Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2003 TL and order my MDX (Nighthawk Black w/ Saddle and Navi) the other day. I am wanting to have one key and fob for both vehicles. I know that many on this board have both vehicles, has anyone else done this? Is it possible?

Thank you,
David

·
Registered
91 Posts
This sound like it would be very expensive to do as you would have to remove the locking cylinders from both cars and replace them with two sets that are keyed the same.

From what I understood, you can't just rekey one set of locks on these cars.

This is a question for Tim

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Possible? Yes. You could probably even program them to the same remote. You'd have to get matching transponders, and have all of your locks rekeyed, but it can probably be done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since I'm just ordering the MDX can I not request it be assembled with the same transponder as the TL?

I can deal with different keys, but to use the same fob would be very handy.

David

·
Registered
616 Posts
dlfigg01 said:
Since I'm just ordering the MDX can I not request it be assembled with the same transponder as the TL?

I can deal with different keys, but to use the same fob would be very handy.

David
1)You are not actually "ordering" an MDX. You are putting your name on a "list" to get the next one that matches your request that is made available to the dealer.

2)The MDX and the TL are made on different assembly lines in different cities in different countries.

3)No major manufacturer, other than Rolls Royce (and some factory-custom Mercedes Benzes), will allow the customer to request *special* components included in the assembly of an automobile.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
There seems to be something inherently wrong with the concept of the same key and/or code for 2 different cars. I understand the convenience, but maybe because I never thought of it before.
However, if you had 2 Ford products (sorry...) they have a user programmable keypad. You can program it to any 5 digits. But the remote coding can not be compromised.
You could have security systems installed in both vehicles with the same code if the installer is willing to do it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
As convient as it may seem to have the fobs coded the same, think about the proximity of the remotes...If you drive one car and use the key fob, you will unlock both cars. Being in an area where my cars are generally parked outside, it may not be a good thing!

·
Registered
31 Posts
congrats to dlfigg01

I don't have any input concerning the dual use of a single key.

However, We also are the proud owners of a 2003 TL (Nighthawk Black Pearl) and a 2002 MDX (Redrock Pearl).

It's such a stress reliever to walk into the garage and have to decide which one to take for a drive.

We enjoy both. My wife had dubbed the TL as "Blackhawk Down".... from the movie and because I put on the spoiler and lower body kit which makes it look like it sits a little lower.

:18: :18:

·
Registered
42 Posts
We are all in this society where each person drives a car. For X owners who tend to be in a > 1 household, I would guess many people will get to drive more than 1 car. Most cars nowadays has keyless entry, and car alarm remotes. These remotes are each clumsy and it gets worse when you have more than 1.

So the question is: is there any gadget that can control multiple vehicles?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the remotes could be programmed, or is it the car that is programmed for the remote - either way, it seems like one fob should be able to control two cars - I am thinking about trying this myself, if I'm successful, I'll post the results (I might even post it if I fail!)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've tried this and it does not work. The remote learns the car and it can only learn one car. If someboby figures out a way, let us know.

·
Registered
41 Posts
One remote can definately control two same-model cars. You teach the car to respond to the remote, and the car doesn't know if another car has already been programmed to respond to that remote. When you hit lock, both will lock. When you hit unlock, both will unlock; the car you don't open will lock itself in 30 seconds, minimizing the risk of theft.

I don't know if TL remotes, with their Trunk button, will work on an MDX, and you didn't say if you ordered the Touring Pkg; if not Touring, the 2003 TL fobs with memory seat linkage might not work.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thanks, mj, I'll be in touch!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello Counselor,

Stop by with the MDX and both TL-S remotes and we'll see if it works.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
mjhorwitz said:
One remote can definately control two same-model cars. You teach the car to respond to the remote, and the car doesn't know if another car has already been programmed to respond to that remote. When you hit lock, both will lock. When you hit unlock, both will unlock; the car you don't open will lock itself in 30 seconds, minimizing the risk of theft.

I don't know if TL remotes, with their Trunk button, will work on an MDX, and you didn't say if you ordered the Touring Pkg; if not Touring, the 2003 TL fobs with memory seat linkage might not work.
Good point, I forgot about the auto relock feature.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Again, the remote learns the car and it can only learn one car. I'll be more than happy if someone can prove me wrong by making this work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
MHarnois, the remote is a transmitter, not a receiver. It can only send, and can't receive, the way your Homelink tranceiver can (and can therefore be "taught"). Your local Acura dealership can show you how to program your cars to accept new remotes (in case you lose one and need to replace it with a new one).

·
Registered
180 Posts
YES you can program the SAME remote to operate BOTH cars.
This was done with one remote a 2000 Accord EX and 2001 MDX.
Here is a transcript of the instructions:

NOTE: the system will accept upto 3 transmitters. The transmitter
codes are stored in a stacking-type memory. If a fourth transmitter
is programmed, the code for the first transmitter will be erased.

1. turn the ignition switch ON
2. within 4 seconds, press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the
transmitter. Make sure it is aimed at the receiver unit under the audio unit (or in some Honda/Acura cars, behind the glove box).
3. within 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch to LOCK
4. repeat steps 1, 2, and 3 two more times. Use the same transmitter used in step 2.
5. within 4 seconds, turn the ignition switch oN
6. within 4 seconds, press "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the
same transmitter. Make sure the power door locks cycle to confirm
that the system is in programming mode. Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button again.
7. press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on each transmitter you want to program. Make sure the power door locks cycle after you push each transmitter button to confirm the system accepted the transmitter's code
8. turn iginition switch to LOCK to exit program mode

Hope this helps. Try it, you can always undo it :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts