Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started 3 days ago. Cannot turn the key to start the ignition. Not a friction problem, more like electronics. Something is preventing the turn, i can finally get it turned after trying for 2 minutes, something finally lets go but what is it? the shifter is in P of course. Wheel can be turned just fine. help..... don't want to get stuck or break something inside when i try to turn it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Just to confirm, the ignition turns from off to acc or run, but stops before it gets to start?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the key doesn't turn one bit. Until many tries, then finally gives, something lets go inside and allows a turn.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Well there is not much to go wrong with the ignition other then that the key is most likely worn or the cylinder itself! You are correct that you should take it easy with the ignition as they are fragile. If you are speaking of your 2003 it is safe to say that probably your key is worn! If the other key works you pretty much have your answer.:) You need to get a key by numbers (Code Key) made at the locksmith or have them come out. The reason being is if key is worn no point cutting it to its present specs so a code key is precise to original specs! Now. if you can pull the key out 1/16 of an inch and gently turn the key and it turns than you know it is the key or the ignition cylinder! I believe the key is more likely at fault as it will not turn easily which is the cheaper of the two parts. if it was the cylinder you would expect it would still turn a slightly worn key?

The only other possibility is that it is dirty and if you spray your key or dip it in wd40 sparingly and insert it a number of times. it may clean it up in that scenario? You could also try compressed air as well. they claim electrical cleaner is ok to spray into cylinder. Not to be confused with brake or Carb cleaner I am sure!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, great suggestion! I will try another key! Has not even crossed my mind, thanks a million!!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
That little piece of advice would have cost you $125.00 at the dealership! Scary thing is they would not have thought of it themselves and would still be scratching their heads as to why a scan tool was able to come up with the suggestion? There jobs are almost obsolete.:)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh my, this forum and Wilsoncc my friend you have saved me potentially hundreds in parts and hours of researching, stress, inability to drive the car, you name it... I put it another key and ignition turns like butter. OMG... That would have never gone through my mind, despite of years fixing cars... Worn key?? Never in my life.

Can't thank you enough

·
Registered
170 Posts
Oh my, this forum and Wilsoncc my friend you have saved me potentially hundreds in parts and hours of researching, stress, inability to drive the car, you name it... I put it another key and ignition turns like butter. OMG... That would have never gone through my mind, despite of years fixing cars... Worn key?? Never in my life.

Can't thank you enough
Do you have a lot of keys hanging off your mdx keys while in the ignition? My Nissan had the same issue few years ago. Was due to the extra weight of the keys and key chain bouncing around while driving that wore the key down.
Yes I agree that this forum is very helpful.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I once had a 1987 Mazda 626 which had an ignition that literally got stuck due to what seemed like extreme friction (lack of needed lubrication etc). But never had anything else like that happen until a week ago. Glad it seems to be resolved. I will know 100% when i start driving it more but it seemed totally gone with the other key (and my key still locked up twice after that).

·
Registered
474 Posts
You should probably purchase a key on ebay and get it cut asap or again go to the locksmith and get the Code key made and just attach it to your key remote.It looks like you have the cheaper key to have cut with your 2003 mdx the transponder must be located in it and not the head of the key so it should be easy I think. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts