Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the most painful thing I've had to write since filing my Income Tax Return... Must part with my '01 Black-on-Black Canadian model (equivalent to Touring minus the Nav). Just got a company car (don't ask what it is...), and can't justify keeping the X in the garage.

The machine is exactly 1 year old and has 16,000 km (10,000 miles) on the odometer. Refer to my sig line for a list of accessories. Have been carefully applying Zaino from Day 1. Also have the extended 5-year Canadian warranty which is fully transferrable.

Asking $49,000 Canadian, $33,000 US. PM me at:

[email protected] or
[email protected]

I think I'll go finish my crying now....

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Pierre, that's too bad...you oughtta ask if the company would give you the equivalent of the co-car in monthly cash, so you could use it toward payments on the X...

Unless the co-car is a rolling billboard or something. :confused:

And sorry, but have to ask...what is it?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TheWorm said:
Pierre, that's too bad...you oughtta ask if the company would give you the equivalent of the co-car in monthly cash, so you could use it toward payments on the X...

Unless the co-car is a rolling billboard or something. :confused:

And sorry, but have to ask...what is it?
Hey Worm,

Did try to get the co. to opt for a car allowance vs. a car, but no dice. Told that the provision of a car was company policy (no rolling billboard). Was advised that it was not a good idea to not accept the car, since "it wouldn't be good for the other sales managers" (I work for an energy co.)..

I could keep the X, since it's mine free and clear, but, with only one other driver in the family (Altima is our other car -- used by Mrs. Pierre for 10-km round trip to work) and the co. car serving as our main vehicle, I cannot justify keeping that kind of unused capital in the garage.

The good news is that I will definitely get another new X one day; perhaps an '05 with 300 HP, etc.!!!!

The bad news: co. car is a '00 Windstar. Inherited it from my predecessor. The only upside is that it's miled out and I just ordered an '02 Grand Caravan Sport (yikes! I'll just have to get used to it...). Other upside is that all operating costs, including those associated with personal use, are covered by the co.

I'll keep a close tab on this forum. All of your advice has been great, and I'm sure it will prove invaluable when I get my next one.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Windstar to Caravan? I'd quit! :D

Agree that the X is an expensive piece of hardware to have collecting dust (and depreciating) in a garage. Best of luck -- I'm sure you won't have any difficulty selling it.

Just to clarify:

- The Canajun model is equivalent to a Touring (no nav; aka model 186) down here. The Premium is really the base (182/184).
- Is your extended warranty transferable to the US?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TheWorm said:
Just to clarify:

- The Canajun model is equivalent to a Touring (no nav; aka model 186) down here. The Premium is really the base (182/184).
- Is your extended warranty transferable to the US?

Worm,

Thanks for the clarification. I've edited my post.

Not sure about the transferability of the warranty to the US. I did buy it via Acura Canada at the time I picked up the X. I'd have to check with them to see if Acura USA would honour it.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Just trying to help you expand your market reach :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Isn't MSRP on a new Canadian "X" 48,000 Canadian(+950shipping)? And that's the Touring equivalent. I'm going to buy a Canadian MDX and it'll void the warranty when I bring it into the US, but Purchase price is almost exactly 30k US as of today's conversion. I've found a used one I'm considering with 18,000Km on it for $41,000 from a Canadian Acura Dealership. I'd be interested in yours but it seems that the price is not on par with the market. And in reply to the previous post, "Yes, it does void the Warranty"

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sailing216 said:
Isn't MSRP on a new Canadian "X" 48,000 Canadian(+950shipping)? And that's the Touring equivalent. I'm going to buy a Canadian MDX and it'll void the warranty when I bring it into the US, but Purchase price is almost exactly 30k US as of today's conversion. I've found a used one I'm considering with 18,000Km on it for $41,000 from a Canadian Acura Dealership. I'd be interested in yours but it seems that the price is not on par with the market. And in reply to the previous post, "Yes, it does void the Warranty"
An '02 X is indeed $48,000 + 950 shipping. However, you must also add the accessories and extended warranty I purchased (approx. $4600 all up) PLUS the Goods & Services Tax at 7%, you end up with a total purchase price of $57,350. This total would be more if you lived in a province with provincial sales tax (Alberta does not have one), which would add another 7 - 10 %, depending on where you live. I'd say my asking price is pretty darn fair.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Pierre,

I think that Sailing216 might have been suggesting that the amount paid may not correlate to the current market value. For example, if I were trying to decide whether to buy your X vs a new US X:

[1] I would pay $37,500 for a new 2002 Touring with 0 miles vs. $33,000 for your 2001 with 10,000 miles [I would save $4,500].

[2] Your MDX has no warranty, a new one has 4 yr/50,000 mi.

[3] I would have to pay sales tax on either [sorry you had to pay tax as well, but that doesn't help either of us].

Assuming I bought a replacement warranty [$2,000??], then my savings are now only $2,500. But to go further, a brand new MDX is worth at least $2,500 more in value. Granted your X has a lot of options; however, it is a Canadian vehicle which drops value in the US [I don't know how much].

I suspect the US market is bigger. Thus, sailing216 was suggesting that the vehicle might be overpriced for the US market .......

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
srpbep said:
Pierre,

I think that Sailing216 might have been suggesting that the amount paid may not correlate to the current market value. For example, if I were trying to decide whether to buy your X vs a new US X:

[1] I would pay $37,500 for a new 2002 Touring with 0 miles vs. $33,000 for your 2001 with 10,000 miles [I would save $4,500].

[2] Your MDX has no warranty, a new one has 4 yr/50,000 mi.

[3] I would have to pay sales tax on either [sorry you had to pay tax as well, but that doesn't help either of us].

Assuming I bought a replacement warranty [$2,000??], then my savings are now only $2,500. But to go further, a brand new MDX is worth at least $2,500 more in value. Granted your X has a lot of options; however, it is a Canadian vehicle which drops value in the US [I don't know how much].

I suspect the US market is bigger. Thus, sailing216 was suggesting that the vehicle might be overpriced for the US market .......
I honestly don't know what the market price is, since there are so few used on the market right now. I saw an '02 with no options and 10,000 km asking $52,000CDN. He got $51,000.

I am helping to set the Alberta market price, I guess.

PS: no GST when you sell privately, so the tax component is a significant one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pierre,

I'm not trying to devalue your listing. Please list the specifics about your extended warranty and how the No-GST works versus buying from a dealer for US folks. Maybe the listing should be different in explanations for Canada and the US. The Warranty is definitely voided from Acura, please list if your 3rd party is valid.
Does not having to pay GST benefit a US purchaser? If I pay GST I do get it back after filling out forms at Customs, but I do have to float 17% total Fed and Providence sales tax for a few weeks (Ontario). I wish you good luck in selling it. You may want to delete this post and post a new one or two with the specific benefits for each country. Have a nice day.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Done deal! Just sold it to a fellow in Toronto for CDN $48,500. Was asking $49,000. He pays for shipping ($800). I'm happy, so is he!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts