Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just wen up to Canada and told me they've got cards up in Canada that can descramble dish signals?

Anyone know anything about this? I'm a Directv subscriber and would be really interested. I was told they were less than $30.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
laborlitigator said:
... I'm a Directv subscriber and would be really interested. ...
laborlitigator,
I'm a Directv subscriber myself. How would you use this card?

·
Registered
429 Posts
So you're asking if there are illegal cards available for DirectTV.. I'm sure there are.. just as there are illegal cable boxes.. but the fines are very heavy and DirectTV in the last week replaced all cards to counter just this problem.

If you need advice on how to steal an MDX instead of buying one.. perhaps we could discuss that too.

Rail

·
Registered
197 Posts
It is definitely illegal in the states, and you would pay considerably more than $30. Do a search on eBay for "hu card" and you'll see that it will cost you about $100 just to get your foot in the door. From there you have to find someone who can program(& keep re-programming) the card for you, or try & do it yourself. Either way, it's a costly undertaking, and a lot more maintenance than a "black-box".

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
DaveI said:
It is definitely illegal in the states, and you would pay considerably more than $30. Do a search on eBay for "hu card" and you'll see that it will cost you about $100 just to get your foot in the door. From there you have to find someone who can program(& keep re-programming) the card for you, or try & do it yourself. Either way, it's a costly undertaking, and a lot more maintenance than a "black-box".
Actually, it's not that difficult. Several "people I know" do this. There are more than one way to fool DirecTV into using a hacked card. One is to flash the card (reprogram it) after each bullet is sent through the system to disable hacked cards. The device that attaches to your PC to allow you to re-write the card's code is about $75. So now you're talking $175. The ROMs to re-write the card are available online IMMEDIATELY after DirecTV sends out the bullet. Is $175 and the time it takes to flash the cards worth it? Up to you.

The other method involves using a second PC as a pass-through to the DirecTV decoder instead of the normal one. I'm not 100% sure what's involved with that but I know it takes considerably more time/computer savvy to execute.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info and the variety of responses!

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DaveI said:
Dave,

I did the search and saw the prices. Is it correct for me to assume that I simply plug this card into the present card or do I have to do something to the card?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Not worth the effort IMHO.

A few years ago black market receivers with the old "H" smart card were being highly sought after. People were paying a lot of money for these illegally altered receivers then DirecTV came up with a fix for this problem. I believe they not only stopped the free programming but also zapped the receivers and made them useless.

That has also been the history with descramble boxes for the big dishes. Made useless after a short amount of time.

Keep in mind that this could be a scam! Generally when you try and get something for nothing (or close to nothing) what you will wind up with is nothing.

Also I believe they (black market cards) may be illegal. Sort of like having a stolen credit card and using it to buy free gas.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I'm not going to get too philosophical...

...but the stolen credit card analogy is a bit over the top.

First, I do not have a "hacked DirectTV". I don't even have a satellite dish.

The whole "copy protection" arena, however, is quite different than stolen credit cards.

In a nutshell, there is TREMENDOUS effort & knowledge required to thwart inadequate copy protection schemes. The individuals who expose the sham of this so-called protection are not themselves stealing anything.

In many ways, folks who expose the flaws in such software are performing a similar feat to tuners who expose the programming the factory burns into the PCM. The factory (especially Acura/Honda), however, does a MUCH better job of maximizing the performance given the constraints they most engineer towards.

The folks who implement the flawed copy protection schemes OFTEN compromise the quality of the 'protected' medium/service.

·
Registered
197 Posts
laborlitigator said:

Dave,

I did the search and saw the prices. Is it correct for me to assume that I simply plug this card into the present card or do I have to do something to the card?

Thanks.
Actually, you would still have do re-program the card as crmsnidol describes. You would probably have to pay a monthly fee to someone who can provide you with the file(s) needed. You then take out your existing card, and replace it with the card that has the pirating software.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
"You mean I can't use a credit card with someone elses name that I found on a seat at the airport?":) I knew someone with the pirated cards and IMHO they are a pain in the a$$? I know they didn't have the computer method of "recharging" and they would have to physically go down to the "chargers" home and get said service done for nominal fees per transaction. Meanwhile, they are left with the dogears on the tv for the kids. There are alot more ways to save money then putting yourself at risk for the sake of a pirated card.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
The days of priating unsophisticated cable systems for a slap on the wrist, are long over.
Ever since the FBI arrested some folks in Bermuda some years ago for illeagal chips for C band satellite recievers the stage has been set.
You might as well deal with drug dealers, and may be for all you know. In these days of greatly heightened security everything is looked at under a microscope especially if it involves transactions crossing national borders.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Funny, how we are all able to afford MDX's, but still try to screw the big corporations, in order to get something for free.

If I got an extra $5 back in change from a purchase, as not to have the cashier have to pay it back out of her own pocket, I'd still say something, but communication theft is very serious stuff.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, anyways we would just be fighting over the remote control anyways.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I remember reading an article in the Wall Street Journal about a year ago about a cable company in New York state that send out letters to every subscriber telling them that they had obtained a list, including the shipping addresses of pirated boxes that had been sold in their area. They were offering a one time amnesty of thirty days for the black box owners to come clean and pay a one time service fee of $1,000. At the end of the thirty day period they would bring charges against all others. Article went on to say that the cable company revealed that they collected $75,000.

All I can say is that I pay approximately $90 per month for Direct TV with TIVO, etc. That totals about $1,080 per year. Hardly enough to even think of stealing. If I ever go down for theft, we're talking 7 or 8 digits, at least!

·
Registered
25 Posts
laborlitigator?
Are you really an attorney? You must know some good criminal attorneys, you'll need one!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Is it theft? shoould I have done something?

Scenario:

Costco line, Sunday afternoon, EXTREMELY crowded/hectic.

Couple ahead of us has the cash register belt FULL of stuff. GIANT poinsettias. Huge boxes of wrapping paper. Food. Gifty type things. Hubby leaves DVD & extra wrapping paper in cart.

The checker's helper pulls the cart around. I am fairly sure the checker did not have a chance to scan the DVD & extra wrapping paper.

I tell my spouse. We talk between us load enough for the checker to here, if she cared...

We hear the total for them come up. Seems VERY low given the quantity of stuff, especially the DVD...

Wife suggests that the "receipt door checker" will probably catch it...

As we go through the doors, the receipt crew is in "cursor glance mode"...

Wife and I strongly suspect the other couple got away with something and hope the "karma train" will pay back sometime...

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Re: Is it theft? shoould I have done something?

renov8r said:
...Wife and I strongly suspect the other couple got away with something and hope the "karma train" will pay back sometime...
Hmm, interesting dilemma. I probably would have done what you did. Ignore it. When in doubt. I always put myself in the other position. If I happen to 'benefit' by an oversight, I would not want anyone to get involved in my situation. My .02 :4:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
A few weeks ago I was at a Taco Bell in the mall and got 2 soft tacos and a drink. The guy gave me back $5 dollars too much in change so I let him know and gave it back to him. Then I realized he overcharged me by about $1.50 for my order and had to wait another 5 mins for the manager to work her magic on the register to credit me back.

Why am I telling you this? I dunno, but it makes me feel better about all the other stuff I do and get away with. ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts