Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an 02 MDX and LOVED IT! traveled all over with my 3 kids and dog with our Yakima Skybox 21 Carbonite (which i paid almost $700 for).
I was super excited to purchase my 16 MDX with all it's pretty. Until I tried to go on a trip with the kids.
Not only did Acura mount my tow hitch slightly off (a different gripe), my box sits so far back it's not permitting my rear hatch to open all the way. Not realizing the first time, we opened the hatch only to have it hit the box and scratch up the paint on the spoiler :-(
I've got the box clamps moved up as far as they can go, but it still hits. It also seems to lift up due to the crossbars being mounted so far back on the car.
I'm hoping ANYONE on this site has found a work around besides buying a new box. Mine is in perfect condition and fits our needs.
I did call Acura with my complaint but their only suggestion was to buy a new box.
Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I’ve had the crossbars off. You’re out of luck when it comes to moving them. The roof rails are designed in such a way that the crossbars can only screw into them in one place.

Your only options would be:
1. A new box that fits the crossbar location acceptably,
2. An aftermarket roof rack that is adjustable,
3. A custom fab attachment system that allows your existing box to be securely fitted to the existing cross rails further forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you, that's what i was afraid of.
I’ve had the crossbars off. You’re out of luck when it comes to moving them. The roof rails are designed in such a way that the crossbars can only screw into them in one place.

Your only options would be:
1. A new box that fits the crossbar location acceptably,
2. An aftermarket roof rack that is adjustable,
3. A custom fab attachment system that allows your existing box to be securely fitted to the existing cross rails further forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
t

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah it was also one of my gripes with the fixed crossbars. The liftgate contacts my ski roof box if I let it go all the way up. One workaround to this is if you press and hold the lift gate button for a couple seconds when opening it disengages the power lift gate and allows you to manually open. Then you can carefully raise it and only lift up until it contacts the box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts