For at least 3 years we have been dealing with what I thought were loose valves making the J37A sound like a diesel engine. It got so bad this year we were actually going to trade it in. Low and behold the tensioner gets replaced and the X has never been quieter. My wife always said that she thinks something is wrong with the belt but it wasn't a whine so I never listened. It was a cacophony that made us embarrassed to drive around that I chalked it up to 183k miles. Now I drive it around everywhere even though the MPGs suck ass.

I can't believe it. Listen to your wives especially about car noises is the moral of my story, lol. The old tensioner pulley when spun just sound like metal on metal clacking and it started seizing up destroying the accessory belt. So if you engine bay sounds like diesel take a look at the tensioner.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts