Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking at an MDX and are considering the base model. If we forgo the Tech Package and thus the Navigation system, I'm wondering what level of integration our Phones have with the Car.

I would much rather rely on Google Maps on my Android phone for updated maps and traffic, than the Acura system. Can turn-by-turn directions on the Navigation unit in my phone be read out over the car's speakers? Will the monitors in the car display any info about turn-by-turn directions, or a map? My assumption is that it will not display a map but wanted to confirm.

Acura's website has information pertaining to my phone's compatibility for voice calling and playing music, but not anything around Navigation.

Is there a difference in integration between Android or iOS?

·
Registered
9 Posts
We are looking at an MDX and are considering the base model. If we forgo the Tech Package and thus the Navigation system, I'm wondering what level of integration our Phones have with the Car.

I would much rather rely on Google Maps on my Android phone for updated maps and traffic, than the Acura system. Can turn-by-turn directions on the Navigation unit in my phone be read out over the car's speakers? Will the monitors in the car display any info about turn-by-turn directions, or a map? My assumption is that it will not display a map but wanted to confirm.

Acura's website has information pertaining to my phone's compatibility for voice calling and playing music, but not anything around Navigation.

Is there a difference in integration between Android or iOS?
Short answer would be to get a car phone mount and play the turn by turn directions through the speakers via Bluetooth. alltrimshavebluetoothconnectivity.If you need the phone to appear on your top screen there are a few companies that well mirror your phone to the screen so whatever is on the screen shows up on the dashboard. I would reserve this for more technologies oriented people since you have to have a specific iphone out specific Android and have to pay about 400 to 500 dollars for install.

I'm actually thinking of doing this for my tech mdx so i can see waze on the screen.

Sent from my ASUS_Z016D using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
If it was easy to mirror a phone's display on the vehicle screen they wouldn't sell any Nav systems...and they make plenty of money on the Nav systems. What you're describing is somewhat what happens in vehicles that support Apple Carplay or Android Auto. The MDX doesn't support that. Another alternative would be to get an aftermarket kit and tear into the Nav system to mirror the phone's display but that's somewhat costly, might end up with extra rattles, and would void the warranty in that area of the vehicle.

Personally I don't think a phone mount is a good substitute for a built-in Nav since the phone's screen is so small and trying to operate the phone while driving is somewhat difficult and is dangerous - people trying to do that are weaving all over roads every day.

I don't think the MDX's Nav system is all it could be but it basically works and is useful for the times one wants or needs Nav.

I'm fairly certain your phone's turn by turn directions would come through the vehicle's speakers if the phone was connected via USB or bluetooth. For example, I generally stream audio from my phone while driving the MDX and if at the same time I was having the phone give turn by turn I think it'd come through the speakers but I'm not 100% on this since it's been a while since I would have tried that. Someone else here can probably confirm this simple setup/use though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If it was easy to mirror a phone's display on the vehicle screen they wouldn't sell any Nav systems...and they make plenty of money on the Nav systems. What you're describing is somewhat what happens in vehicles that support Apple Carplay or Android Auto. The MDX doesn't support that. Another alternative would be to get an aftermarket kit and tear into the Nav system to mirror the phone's display but that's somewhat costly, might end up with extra rattles, and would void the warranty in that area of the vehicle.

Personally I don't think a phone mount is a good substitute for a built-in Nav since the phone's screen is so small and trying to operate the phone while driving is somewhat difficult and is dangerous - people trying to do that are weaving all over roads every day.

I don't think the MDX's Nav system is all it could be but it basically works and is useful for the times one wants or needs Nav.

I'm fairly certain your phone's turn by turn directions would come through the vehicle's speakers if the phone was connected via USB or bluetooth. For example, I generally stream audio from my phone while driving the MDX and if at the same time I was having the phone give turn by turn I think it'd come through the speakers but I'm not 100% on this since it's been a while since I would have tried that. Someone else here can probably confirm this simple setup/use though.
This might sound VERY dumbed down so I must apologize if it comes across that way. To clarify, in order to hear the sound through the speakers while using the phones gps/satnav you must connect the phone to Bluetooth and select bluetooth streaming. It is done through the same way you would listen to music as mdxstang mentions. You can stream bluetooth music from phone AND have navigation on the phone that reads out turn by turn directions simultaneously. Some navigation apps on the phone temporarily pause audio so that turn bybturn directions are hard clearly. Turn by turn can only be hard tgrough the bluetooth or aux line in connection. You can listen to music simultaneously but only as it streams fromthe phone. You can not hear turn.by turn voice prompts unless you have the head unit selected to play through bluetooth sttreaming or aux line in. You cannot listen to the amfmxm radio, cd or any other audio source and expect to hear the directions through the speakers as the audio from the phone is running thriugh bluetooth and will not interrupt/override what you are listening to on any other audio sources since tge phone is only connected to the car via bluetooth streaming. Same applies if you use the line in aux jack to listen to audio from the phone. only difference is that you must select and play audio through the aux/line in button on the head unit.

Just bought my mdx last week but Most cars, foreign and domestic do this. Bluetooth streaming will play any sound that comes from the phone . This includes music, youtube, netflix or maps (waze applemaps, google maps etc)

also the phone mirroring I mentioned (not apple carplay or android auto) is an after market install that does run the risk of voiding warranty. Here is a link from YouTube.

https://youtu.be/lPKrWifK_hc

Sent from my ASUS_Z016D using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I must caution that navi directions from the phone over BT sound produces a delay of about 3 seconds so be mindful and watch the screen for upcoming turns. If you're driving fast (e.g. freeway) you can end up missing things like staying left or right at an exit that goes to cardinal directions if you solely rely on the audio.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I must caution that navi directions from the phone over BT sound produces a delay of about 3 seconds so be mindful and watch the screen for upcoming turns. If you're driving fast (e.g. freeway) you can end up missing things like staying left or right at an exit that goes to cardinal directions if you solely rely on the audio.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Yes. I just noticed this while watching a podcast. There is a bit of a delay that I noticed

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts