Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all those interested, the following is a link to a thread started by Knightman with minor contributions form yours truly.

It started nasty at first, :( , but developed into an informative thread.

Brief summary based on Knightman's experience (at least my understanding of it)

1. Get the car quickly and for less $$$
2. Believe in Acura's ability to build reliable cars, but also get an extended warranty
3. Be in position to take the car back to Canada if something serious develops (Knightman says that Canadian warranty is still in effect even if the car is registered in US - I have doubts, but he, I guess, knows better at this time)
4. Acura TLC, roadside assistance, etc remain in effect.
5. No Nav, No non-Touring, plus DRLs

Obviously, it would be nice to have some of these "perks" written down by a dealer in the contract just to be "safe".

Here is the link...

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=4019

·
Registered
161 Posts
Anyone who knowingly buys an illegally imported new vehicle, better yet one that costs $40K, is nuts. Some things to think about:

1) You're traveling out of state and have a mechanical problem. Will the out of state dealer accept your "brand" of extended warranty without any out of pocket expenditure?

2) You have no recourse with Acura in the U.S. if you have a serious problem. Imagine if BellTeck had bought a Canadian MDX and then needed to lemon law the car or go to war with Acura U.S. corporate.

3) If your car has a serious mechanical failure, you're path of last resort is to have it repaired in Canada. How are you going to get it there? Can you imagine the hassle and time wasted?

3) Why would any dealer that you didn't purchase the car from have any interest in trying to help you if you have a problem when they know your original purchase was somewhat "shady"?

3) What about resale? Why would anyone buy a questionable vehicle on the used car market at the same price as a legitimate one.

Honda dealers went through a similar situation with "Guam built Honda's" that were illegally imported in the 80's when supplies were short. Those consumers that purchased them lived to regret it. As much as I love my MDX, I'd have bought something else if my only choice was to go "Canadian".

·
Registered
24 Posts
Apparently, if Honda Canada finds out about this importation you could looking at massive fines and jailtime.

This is how I came across my MDX with no wait in August. A guy was buying them and sending them to the US. Hoinda Can found out, Slapped the delaer with $50000 fine and the guy is being charge with export violations.

A word to those trying to shortcut the waits....just wait. Putting up with the hassle of having to go out of the country for warranty work is going to detract majorly from the joy of owning these vehicles.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Honda doesn't want Canadian vehicles imported to the U.S. That's why you now own a new $40K car with no factory warranty or manufacturer support. Is it against U.S. or Canadian law to register a Canadian vehicle in the U.S.? Probably not. Are you screwed if you have any major problems? Most definitely. Would I take the risk you took to save time and/or money? Not in a million years. To each there own...

·
Registered
46 Posts
BarryH, I agree - To each there (sic) own

Yes, I am enjoying spending the $2,500 I saved by buying Canadian.

"Most definitely I would not get manufacture support?" I already have, so I guess that response is wrong too.

Please don't post silly things like it is illegal to import Canadian cars to the U.S. unless you can back it up - which you were not able to do, and you won't be able to do, because it is not correct. Honda, Acura, could care less if you import the vehicle. Why would it bother them?

If I have major problems with my allegedly non-warranted vehicle, I might have to pay for it myself. So what? I am a gambling man, and I like the odds. Besides, I can spend $2,500 and still come out even.

·
Registered
161 Posts
In the 80's, a friend of mine bought a Prelude imported from Guam at the largest Honda dealer in the U.S. (Braman in Miami). In those days, Honda dealers couldn't get enough cars and a number of the larger ones brought cars in from Guam (a U.S. Territory) against the wishes of American Honda. He got a third party warranty and assurances from the dealer of their undying support should anything happen. Two years and 30K miles later, the car's engine blew. The third party warranty company denied his claim and the dealer turned a deaf ear. American Honda wouldn't help because the VIN indicated the car wasn't originally sold in the U.S. (yours wasn’t either – Honda sold the car to the Canadian dealer that your U.S. dealer bought it from). He sued the warranty company and won but they went bankrupt before he could get paid. He was out about $7K plus legal fees.

Here's a post from a fellow Canadian MDX owner in Buffalo:

bblume said on 11/02 -

"MDX...I'm not sure what the letters stand for, but I think it means Money Dump X-treme, at least when dealing with the dealership I bought mine through - dealer name edited by TheWorm.

I've had the vehicle since August of this year (originally a Canadian demo.), and now with just under 20K miles it developed a problem that my Mercury Mountaineer with over 210K has not even come close to. If anyone has knowlege of this problem let me know.

This POS MDX is surging everytime I drive it. It idles fine and runs fine until speeds of 40-50 mph, where the engine surges like I am constantly revving the engine by pressing the gas and releasing it. If I pull over and park, the engine tach goes to 2000 rpm then down to 1000rpm and continues to cycle like that until I have to shut off the engine. This causes alot of clunking of the transmission when I am driving.

The service manager at dealer name edited by TheWorm, seems to be trying to help, but his solution is to live with it until something else breaks because they cannot find the problem. Nearly $40K for a car and I'm told to live with a defect that could possibly surge me into a collision at a light, or possibly break down completely in an area where 2 feet of snow in a day is commonplace.

Does anyone know of a decent service department that really likes to get to the heart of a problem? I have a sneaky suspicion that they don't want to devote time/money on a warranty problem that is not a direct warranty with Acura.
Canadian imports are not warranted by Acura, the dealer uses a third party."

Hey, if you're happy - great. But anyone considering a Canadian MDX should be aware of the potential issues with buying a car sold in one country (dealer-to-dealer) and registered from day one in another. Caveat Emptor...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, I am happy. I had seen that post about the guy who had the Canadian vehicle and could not get it fixed. I don't know how much it cost to fix, if he ever fixed it, but I still think it would be far less than $2,500. Also, if I had the same problem, and Acura would not warranty it, then I am sure an Acura dealer would be happy to fix my vehicle because I would be paying cash. However, I doubt I would take it to an Acura dealership if I had to pay for it. I have always found the better quality mechanics to work at private shops. I have been especially happy with the shops that specialize in Hondas and Subarus. They seem to try harder to me.

When I was shopping for an MDX a dealer I went to used a Canadian model for a demo. The sales manager told me if they had to do warranty work on the vehicle, they would have to take it to Canada to have it repaired. According to my reading of the warranty, it would not be warranted because it is not registered to a person living in Canada. It is a very grey area, and I am sure some day it will be tested in the courts. It will be an interesting case - much more complex than the simplistic reading people on this board give it. Until that happens I will hope my MDX runs smoothly, but if there are problems, I certainly will not lose any sleep over it. Like I said before, I am a gambling man, and I think the odds are with me on this one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts