Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I've searched through the "first oil change" threads already, so please don't yell at me :)

I know that we're suppossed to wait for the first oil change because there's some special fluid that is in the oil that comes with a new vehicle. My question is: do we also hold off on ADDING oil if you get too low? Has anyone had to "sweat out" low oil levels before their first change? I just got my X, but I wanted to know if the oil it comes with would last that long. And if it is okay to add, what oil do you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance for all your help,

Toper<---MDX newbie

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I have never owned a vehicle that has needed to be topped off. I see people topping off oil at gas stations and wonder if I should do the same. I pop the hood every so often(to look at the beast underneath:))and oil is always within the proper range. Just curious if MDX owners have needed to top off oil between oil changes.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I'm with the skater...

...odds are EXTREMELY small that any new motor, especially a Honda, is going to cosume ANY oil when new.

If you had to add, just use mineral oil with the same viscosity as loaded at the factory. During the whole warranty period, if you are are ever down enough to have to add oil it is probably worth having the dealer note it. They will undoubtably call ANY oil consumption that DOES NOT result in a huge blie cloud 'normal', but in the really off chance you need a ring job at 50,001 miles it couldn't hurt to have a paper trail to go along with the blue cloud...

·
Registered
131 Posts
No problem

If you need to add oil, go right ahead.
You will not be diluting the factory mix by much.

As for needing to add oil, I would probably have it added at a dealer if I had a car that used more than 1/2 a quart during the first 5000 miles or so. (Just to get a service record for later).
If it needs less than 1/2 a quart, I would not do anything nor worry.
Remember, the engine will be fine all the way down to the low line.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Question.
I had my first oil change last week at the dealership and last night checked the dip stick. The oil level is registering at the lower of the two level indicators. Does that that mean I am low on oil, and if so, by how much? There are no signs of leaking so maybe the dealer did not the proper amount of oil during the change.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
R Stevens,

As long as the oil level is within the those two points on the stick, you are fine.

As my understanding, when engine is cold and not running, the indication will be lower. When engine is HOT and running, you could see it all the way up to max line.

BTW, I think Pohanka Acura charged too much on the oil change. If I am not mistaking, they charge $32 with regular oil. :mad:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Don't check the oil while the engine is running.

You can check it HOT, where it might expand to the MAX full line (but probably not...).

No need to risk your limbs and/or a possible mess checking the oil while the motor is running.

JTM said:
R Stevens,

As long as the oil level is within the those two points on the stick, you are fine.

As my understanding, when engine is cold and not running, the indication will be lower. When engine is HOT and running, you could see it all the way up to max line.

BTW, I think Pohanka Acura charged too much on the oil change. If I am not mistaking, they charge $32 with regular oil. :mad:

·
Registered
327 Posts
JTM said:
R Stevens,

JTM, Yes Pohanka charged $32 less a 10% discount from a letter they sent me. They told me they used Honda oil, but it was listed as Sunoco on the service receipt.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Don't check the oil while the engine is running.

renov8r said:
You can check it HOT, where it might expand to the MAX full line (but probably not...).

No need to risk your limbs and/or a possible mess checking the oil while the motor is running.

The difference between a cold engine and a warm one turned off for at least 5 or 10 minutes is negligible as far as oil level in my opinion.
I always check oil level cold, unless I suspect I am losing some.
But the tranny fluid is to be checked hot, but the engine OFF.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Re: Oil Added to New Engines

renov8r said:
...odds are EXTREMELY small that any new motor, especially a Honda, is going to cosume ANY oil when new.

My 1992 GMC P/U has needed oil between all oil changes even when it was new. When new I had to add a quart at about 2400 miles. (changed every 3000 miles) At 40,000 miles I had to add a quart every 2000 miles. Now with over 112000 miles I need to add a quart about every 1500 miles.

Our 93 Volvo has 194000 miles and never needs oil between changes. We change oil in the Volvo every 3000 miles. It now is almost a quart low at 3000 miles.

I did my first oil change on the MDX at about 5500 miles and it was only slightly below the top hole of the dipstick when I had it changed.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
As others have already said, its OK to add oil ...

... but I'd be concerned why the oil was low. A new MDX should not need any oil.:confused:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Any loss of oil in a new vehicle is something to be concerned about. The most common cause of oil consumption today is usually a head gasket problem, not blow-by on your piston rings. The aluminum heads used on today's engines have much higher coefficients of thermal expansion (vs iron heads) and they really test the sealing capabilities of the head gaskets. Note: Al heads on an Al block can be even tougher on the gasket depending on how much distortion/warping occurs.

If your lucky, it will leak to the outside and you will start noticing an oil spot where you park. If your not so lucky, the oil may blow into your cooling system. Even minor amounts of oil in your antifreeze make it look cloudy or muddy. Take a look in your overflow reservoir, if the fluid doesn't look pristine (irridescent green-yellow) you may have a problem. Note: A head gasket can leak a long time before the leak will become big enough to fail a pressure test (one of the most common diagnostic techniques).

Once, the leak path becomes big enough, your coolant will usually flow into the piston. At this point things go down hill rapidly, since the engine will typically overheat stranding you on some stretch of highway on a holiday weekend.

So check it out. My last Honda product, a 1995 Civic, failed it's head gasket at 36,500 miles so it can happen to vehicles that have excellent reputations for reliability.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Actually, it is not that unusual for some cars to require a small amount of oil to be added before the first change. Say a 1/2 qt. Some use a little oil as the rings seat.

But normally you should never have to add oil to the X based on what I and others have observed. And it's been stated these engines break in over a prolonged period, so oil usage should be negligible.

Would I be alarmed? No, I would just wait for the next oil change interval and see if the problem still exists or has worsened then definitely; "Acura we have a problem!".
But if the oil starts approaching the lower mark I would definitely add a little to at least keep it in the 'zone'.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts